Singapore Reckless Drivers Thread part III

Sofarsogood

Hypersonic

I'm not sure where you live in, where having a bicycle dash out in front of you from the middle of the road across a signalized pedestrian crossing, when the light is in your favour and the road is clear, is a common occurrence to be anticipated.

At every passing moment in time, there are multiple sensory inputs and changes in our environment going on that it is virtually impossible (not to mention inefficient) to be anticipating and preparing for every possible (and not probable) scenario ever.

So unless you regularly slow down while approaching a signalised junction of any sort AT ALL TIMES regardless of the traffic or road conditions (which I am pretty sure you don't, because such drivers would be regularly featured in the various social media channels out there), you are simply engaging in a meaningless, theoretical and superfluous exercise of mental masturbation where the human brain is a supercomputer capable of processing all possible sensory inputs and computing all possible outcomes and then react in anticipation of all these possible outcomes.

Wait, that's actually possible. It's called being GOD.

Bro, you are right, I don't stay in Singapore now. I stay in HK where it is common for people to jaywalk on the street (signalize or not) because there are so many people. On many occasions, I have pedestrians dashing across the road just when the lights turned green in my favour, so yes I know what near misses feel like on a regular basis. Which is why I have to constantly remind myself to be wary of anything that moves. Not saying I am a perfect driver but I try to be vigilant.

It is also because of these regular occurrences that drivers in HK are generally more patient that those in SG.

Having said all that, I am in no way suggesting that the cam car driver is wrong. I was merely saying that the awareness could be better. There is no doubt the cyclist is a jerk but drivers must learn to protect themselves to avoid such a situation. Anticipation and Awareness are the only things I am trying to put across, i.e. defensive driving.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

KNN, "rushing, no valid licence, accident" , and yet is awarded $690K in damage.

It is either our legal system has f**k up or the judge screw up, mayb it is order by so and so to keep it that way.

So if you drive legally you are screwed all directions.

Car-lite you know, car-lite!!! -_-<_<

This case is simply encouraging more prc cyclist to try their luck more often and hope they get heavily compensated... My company's machinist were discussing this case and yup, they envy this chap and hope they have such "good luck"... Scary....

• Praise 4

I'd enjoyed so much in scully movie, the jet plane captain had remarkable experience and good pilot ethics, calm in situational analysis to decided belly landing onto Hudson river saving all members onboard. Investigative work are all in theory's but the real emergency situation is not going to be same as others expects, he overcome the crashing with cool and smooth control until he's the last person to leave the crippled and sinking air plane.

I believe the landing of the plane with both engines KO on Hudson River was the easy part for the experienced pilot. The difficult part was making the decision to land there. He could have followed the SOP to land at the nearest airport, and still be a hero regardless of the outcome.

During driving, we sometimes face similar situation. Do I brake hard? If I brake hard, how hard is considered hard? Will the car behind me crash into me? Do I swerve? Do I swerve and at the same time slam the brakes? If I swerve, do I swerve to the left or right? If left, how much to swerve?...

For goodness sake, check with the injured person first before finding out why the blue lorry crashed, these group of peoples must be mad !

Can't blame them. When disaster strikes, self-preservation mode kicks in. Don't believe me? Just watch videos of accidents where drivers instinctively checked their own cars before looking at the victims.

In this case, they were probably wondering how to explain to their bosses, insurance company, etc. Maybe the fact that the victim "appeared not too severely injured" contributed.

Bro, you are right, I don't stay in Singapore now. I stay in HK where it is common for people to jaywalk on the street (signalize or not) because there are so many people. On many occasions, I have pedestrians dashing across the road just when the lights turned green in my favour, so yes I know what near misses feel like on a regular basis. Which is why I have to constantly remind myself to be wary of anything that moves. Not saying I am a perfect driver but I try to be vigilant.

It is also because of these regular occurrences that drivers in HK are generally more patient that those in SG.

Having said all that, I am in no way suggesting that the cam car driver is wrong. I was merely saying that the awareness could be better. There is no doubt the cyclist is a jerk but drivers must learn to protect themselves to avoid such a situation. Anticipation and Awareness are the only things I am trying to put across, i.e. defensive driving.

If his awareness were bad, he/she wouldn't have managed to brake so fast.

Edited by Beng2

Watching all these videos really made me heighten my situational awareness when driving.

It's good education, just that it can be sad that I'm learning from "negative demonstration" instead of positive reinforcement

• Praise 5

Hypersonic

If his awareness were bad, he/she wouldn't have managed to brake so fast.

Alamak bro, quick reflexes do not equate awareness. Do not mix them up lah.

This case is simply encouraging more prc cyclist to try their luck more often and hope they get heavily compensated... My company's machinist were discussing this case and yup, they envy this chap and hope they have such "good luck"... Scary....

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

yah man, dont know what f**k up message they trying to sent out.

Mayb starting tomorrow we see more bikes running ard without licence, all have that come knock me look. 

just the thought of it already feel scary liao. <_<  <_<

It's a case of who was at fault in the accident. The driver accepted 85% of the blame so that took precedence over the man for not having a valid license.

Turbocharged

These are the same lorry drivers speeding on expressway with truck load of goods and workers. You think they care?

I actually doubt many of them realized the guy was stuck between the two vehicles.

Alamak bro, quick reflexes do not equate awareness. Do not mix them up lah.

For the reflex to kick in, surely he needed to be aware of what was happening? 

yah man, dont know what f**k up message they trying to sent out.

Mayb starting tomorrow we see more bikes running ard without licence, all have that come knock me look. 

just the thought of it already feel scary liao. <_<  <_<

I am more afraid of those with licence... must be thinking, "if no licence can get 690k, surely I can ask for more since I have licence?".

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/motorcyclist-dies-in-kranji-expressway-accident

(graphic video)

And the music in the car makes it so surreal..

This is a really freak accident... almost like a scene out of final destination:

Where did the tyre come from?? RIP, really suay.

I hope the police are able to catch the bugger who didn't secure the tyre properly.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1