Anyone remember this?

Little_prince

I used to watch in amazement how they de-feather the chicken. They throw the dead chicken into a "top loading washing machine", let it spin a while and out comes a de-feathered chicken. [angel]   [laugh]

Also the live snakehead fish. They use a wooden club to hammer the fish head. [smash]  [dead]

Then the turtle, wait for it to stretch the head out and one chop.............the head roll on the chopping board. 

When i was in primary school, i used to stand in the Chinatown market downstairs and watch them whack the toman's heads  [laugh]

Is slurpee still a thing now?

We used to have slurpees while in primary school.

↡ Advertisement

We had lots of stores and luggage, but also lots of troops, so had to squeeze shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee in compact rows. We were on course then, so all very guai guai seat belt on at all times, dun dare move about.

All of us had our personal earplugs (we were in SCE and it was personal SOP item) so instructors told all to put on lor. Already the demolition exercises made us half deaf, so better dun make it any worse...

Got used the toilets on the charlie or not?

I think ear plugs is a must when taking c130 but they dont check whether we wear them anot....

I took a C-130 from PLA when going for Ex Crescendo too. But never a commercial flight........peasants...

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 5

OMG... going thru this thread, i suspect some of you actually recognize this.

220px-Armstrong_Siddeley_Sapphire_Winker

this was on taxis  ? Morris or Vauxhall or something, Brit brand. 

Talking about paya lebar airport, how many had been there and boarded a plane from there before?

i did, twice.

Once, in pri sch, flew to KL to go genting. Remained the only paid flight i took until i started working.

Second time, 10+ yr later, was incidentally also from Paya Lebar - by which time changi was long in operation. Had taken a C-130 from Paya Lebar to Thailand...

Still remembered the wall made of mosaic tiles. Very distinct.

Paya Lebar got the big old fashion weighing scale at one corner.

My Dad used to put me up there to check my weight for fun. 

sounds damn nice. seems so much better than 2016 though most of us have more material possessions than in the late 60s/early 70s.

i wouldn't mind going back to that era to experience it. never had a chance to stay in kampong though some classmates/friends from the same era did.

yeah, life was simpler back then.

yes, we had less material possessions but we were happier.

• Praise 5

reading up abt it ... now i know why its called old airport road hawker centre... hahahaha dumb me hor?

hahaha...not dumb lar.....just not informed nia! Most of the road there are named after aircraft...Dakota and the likes! Used to walk from the entrance of the airport at Boon keng when there is a football match at the old national stadium.
  • Praise 1

In 1980, I went to exercise Starlight in Taiwan on a chartered SQ flight from PLA which I was pleasantly surprised cos I expected to go in a C130 as well. It was my first time ever on an airplane as in those days, taking a flight is costly!

wah...1980....i still a wet behind the ears small boy...

I took my first commercial flight out of Paya Lebar Airport. [laugh] You should ask anyone flew out of Kallang Airport ? [laugh]

I still remember PL airport when I took my first flight when I was 14, the main attraction back then was the international time clocks on display there or was it a digital clock with local time; it was just a 1 storey building back then and walking to the aircraft and going up the staircase or ladder was so great a feeling; I still remember it was like a round about kind of road there.      

Many of @Radx friends went by Kallang Airport [laugh]

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 3

this was on taxis  ? Morris or Vauxhall or something, Brit brand. 

Paya Lebar got the big old fashion weighing scale at one corner.

My Dad used to put me up there to check my weight for fun. 

yeah, life was simpler back then.

yes, we had less material possessions but we were happier.

that's so subjective. That's cos we were kids.

I'm sure your kids are darn happy too  [laugh]

Eh i thought that scale need to pay money or else wont register the weight?

The chinese one balance type or that yellow one with a big central dial. A lot of town centres had them

In 1980, I went to exercise Starlight in Taiwan on a chartered SQ flight from PLA which I was pleasantly surprised cos I expected to go in a C130 as well. It was my first time ever on an airplane as in those days, taking a flight is costly!

wah, 19-20 years my senior  [smash]

Eh i thought that scale need to pay money or else wont register the weight?

The chinese one balance type or that yellow one with a big central dial. A lot of town centres had them

I think that scale was calibrated to handle parcels or luggage, not human being.

So when I stand on top sometimes the scale not accurate. I was a bit lighter then. 

Definitely remember these.

I used to stand up and down the scale last time when bored and waiting.

Last time got these weighing machines at shopping centres and cinema where you insert a coin, and it gives you your weight reading punched onto a tiny ticket (no LCD or whatsoever screen one).

Nowadays, would any one pay for your weight to be taken ?

9023090753_f0d7a718bb_z.jpg

weighing+ticket.JPG

I still remember PL airport when I took my first flight when I was 14, the main attraction back then was the international time clocks on display there or was it a digital clock with local time; it was just a 1 storey building back then and walking to the aircraft and going up the staircase or ladder was so great a feeling; I still remember it was like a round about kind of road there.

Many of @Radx friends went by Kallang Airport [laugh]

One big difference between PLA n Changi is the former when boarding got bus to bring passengers from the building to the plane, then climb the staircase up to board. Changi got aerobridge walk straight in... Edited by Atrecord

Last time got these weighing machines at shopping centres and cinema where you insert a coin, and it gives you your weight reading punched onto a tiny ticket (no LCD or whatsoever screen one).

Nowadays, would any one pay for your weight to be taken ?

weighing+ticket.JPG

eh you photoshopped away your weight ah??  :ninja:

Definitely remember these.

I used to stand up and down the scale last time when bored and waiting.

the red and white spiral wheel will still spin even never insert coin... very interesting for kids to see it spin

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1