Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic | 72 praises

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Planning to do a self drive in Japan. Any bro here have experience with rental cars?

I did some research, one of the recommended car rental is Times cars. http://www.timescar-rental.com/. Are there any other recommended car rental companies with help desk staffs that speak English.

Secondly, understand the Garmin GPS doesn't have maps for Japan, so need to use the GPS provided by the rental car. And they use map codes or phone numbers to locate your destinations. Will be my first time using map codes, care to share your experience?

I checked the map code here http://www.mapion.co.jp/, one of the draw back of using map codes is it doesn't give the exact location. Your destination could be off by 50-100m from the actual destination. Hence i'm a little worry here.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:39 AM

Piyopico
  • Piyopico
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I just did 6 days self drive covering about 1100km.

It's fun.

Use your iPhone Google map and have someone navigate for you on the smaller mountain roads cos the turns can be very abrupt. Rent from companies that has GPS in English.

Driving is generally stress free. Great etiquette all round once you get out of Toyko.

If you go into the mountains just chill and follow the car in front. Mostly single lane and no overtaking.

Enjoy.
orion2006 praised this

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

Genes
  • Genes
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Bavarian can helps u

iPhone or iMia?

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Stratovarius
  • Premium member
    Stratovarius
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Planning to do a self drive in Japan. Any bro here have experience with rental cars?

I did some research, one of the recommended car rental is Times cars. http://www.timescar-rental.com/. Are there any other recommended car rental companies with help desk staffs that speak English.

Secondly, understand the Garmin GPS doesn't have maps for Japan, so need to use the GPS provided by the rental car. And they use map codes or phone numbers to locate your destinations. Will be my first time using map codes, care to share your experience?

I checked the map code here http://www.mapion.co.jp/, one of the draw back of using map codes is it doesn't give the exact location. Your destination could be off by 50-100m from the actual destination. Hence i'm a little worry here.

Where will you be driving?

Self drove in Hokkaido in July. Went with Toyota rentals. Think they are the few ones who knows how to speak English. I also got the express way pass. Its a one time payment so you don't need to pay the actual tolls. Will save you some bucks. One thing to note is the rental cost is based on the time and date you collect and return the car. I return mine 2 hrs before the stated time and got some money back. [thumbsup]

I rented their GPS (need to specify you need it in English) and backup with the google map on my hp (bought data sim there) as I can't find some of the map codes there (can't find a melon farm using the gps). :yuush:. Map codes do differ from different sources so note all of them down before travelling in case one of them does not work. Google map is still useful when you are walking around in the city. They are not cheap though. 2 weeks is about 35 SGD.

Accuracy is quite okay except one time the map direct me to go up a very steep and narrow road. Thinking its too dangerous, I detour and managed to get back on track. Other than that, not much issues. You can normally see signage way before reaching your destination. Another advice is to follow the tour buses when you are reaching your destination. They will show you the parking areas.

orion2006 praised this

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Google Map is the way to go - the locals use it too. However, in certain rural areas in the mountains or valleys there may be weak or no 3G/LTE signals, so download the offline areas where you can, and use the in-car Japanese GPS (usually free) as back up if you can understand some basic Japanese - English GPS is usually a paid service.

In certain areas, you can also get a tourist expressway pass for a flat rate. You can also rent ETC to avoid paying cash. Otherwise, you can always pay cash despite the hassle - some segments of the expressways requires you to show your receipt to avoid duplicate payment, so keep the last one.

Learn to speak basic Japanese will help in every way - asking for directions, look for parking, filling petrol, buying food, etc. 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Where will you be driving?

Self drove in Hokkaido in July. Went with Toyota rentals. Think they are the few ones who knows how to speak English. I also got the express way pass. Its a one time payment so you don't need to pay the actual tolls. Will save you some bucks. One thing to note is the rental cost is based on the time and date you collect and return the car. I return mine 2 hrs before the stated time and got some money back. [thumbsup]

I rented their GPS (need to specify you need it in English) and backup with the google map on my hp (bought data sim there) as I can't find some of the map codes there (can't find a melon farm using the gps). :yuush:. Map codes do differ from different sources so note all of them down before travelling in case one of them does not work. Google map is still useful when you are walking around in the city. They are not cheap though. 2 weeks is about 35 SGD.

Accuracy is quite okay except one time the map direct me to go up a very steep and narrow road. Thinking its too dangerous, I detour and managed to get back on track. Other than that, not much issues. You can normally see signage way before reaching your destination. Another advice is to follow the tour buses when you are reaching your destination. They will show you the parking areas.

You are right, finding car parks is a challenge. The signage are in Japanese, if park at the wrong place, can get fine.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Bavarian can helps u

Thanks Genes.

