Dangers of EMF from Hybrid battery?

Donut

Supercharged

For some time, i'm been wondering about potential dangers of EMF from hybrid batteries. These batteries are in big capacity and usually placed in close proximity to drivers and passengers.  The car cabin space is very small.

So google is my best friend. For those thinking of getting hybrid cars or already driving one, think about EMF dangers.  

POV, i don't trust the claims from car makers. There are already lots of cheating done on fuel consumption.  I'm not surprised if they cheat on the EMF test results.  Fuel cheating doesn't damage your health, but EMF will. 

At this moment, there are some contradicting articles about EMF dangers.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/automobiles/27EMF.html

http://witscience.org/hybrid-cars-pose-moderate-cancer-risk-new-study-confirms/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/08/mythbuster-emf-levels-in-hybrids/index.htm

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Unless one lives in a cave, we r all surrounded by EMF w all the electronic devices, wireless, etc. Heck, even surfing MCF on ur pc or hp oso got risk. Liddat how?

Yes and no.

Yes, many things got EMF and radiations....

But, a concentrated "dose" is not something to be brushed off with.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

For some time, i'm been wondering about potential dangers of EMF from hybrid batteries. These batteries are in big capacity and usually placed in close proximity to drivers and passengers.  The car cabin space is very small.

So google is my best friend. For those thinking of getting hybrid cars or already driving one, think about EMF dangers.  

POV, i don't trust the claims from car makers. There are already lots of cheating done on fuel consumption.  I'm not surprised if they cheat on the EMF test results.  Fuel cheating doesn't damage your health, but EMF will. 

At this moment, there are some contradicting articles about EMF dangers.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/automobiles/27EMF.html

http://witscience.org/hybrid-cars-pose-moderate-cancer-risk-new-study-confirms/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/08/mythbuster-emf-levels-in-hybrids/index.htm

Generally, yes, potentially can cause cancer these electromagnetic radiation.

Thanks, good to bring up this thread, will definitely increase awareness to the public and hopefully more responsibility from car manufacturer.

Some specific updates: Regarding patients with pacemaker or AICD (Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defebrillator).

In some cases, implanted devices may sense signals from electrical or magnetic objects and misinterpreted them as potential distress coming from the patient's heart.

Luis R. Scott, M.D., Cardiologist, and Fernando Tondato, M.D., Cardiology Fellow, both of Mayo Clinic in Arizona and the study's lead investigators, called for additional study. They said that although the study results revealed that the car tested did not generate clinically relevant amounts of EMI and that the car is safe for patients with implanted devices,

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130310163805.htm

http://weeksmd.com/2014/12/hybrid-electric-cars-cancer/

Design guidelines to reduce the magnetic field in electric vehicles

SINTEF, Jan 6, 2014

Based on the measurements and on extensive simulation work the project arrived on the following design guidelines to, if necessary, minimize the magnetic field in electric vehicles.

Cables

• For any DC cable carrying significant amount of current, it should be made in the form of a twisted pair so that the currents in the pair always flow in the opposite directions. This will minimise its EMF emission.
  • For three-phase AC cables, three wires should be twisted and made as close as possible so as to minimise its EMF emission.
  • All power cables should be positioned as far away as possible from the passenger seat area, and their layout should not form a loop. If cable distance is less than 200mm away from the passenger seats, some forms of shielding should be adopted.
  • A thin layer of ferromagnetic shield is recommended as this is cost-effective solution for the reduction of EMF emission as well EMI emission.
  • Where possible, power cables should be laid such a way that they are separated from the passenger seat area by a steel sheet, e.g., under a steel metallic chassis, or inside a steel trunk.

Motors

• Where possible, the motor should be installed farther away from the passenger seat area, and its rotation axis should not point to the seat region.
  • If weight permits, the motor housing should be made of steel, rather than aluminium, as the former has a much better shielding effect.
  • If the distance of the motor and passenger seat area is less than 500mm, some forms of shielding should be employed. For example, a steel plate could be placed between the motor and the passenger seat region
  • Motor housing should be electrically well connected to the vehicle metallic chassis to minimise any electrical potential.
  • Inverter and motor should be mounted as close as possible to each other to minimise the cable length between the two.

Batteries

• Since batteries are distributed, the currents in the batteries and in the interconnectors may become a significant source for EMF emission, they should be place as far away as possible from the passenger seat areas. If the distance between the battery and passenger seat area is less than 200mm, steel shields should be used to separate the batteries and the seating area.
  • The cables connecting battery cells should not form a loop, and where possible, the interconnectors for the positive polarity should be as close as possible to those of the negative polarity.
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Unless one lives in a cave, we r all surrounded by EMF w all the electronic devices, wireless, etc. Heck, even surfing MCF on ur pc or hp oso got risk. Liddat how?

concentrated in a small confined space can be serious, if u think about it.  Everyday, u drive in a hybrid, from home to work, and back home. in SG context, it will be 2 hours on average. 

Then yr family members sit in, will be exposed for 2-6 hours in a week.  

