Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic | 117 praises

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Yeobt
  • Yeobt
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi,

my son is getting his driving license soon.

do i need to add his name into my motor insurance if he drives only occasionally (weekly) and when i am sitting beside him?

how much would it costs (estimate) to add a new driver who is 18 onto my existing motor insurance coverage? my current coverage is $600+ 

what if (touch wood) when his name is not included in my motor insurance and we hit someone when he was the driver, would the insurance still cover us?

am not sure about the insurance coverage now comparing to my time when i was a teen driving my dad's car.   

TIA  [wave]

(i love my old car like i love my money, so i decided to keep an old car and keep my money from LTA)  [thumbsup] 

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Bicolor
  • Premium member
    Bicolor
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Check your existing policy.

If yours is a named driver policy and explicitly prohibits others from driving, better not to let him drive without adding his name.

Some policies do not prohibit others from driving but will impose a higher excess for unnamed drivers, and even higher excess for young and inexperienced drivers. If that's the case, it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of paying more for his name to be added in vs taking the risk of higher excess if your son (touch wood) is liable for any incident.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I think better to add name. Better safe than sorry.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

7hm
  • Premium member
    7hm
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I seem to recall you asking a question like this before, sir taxiuncle. [wave]

But anyway, confirm your premium will rise if you add his name, because he is viewed as a higher liability due to his age and inexperience.

But definitely lower than if the policy was in his name to begin with.

As Bicolor says, check the terms of the existing policy. Some extend reduced coverage to all drivers "given the permission of the policy holder", which is usually acceptable if your son will not be driving very frequently, but some of these "permissions" don't accept young and inexperienced.

If your son however will be driving frequently, or your policy does not give any such coverage to non-named drivers, it is in your best interest to place him as a named driver for peace of mind.

So I would say, first thing check current policy terms. If he's covered through the "permission" terms, no need to add him in if he is driving very rarely. If not covered at all, or he is driving often, best to add him in.

Edit: Oh, and congratulations to your son!

Edited by 7hm, 23 October 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Driving car, not funny, bid for car with COE, ERP, road tax, PARF until you want to barf

Dabbler in digital graphics, computer assembly, tech and photography.
「さぁ、今、手を伸ばして 」

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If car under ur name then u must be first driver

Then add his name. Normally its cheaper cos his second driver.

But if car under his name then u add u name as second driver, it may reduce the insurance premium.
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Also depends on the Make of the Car,if Yours is just a B&B model like Altis,it is far cheaper,if your car is a High Performance Sports Car,like GTR ....then it will be very expensive.

Fairlady.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Yeobt
  • Yeobt
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I seem to recall you asking a question like this before, sir taxiuncle. [wave]

Edit: Oh, and congratulations to your son!

[wave]

haven't pass his license yet, but is already planning with a long list of where to go with his gf driving my car when i drive my taxi ... :a-confused:

thanks all, will go check my insurance term.

Edited by Yeobt, 23 October 2016 - 09:53 PM.

(i love my old car like i love my money, so i decided to keep an old car and keep my money from LTA)  [thumbsup] 

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    Supercharged
    Author Image

If car under ur name then u must be first driver

Then add his name. Normally its cheaper cos his second driver.

But if car under his name then u add u name as second driver, it may reduce the insurance premium.

Does it matter if the named second driver drives more than the first driver???

There is no law without enforcement

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think you need to restrict your son to drive only when you are around. Like only during family outing. Only when you are comfortable with his driving then you let him go solo. I'm not kidding else you will regret it.

Thaiyotakamli praised this
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

Yeobt
  • Yeobt
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I think you need to restrict your son to drive only when you are around. Like only during family outing. Only when you are comfortable with his driving then you let him go solo. I'm not kidding else you will regret it.

ya, thats what i told him too. 

accident is very expensive. 

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Depends on your current insurance. When I started driving, my dad gave me his car. But his car insurance got no named driver. Anyone can drive. We did ask the insurer and they told us no need to inform them who is driving the car.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:55 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Does it matter if the named second driver drives more than the first driver???

They know meh? Haha

Depends on your current insurance. When I started driving, my dad gave me his car. But his car insurance got no named driver. Anyone can drive. We did ask the insurer and they told us no need to inform them who is driving the car.

Yes some insurance allow that but they got high excess for drivers below 27 yrs old.

For example ur dad excess $500 but any unnamed driver below 27 need to pay $1.5k. If above 27 ok

ya, thats what i told him too.

accident is very expensive.

And put car cam if he drive alone, also install app to check his driving behavior

Sometimes when theres no parent ard, a kid can drive like F2F haha

[wave]

haven't pass his license yet, but is already planning with a long list of where to go with his gf driving my car when i drive my taxi ... :a-confused:

thanks all, will go check my insurance term.

Make sure u hold his passport in case he go bring ur car clear carbon up north lol

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

Yeobt
  • Yeobt
    Supercharged
    Author Image

And put car cam if he drive alone, also install app to check his driving behavior

any good apps to suggest? DL onto my son's hp?

i just read my motor policy. if my car is driven by a unnamed driver age below 27 and less than 1 year driving exp, the excess is $2500.

hmmm...maybe i should check how much is to add my son name into the insurance to avoid hefty excess should anything happens.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i just read my motor policy. if my car is driven by a unnamed driver age below 27 and less than 1 year driving exp, the excess is $2500.
hmmm...maybe i should check how much is to add my son name into the insurance to avoid hefty excess should anything happens.

Yes first year better add his name to the policy. U may pay more for premium but lesser on the excess (touch wood)

Not sure which app. I nvr download but heard ntuc insurance having this thingy tracing driver's behavior based on app

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:51 PM

Kennnny
  • Kennnny
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Lol use apps siboh....might as well I suggest u give a go off for few days driving taxi and just spy on your son when he's driving, since you mention u drive a taxi. Hehe....remember don't tail gate until he found out, otherwise you are consider a Fail Spy. Hehe
Hydrocarbon praised this

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:52 PM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Same happened with me. We even went out together for parking lessons which are pretty important as real world parking is not the same as driving lesson parking.

Pinobii praised this

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:57 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Same happened with me. We even went out together for parking lessons which are pretty important as real world parking is not the same as driving lesson parking.

If ur child is a son, u don't need to worry much about his parking skill

But if daughter, ahem...

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:01 AM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

If ur child is a son, u don't need to worry much about his parking skill

But if daughter, ahem...

Cannot assume la. Some guys parking skill also quite cuckoo one.  [drivingcar]  [lipsrsealed]

Pinobii praised this

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:42 AM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Cannot assume la. Some guys parking skill also quite cuckoo one. [drivingcar] [lipsrsealed]

Ya some guys anyhow park, very selfish and park too far on the left. Give themselves space to go out but end up my driver door is blocked. For these inconsiderate people I well still try my best to squeeze into my car, but sometimes oops accidentally knock into their car haha......

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cannot assume la. Some guys parking skill also quite cuckoo one. [drivingcar] [lipsrsealed]

True haha

Just that i got few ladies who just got their licenses. It took them 1-2 minute to park a car.

but guys tend to be more reckless haha

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users