Anyone here has experience in installing openstreet maps for Garmin? . I couldn't download gmapsupp.img needed for the Gamin GPS? where else can I download this file?

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:57 PM

Bavarian

Just saw your thread on self drive in Japan. Perhaps you can provide us with more details like area you are travelling, time of travel and some itinenary etc.
I think, therefore I am.
I think so, therefore I erm...

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Just saw your thread on self drive in Japan. Perhaps you can provide us with more details like area you are travelling, time of travel and some itinenary etc.

Planning to do a self drive at Kyushu, Spring or Autumn.

Here is a general itinenary. 

Fukuoka
- Canal City Hakata
- Mt Inasa 
- Dazaifu Tenmangu

Nagasaki
- Kuchinotsu Port - Dolphin
- Car ferry, Shimabara Port to Kumamoto Port

Kagoshima
- Tenmonkan Shopping Street
- Saraku Sand Bath Hall

Sakurajima
- Car ferry, Kagoshima port to Sakurajima Port
- Arimura Lava Observatory
- Kurokami Buried Shrine Gate

Takachiho
- Takachiho Gorge

Beppu
- Hell Beppu
- Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway
- Takasakiyama Nature Zoo

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

Bavarian

Planning to do a self drive at Kyushu, Spring or Autumn.

Here is a general itinenary.

Fukuoka
- Canal City Hakata
- Mt Inasa
- Dazaifu Tenmangu

Nagasaki
- Kuchinotsu Port - Dolphin
- Car ferry, Shimabara Port to Kumamoto Port

Kagoshima
- Tenmonkan Shopping Street
- Saraku Sand Bath Hall

Sakurajima
- Car ferry, Kagoshima port to Sakurajima Port
- Arimura Lava Observatory
- Kurokami Buried Shrine Gate

Takachiho
- Takachiho Gorge

Beppu
- Hell Beppu
- Kintetsu Beppu Ropeway
- Takasakiyama Nature Zoo

I have not done this route. But itis relavtively easy to drive in Japan as long as you stay away from the cities.

I usually use Time car rental or Nippon rent a car. They are pretty excellant. JR, Toyota and Nissan do car rentals too. If you are picking up from major tourist area, likelihood they will have an english speaking staff or even Chinese speaking. If small towns, then good luck, but there isn't really much to talk about anyway. Remember to ask fuel type. Usually it is 'reh-giu-ra'.

I see more and more English GPS, especially from popular tourist spots. They are easy to use and relatively accurate. Search by phone number and map code is straight forward. You might get a problem in town areas because everything is so close by. Other than that, it usually brings me right to the place or within 100m or so. Always rely on Mark 1 eyeball when you are that close. The GPS will give you 5 choices of route i.e Recommended, shortest, most expensive, least expensive etc.

Never used Garmin but I will back up car GPS with google map on iphone or better still, iPad. Wifi connection would be useful. Worked for me so far. If really, really kiasu, tourist maps can always be picked up at tourist info, hotel or train station. And you can buy really detailed ones for the area from convenience store.

Get updates on road information, closure and weather from their local websites daily. Especially if you are driving in the mountain area.

Spring and Autumm season might not have too much snow and ice but you might want to check the mountain areas again. Snow tyres are optional during this period and cost money.

Have a safe drive.
TameDriver and Billcoke praised this
I think, therefore I am.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I went during winter this year to Hokkaido and the roads

had snow and ice and I would not drive under these conditions.

So best is late spring or early autumn so no danger on driving on

slippery roads. The good thing is Japan people drive on the same

side of the road as us. I was driving in Korea and you should have seen

the shock on the drivers face when I forgot to turn into the correct lane.

I lost one pair of my favourite pants and underwear that day.

:D

Cosmicclaw praised this
The Secret to Happiness
is to Simplify and
not to Multiply.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Snow is OK with the right tires. Black ice are the killer.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

Bavarian

I went during winter this year to Hokkaido and the roads

had snow and ice and I would not drive under these conditions.

So best is late spring or early autumn so no danger on driving on

slippery roads. The good thing is Japan people drive on the same

side of the road as us. I was driving in Korea and you should have seen

the shock on the drivers face when I forgot to turn into the correct lane.

I lost one pair of my favourite pants and underwear that day.

:D

LoL. Snow, ice, sleet, slush and everything. Winter driving in Hokkdaido is an experience for SG drivers. Hokkdaido is much easier covered self drive. Just keep the distanct short and don't rush. Allow 2-3 times the time that google tells you. Even in autumm and spring, some areas will snow just becos they feel like it. Ice will form becos they feel like it. And mountain roads will close becos they feel like it too. Perfect.
Jamesc praised this
I think, therefore I am.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I have not done this route. But itis relavtively easy to drive in Japan as long as you stay away from the cities.