For some, they go to KL. Each way is 5-6 hour (with custom jam) in a small confined space.  Using some common sense, the exposure can be damaging, 

Generally, yes, potentially can cause cancer these electromagnetic radiation.

Thanks, good to bring up this thread, will definitely increase awareness to the public and hopefully more responsibility from car manufacturer.

Some specific updates: Regarding patients with pacemaker or AICD (Automatic Implantable Cardioverter-Defebrillator).

In some cases, implanted devices may sense signals from electrical or magnetic objects and misinterpreted them as potential distress coming from the patient's heart.

Luis R. Scott, M.D., Cardiologist, and Fernando Tondato, M.D., Cardiology Fellow, both of Mayo Clinic in Arizona and the study's lead investigators, called for additional study. They said that although the study results revealed that the car tested did not generate clinically relevant amounts of EMI and that the car is safe for patients with implanted devices,

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130310163805.htm

http://weeksmd.com/2014/12/hybrid-electric-cars-cancer/

Design guidelines to reduce the magnetic field in electric vehicles

SINTEF, Jan 6, 2014

Based on the measurements and on extensive simulation work the project arrived on the following design guidelines to, if necessary, minimize the magnetic field in electric vehicles.

Cables

• For any DC cable carrying significant amount of current, it should be made in the form of a twisted pair so that the currents in the pair always flow in the opposite directions. This will minimise its EMF emission.
  • For three-phase AC cables, three wires should be twisted and made as close as possible so as to minimise its EMF emission.
  • All power cables should be positioned as far away as possible from the passenger seat area, and their layout should not form a loop. If cable distance is less than 200mm away from the passenger seats, some forms of shielding should be adopted.
  • A thin layer of ferromagnetic shield is recommended as this is cost-effective solution for the reduction of EMF emission as well EMI emission.
  • Where possible, power cables should be laid such a way that they are separated from the passenger seat area by a steel sheet, e.g., under a steel metallic chassis, or inside a steel trunk.

Motors

• Where possible, the motor should be installed farther away from the passenger seat area, and its rotation axis should not point to the seat region.
  • If weight permits, the motor housing should be made of steel, rather than aluminium, as the former has a much better shielding effect.
  • If the distance of the motor and passenger seat area is less than 500mm, some forms of shielding should be employed. For example, a steel plate could be placed between the motor and the passenger seat region
  • Motor housing should be electrically well connected to the vehicle metallic chassis to minimise any electrical potential.
  • Inverter and motor should be mounted as close as possible to each other to minimise the cable length between the two.

Batteries

• Since batteries are distributed, the currents in the batteries and in the interconnectors may become a significant source for EMF emission, they should be place as far away as possible from the passenger seat areas. If the distance between the battery and passenger seat area is less than 200mm, steel shields should be used to separate the batteries and the seating area.
  • The cables connecting battery cells should not form a loop, and where possible, the interconnectors for the positive polarity should be as close as possible to those of the negative polarity.

Thanks for the article. 

The problem is we as consumers, will never know how the car makers lay the cables and position the motor and battery. and whether they are using the shield materials and steel.  

Now, no one talks about the dangers.  But in the future, i'm very sure, some whistle blower will bring this matter up, when someone starts to have nasty medical problem, and Hell will break loose for these car makers.  All the cheating, and "short cut" methods will be exposed. 

When I was working with a 500W VHF transmitter, attached to a dummy load.

I get a headache sitting about 5 ft away from the load.

The load is used to sink the RF energy and protect the transmitter, but of cuz it also emits a little RF or EMF wave.

The higher the RF frequency the more ionizing and damaging it is to humans.

Cellular operates in the GHz band, much higher than VHF frequencies.

And theoretically, it is more damaging when the power is higher.

So, I only get a dosage of low VHF wave, I get a headache.

Who knows what cellular or hybrid EMF can damage in the long term ?

If you really want to measure RF energy, you'd need about $30k worth of test equipment, aka the spectrum analyser.

If you worry about battery EMF emission, get a lead sheet and throw over it.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

so double whammy if using a smart phone while inside a Comfort Prius ?  [:p]

Multiply that when the cab driver is using the phone plus charging other phones that he has. If you have additional passengers with you who are also using the phone and at the same time you are using a laptop over your balls....

"Taxi unker, go straight to sgh. We all kenna emf radiation poisoning".

Edited by Watwheels

reminds me of the time when I was shopping for a hdb resale unit.. was viewing a low floor unit which was located beside a power substation.. after noticing that the owner's eyes were blood shot.. end up we kiasi didn't dare to consider this unit.. :yeah-im-not-drunk:

reminds me of the time when I was shopping for a hdb resale unit.. was viewing a low floor unit which was located beside a power substation.. after noticing that the owner's eyes were blood shot.. end up we kiasi didn't dare to consider this unit.. :yeah-im-not-drunk:

you misinterpret.

the emf gave him extra strength to have all night orgies.

you misinterpret.

the emf gave him extra strength to have all night orgies.

perhaps.. or staying there may increase my chance of becoming a x-men..

↡ Advertisement