Vietnam Airlines to Hanoi Chilling out at JW Marriott Hanoi

Boringchap

I was about to book for hk trip but hanois seems good will check it out

Please go. 

I went Hanoi free and easy with my 2 young kids in December 2014.  My kids were so happy to see "smoke" from their mouth they talked. 

We also went Sapa (if you are lucky you will see snow) and Halong Bay.  I book the 2D1N Halong Bay with my hostel quite cheap USD85 per pax.  Food quite cheap in Hanoi if you stay at old quarters.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Please go.

I went Hanoi free and easy with my 2 young kids in December 2014. My kids were so happy to see "smoke" from their mouth they talked.

We also went Sapa (if you are lucky you will see snow) and Halong Bay. I book the 2D1N Halong Bay with my hostel quite cheap USD85 per pax. Food quite cheap in Hanoi if you stay at old quarters.

Wow most probably go hanoi end of year

I also got one friend there, hopefully he still remember me haha

• Praise 1

Wow most probably go hanoi end of year

I also got one friend there, hopefully he still remember me haha

hanoi itself is run down other than HCM's memorial and the few modern hotels.

Just go to sapa/halong bay.

But sapa is a 7-8 hour train ride and another 1hr + van trip into the mountains.

hanoi itself is run down other than HCM's memorial and the few modern hotels.

Just go to sapa/halong bay.

But sapa is a 7-8 hour train ride and another 1hr + van trip into the mountains.

wah sapa so far har? maybe will see how cos bringing up grandma might not be suitable for long journey

Hanoi heard has modernised alot, when u went? i went to Ho Chi Minh on 2009, it was bad not sure bout now

wah sapa so far har? maybe will see how cos bringing up grandma might not be suitable for long journey

Hanoi heard has modernised alot, when u went? i went to Ho Chi Minh on 2009, it was bad not sure bout now

We were in HCMC in April for 5 days as a recce for a longer visit to a few places in Vietnam.

Hotel ok but overall very disappointed and now won't bother with a Vietnam holiday.

But while there we looked in at the Rex Hotel, where all the journalists stayed during the Vietnam war.

They were doing an offer on the Governor's suite for iirc S$ 80 per night.

Great offer which we wished we had known about.

So always worth checking

• Praise 1

You can bring them go cruise in halong bay, overnight also can. But bit cold i guess in the winter.

i went in 2008/2009. I doubt it's changed much. 

I definitely won't bring old folks or young children there. Staying in nice hotel sure ok. But really not much to see except HCM memorial which is not bad.

I'm sure there's some nice shopping center or what. But that's not really vietnam.

Well i went on a halong bay cruise with an indonesian couple back then, they say hanoi is just like jakarta slums LOL.

We both had a good laugh when we say we don't understand why angmoh find it exotic or interesting LOL

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

The journey should be fine for your grandma cos you can choose the overnite train.  Departing at 9pm and reach there 6am. 

The only thing that is unsuitable for your grandma is the trekking in Sapa.  Sapa has alot of walking and climbing the hill.  May need to walk half an hour to 1 hour or even more for sightseeing.

I think better go Hanoi Bay and old quarters will do.  Bring thicker clothes or even a winter jacket if you are going during the winter cos Halong bay is quite cold.

You can bring them go cruise in halong bay, overnight also can. But bit cold i guess in the winter.

i went in 2008/2009. I doubt it's changed much.

I definitely won't bring old folks or young children there. Staying in nice hotel sure ok. But really not much to see except HCM memorial which is not bad.

I'm sure there's some nice shopping center or what. But that's not really vietnam.

Well i went on a halong bay cruise with an indonesian couple back then, they say hanoi is just like jakarta slums LOL.

We both had a good laugh when we say we don't understand why angmoh find it exotic or interesting LOL

Haha i see. Nvr mind still go since i nvr go before.

Actually vietnam got one nice mountain my friend told me, 1 hr drive from Da Nang forget the name but it looks like genting highland and colmare tropical.

Ang moh finds it nice becos their country is totally different from vietnam, new exp. for us, for indonesian see that kind of scenery sian ald haha

The journey should be fine for your grandma cos you can choose the overnite train. Departing at 9pm and reach there 6am.

The only thing that is unsuitable for your grandma is the trekking in Sapa. Sapa has alot of walking and climbing the hill. May need to walk half an hour to 1 hour or even more for sightseeing.

I think better go Hanoi Bay and old quarters will do. Bring thicker clothes or even a winter jacket if you are going during the winter cos Halong bay is quite cold.

She's on wheelchair. Worry hanoi is not wheelchair friendly. Maybe just bring her to mall. For halong bay i ownself book tour then she just stay hotel with other family member.

Thanks for the suggestion bro :)

• Praise 1

Actually vietnam got one nice mountain my friend told me, 1 hr drive from Da Nang forget the name but it looks like genting highland and colmare tropical.

Ang moh finds it nice becos their country is totally different from vietnam, new exp. for us, for indonesian see that kind of scenery sian ald haha

She's on wheelchair. Worry hanoi is not wheelchair friendly. Maybe just bring her to mall. For halong bay i ownself book tour then she just stay hotel with other family member.

Ha long bay is nice but definitely chilly in december. Do bring a jacket. Esp if overnight cruise. Early morning is cold ...

in Hanoi itself, only nighttime need jacket. Or maybe around the lake area more chilly cos of wind. 

• Praise 1

Ha long bay is nice but definitely chilly in december. Do bring a jacket. Esp if overnight cruise. Early morning is cold ...

in Hanoi itself, only nighttime need jacket. Or maybe around the lake area more chilly cos of wind.

Ok noted

:D

Some more videos from the JW Marriott Hanoi experience.  They served breakfast at the Executive Lounge which my kids thoroughly enjoyed.  The fuller breakfast spread was in the main JW Cafe downstairs, however, because we only paid for 2 adults for our room, our kids would have to pay if we ate downstairs.  The price was 300,000VND for breakfast per kid.  Ended up that we just ate in the Executive lunch for breakfast, since they had all that we needed and the service was much better.  It was actually quite crowded downstairs for breakfast (i went to take a look). 

What about in the evening?  Turned out that we spent so much time in the hotel that we ended up eating our dinners here too.  Yes, we weren't very adventurous.  The food and drink spread during evening hours (6pm to 8pm) was good enough for us and since it was all included in the room price, we enjoyed ourselves tremendously.  Here is a video. 

They usually had Vietnamese ladies playing on the Vietnamese zither at the main lobby.  Worth listening to. 

• Praise 1

Nice mountain is Dalat?

Oh, like that Hanoi may not be suitable for her liao.  Hanoi doesn't have much shopping malls I think.  May be boring for her. 

But good for her to enjoy the cool weather and vietnamese food and culture. 

There's weekend nite market, shopping and some attractions at the old quarters.  I stayed at old quarters area around USD35 per nite and my Halong Bay 2D1N tour is only USD85 per pax (everything inclusive), I booked from B&B Hostel.

Enjoy your trip.   She is so blessed to have such a good grandson.

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 1

Sorry, just to add that Halong Bay is a must to go if you go Hanoi.  It will be a waste if your family members don't go.

It has been awarded - one of the 7 wonders of nature in the world and also UNESCO's World Heritage.

Royal City is mega huge and Times City is super huge, can shop till u drop, super big, our Vivocity smell smoke compare to them.

However, i wonder how long these megamall will last, items there cost a bomb, really cater for the vietnamese elites nia.

There is a huge aquarium at Times City, clean n modern, i like it alike, can visit while u r there.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2