Do you switch off you PC mains ?

Ysc3

Twincharged

when you turn off your computer, do you switch off the mains as well ?

mains being the main switch at the wall power point.

I have been doing this after my pc shuts down and light-out but it seems to be causing problems to my pc. sometimes my pc will boot up and then report that something is wrong .... like cannot login in, or some memory related issues.

any else ?

hoping to save some elect ...

↡ Advertisement

when you turn off your computer, do you switch off the mains as well ?

mains being the main switch at the wall power point.

I have been doing this after my pc shuts down and light-out but it seems to be causing problems to my pc. sometimes my pc will boot up and then report that something is wrong .... like cannot login in, or some memory related issues.

any else ?

hoping to save some elect ...

unrelated.

There's something wrong with your PC. Nothing to do with switching off the mains.

• Praise 1

normally no need to replace one even for my laptop of 7 years. [laugh] But sometimes you get a faulty button cell. Once the clock is haywired, many things will go haywire.

actually in all my years of owning a pc, i've never required to replace one lol.

Edited by Kangadrool

normally no need to replace one even for my laptop of 7 years. [laugh] But sometimes you get a faulty button cell. Once the clock is haywired, many things will go haywire.

yeah. my laptop is going on for 6 years and my dad's PC also, also bo taichi.

Unrelated. However, off/on got its side effects, keeping it always on also got side effect. Both usually do not cause any damage to the internals tho.

If it's a Mac, just put it in sleep mode. Needs restart only a few months apart. But, for Windows, probably you need to shut down daily in order for the machine to work properly the next day.

Twincharged

My PC stays on 24/7. When not in use it goes into sleep mode. Bo taiji.

keeping it on 24/7 no problem .... just like my office pc ... some never off even after the staff go back !!

but the thing with mc pc is every time I will switch off the mains at the wall after powering down. Then when I switch on the mains again later, the pc will light up like doing a warm up then shut down. After that then I will push the on button on the pc to boot up.

This morning, the pc displayed an error message saying it cannot log-in !!??

I have just change the psu after the constant inconsistencies of booting up caused the MBR of a few of my hard disks to kaput ... lucky I managed to clone my HDD ... else really dunno how to startup liow

so I was wondering if switching off at the wall mains will cause the psu to go crazy and then in return cause my HDD to kaput.

keeping it on 24/7 no problem .... just like my office pc ... some never off even after the staff go back !!

but the thing with mc pc is every time I will switch off the mains at the wall after powering down. Then when I switch on the mains again later, the pc will light up like doing a warm up then shut down. After that then I will push the on button on the pc to boot up.

I have just change the psu after the constant inconsistencies of booting up caused the MBR of a few of my hard disks to kaput ... lucky I managed to clone my HDD ... else really dunno how to startup liow

so I was wondering if switching off at the wall mains will cause the psu to go crazy and then in return cause my HDD to kaput.

Like what Bro Radx said, it could be the button battery. Another possible source of error is the power and reset button on the PC casing. It is due to the degradation of the push button. It happen to me before. The high frequency of rebooting and shutting down has caused my HD to fail. After changing the casing, everything is back to normal. 

Edited by Rayleigh

Every time you switch on and off, transient or high voltage spikes are created.

Normally, the spikes are clamped down inside the PSU.

If your PSU was the autoranging type 115~240Vac, you'd probably not see much problem.

However, if your PSU has the switch 115/240Vac, the design of the PSU is vulnerable to the spikes.

If the surge suppressant circuit inside the PSU was damaged, the spikes will pass through and change the output voltages/current.

It's possible the mb, hardisk, etc..doesn't like these surges and don't function well, causing funny "software" problem.

I'd suggest you get a new AC power supply strip with working surge suppressant and hooked your PSU to it and see if the problem comes back.

• Praise 2

​I think like a few said could be the cmos battery up lorry. Change that one, it only cost a few bucks and you are good to go.

​When a PC is shut down but the main plug is not off, there is still power going into the PC. So all the settings in the bios will not be lost.

​However, if the main plug is off, there is zero power going into the PC, usually there is this cmos battery that provide the little power that will help maintain the bios information. Once there is no battery power in cmos battery or faulty cmos battery, everytime you off the PC and also off the main plug, the bios will not be able to maintain the stored information, and everytime you on it, the bios will always go back to default setting, the date and time also reset. Sometimes it may need abit of time to load, or even need restart a few times to detect all drivers working properly. So that's what you are facing right now right?

​You could do something to determine whether is it cmos battery is faulty or no power. Shut down PC and off the main switch as per normal, let the computer sit with zero power for a few minutes, on the computer back and then go to bios setting, see whether the bios setting still show the current date and time or it shows the reset date and time? If it shows the reset date and time, it means time to change the cmos battery.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1