I usually use Time car rental or Nippon rent a car. They are pretty excellant. JR, Toyota and Nissan do car rentals too. If you are picking up from major tourist area, likelihood they will have an english speaking staff or even Chinese speaking. If small towns, then good luck, but there isn't really much to talk about anyway. Remember to ask fuel type. Usually it is 'reh-giu-ra'.

I see more and more English GPS, especially from popular tourist spots. They are easy to use and relatively accurate. Search by phone number and map code is straight forward. You might get a problem in town areas because everything is so close by. Other than that, it usually brings me right to the place or within 100m or so. Always rely on Mark 1 eyeball when you are that close. The GPS will give you 5 choices of route i.e Recommended, shortest, most expensive, least expensive etc.

Never used Garmin but I will back up car GPS with google map on iphone or better still, iPad. Wifi connection would be useful. Worked for me so far. If really, really kiasu, tourist maps can always be picked up at tourist info, hotel or train station. And you can buy really detailed ones for the area from convenience store.

Get updates on road information, closure and weather from their local websites daily. Especially if you are driving in the mountain area.

Spring and Autumm season might not have too much snow and ice but you might want to check the mountain areas again. Snow tyres are optional during this period and cost money.

Have a safe drive.

Thanks for reminding on the fuel type, I often oversight this for road trips.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Bavarian

Thanks for reminding on the fuel type, I often oversight this for road trips.

I forget 101 things every trip... especially that 12vcar charger
I think, therefore I am.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Usually fuel type is on the cover.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I forget 101 things every trip... especially that 12vcar charger

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type

2. 12 V car charger

Question:

---------

1. For ETC cards on highway, do they have unlimited usage for a flat fee? Aussie car rental has unlimited usage.

2. For parking, payment in cash at parking machines or payment with ETC cards like SG's cash cards?

3. Does this parking sign mean paid parking for 60mins, from 8:00 to 20:00?

120px-Japan_road_sign_318_svg.png

4. For car insurance, does Time or Nippon Car Rental offer full insurance package? package including excess and co payment. 

Edited by Billcoke, 14 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

Bavarian

101 things to remember for road trips.

1. Ask for fuel type
2. 12 V car charger

Question:
---------
1. For ETC cards, do they have unlimited usage for a flat fee?
2. For parking, do they pay in cash at parking machines or payment with ETC cards like SG's cash cards cards?

3. Does this parking sign mean paid parking for 60mins, from 8:00 to 20:00?
120px-Japan_road_sign_318_svg.png

Someone mentioned got flat fee for ETC charges but I dun rmb that, maybe different region, companies. The Expressway tolls are calculated by mileage and are pretty expensive. Their ETC card is similar to our ERP but you can always opt to pay by cash at Expressways (which I usually do). Some car companies charge extra if you use their ETC.

Anyway, their national highway (国道), means normal roads i.e non-expressway. So be careful wih those as they can lead you to the most ulu places if you try to save on the tolls (which happens to me alot).

Parking is old school cash. Parking charges can be exorbitant in town area if you manage to find one. I don't recommend driving around town.

Not sure what that sign means but most of the time it is not a major problem. It's just like watching JAV, you dun haf to understand what they are saying but you figure out anyway.

Yes, they will ask if you want to insure your insurance at the counter usually.
I think, therefore I am.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

Billcoke
  • Billcoke
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Watching JAV, just follow  LOL....

Edited by Billcoke, 14 November 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Flat fee is for designated regions promoted by tourism agencies. Check with rental company. Otherwise, tolls are expensive indeed. ETC typically has rental charges. It's like our cash card rubbish, but probably more similar to EZpass in U.S. East Coast or California FasTrak, pay by credit card later. 

Parking in town, one option is to park at shopping malls like Isetan where they offer parking rebate with minimum spending - either you can buy something or eat something.

When unsure, just ask - even with broken English / Japanese.

Someone mentioned got flat fee for ETC charges but I dun rmb that, maybe different region, companies. The Expressway tolls are calculated by mileage and are pretty expensive. Their ETC card is similar to our ERP but you can always opt to pay by cash at Expressways (which I usually do). Some car companies charge extra if you use their ETC.

Anyway, their national highway (国道), means normal roads i.e non-expressway. So be careful wih those as they can lead you to the most ulu places if you try to save on the tolls (which happens to me alot).

Parking is old school cash. Parking charges can be exorbitant in town area if you manage to find one. I don't recommend driving around town.

Not sure what that sign means but most of the time it is not a major problem. It's just like watching JAV, you dun haf to understand what they are saying but you figure out anyway.

Yes, they will ask if you want to insure your insurance at the counter usually.

Bavarian praised this

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: self drive, japan, tour, self and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users