Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic | 45 praises

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Nuahster1
  • Nuahster1
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Helping my father make a decision on his next car.

He’s currently driving a Fortuner in its last yr of COE, and would like a 7 seater SUV as replacement. Visited the show rooms last wkend to look see, so considering between these two models:

Outlander $129k

Sorento SX Diesel ~ $155k (SE quote)

He’s the type to use the car up to the 9-10yr mark before changing. Sorento OMV is 33k, PARF is about 4.7k more than outlander. Travels >30k km a yr, so calculated the savings of diesel over the petrol over 10yrs, together with the PARF difference, it will eventually add up to balance the car price as well as road tax difference. So kinda leaning towards the Sorento.

Hence would need some input regarding both models and which would you pick over. Are they any hidden cost or details that may help tip the outlander to be of better value or the deciding factor?

maintenance, would turbo diesel engine require more maintenance in the long run vs 2.4 NA Engine?

Servicing cost wise, are they about the same? What about parts replacement, Kor vs jap parts cheaper?

Reliability? Would assume both are equally as good?

Is it easy to find Diesel Euro V in Malaysia? (He travels to JB quite frequently, Penang Ipoh maybe once or twice a yr)

Many thanks for any input or views.

Edited by Ragingbull, 16 November 2016 - 05:39 PM.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

Spurman
  • Spurman
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Sorrento for
1. Size
2. Looks
3. Fc
4. Kia is good at these cars

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

Yeshe
  • Premium member
    Yeshe
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Helping my father make a decision on his next car.

He’s currently driving a Fortuner in its last yr of COE, and would like a 7 seater SUV as replacement. Visited the show rooms last wkend to look see, so considering between these two models:

Outlander $129k

Sorento SX Diesel ~ $155k (SE quote)

He’s the type to use the car up to the 9-10yr mark before changing. Sorento OMV is 33k, PARF is about 4.7k more than outlander. Travels >30k km a yr, so calculated the savings of diesel over the petrol over 10yrs, together with the PARF difference, it will eventually add up to balance the car price as well as road tax difference. So kinda leaning towards the Sorento.

Hence would need some input regarding both models and which would you pick over. Are they any hidden cost or details that may help tip the outlander to be of better value or the deciding factor?

maintenance, would turbo diesel engine require more maintenance in the long run vs 2.4 NA Engine?

Servicing cost wise, are they about the same? What about parts replacement, Kor vs jap parts cheaper?

Reliability? Would assume both are equally as good?

Is it easy to find Diesel Euro V in Malaysia? (He travels to JB quite frequently, Penang Ipoh maybe once or twice a yr)

Many thanks for any input or views.

not that i m against sorento but an SUV without 4wd is a big sorethumb that i cannot accept.

outlander on the other hand doesnt look as sart.

I would recommend santa fe diesel as an alternative consideration.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Holdenutessv
  • Premium member
    Holdenutessv
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

+1 for Sorento.

Error 404: Signature Not Found

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:20 PM

Cznoob
  • Premium member
    Cznoob
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Coming from a fortuner, outlander is going to feel small. Besides the bigger sorento is more of a 7 seater then outlander. No contest.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I feel indignant if I am a sorento owner.
dsman, Carbon82 and Mercs praised this
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

Jay1980
  • Jay1980
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Nissan x-trail

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Fungyee77
  • Fungyee77
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

At Outlander's price point, I'd prefer the Nissan X-trail. Its a bit smaller in the 3rd row, but just feels more premium overall.  

If you can wait a bit, intriguing and all-new 7-seater SUV options like the Renault Koleos, Peugeot 5008 and the Skoda Kodiaq are likely coming to Singapore in 2H17. 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

Friendstar
  • Friendstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Sorento diesel.

Drive it and u will understand.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

CX9

Otherwise sorento is good too
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Aukang
  • Premium member
    Aukang
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If not in a hurry wait for the Kodiaq :)

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

dsman
  • Premium member
    dsman
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

hi

i own a kia sorento 2016 awd model. came from volvo xc90

my uncle also owns the same model, albeit a fwd. he is driving in excess of 100k mileage per year as he travels to malaysia almost daily for work. even goes as far as penang. he came from the old 2010 model.

we both love the car. we both considered the outlander and striked it off. main turn off is outlander doesnt even have the second row aircon. 

talking about reliability...my uncle drove the old 2010 sorento model beyond 400k mileage. normal wear and tear. he influenced me to get the new model. in the end he got one too because there's no other suv that could give him peace of mind with the crazy mileage he's doing.

Edited by dsman, 15 November 2016 - 09:49 PM.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:19 PM

Nuahster1
  • Nuahster1
    1st Gear
    Author Image

thanks all for the input, did consider the x-trail, but read that its rather under powered esp w full load, and third row is smaller than outlander.

w.r.t 4WD, thought that Kia Sorento is AWD. but if its not, mostly driving in city urban areas, AWD or 4WD wont really be necessary for us.

Googled Skoda Kodiaq, seem pretty good looking and promising, got another 8 mths of COE to wait, but i kinda doubt it will be in the <150-160k range, plus is there a skoda AD in SG still? 

Was leaning towards Outlander at first because of Sorento's higher price tag, but after doing the sums, it can be offset with diesel savings base on our mileage over 10yrs and higher parf rebate. 

I think both outlander and sorento would be just as reliable, but being new to turbo vehicle, we're concern about maintenance / wear and tear in the long run. Also first time into diesel car, wondering how much more troublesome it would be to move around in Malaysia.

Plus was reading another thread http://www.mycarforu...s-in-sg/page-20 about there going to be potential changes to the diesel tax structure in SG. not sure how that wld affect current or future diesel car owners.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:33 PM

Lycanthrope
  • Lycanthrope
    5th Gear
    Author Image

you may want to put it on hold on diesels ..seems the government is up to their sleeves again on the diesel matters 

http://www.mycarforu...rol-cars-in-sg/

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:43 PM

Nuahster1
  • Nuahster1
    1st Gear
    Author Image

hi

my uncle also owns the same model, albeit a fwd. he is driving in excess of 100k mileage per year as he travels to malaysia almost daily for work. even goes as far as penang. he came from the old 2010 model.

we both love the car. we both considered the outlander and striked it off. main turn off is outlander doesnt even have the second row aircon. 

talking about reliability...my uncle drove the old 2010 sorento model beyond 400k mileage. normal wear and tear. he influenced me to get the new model. in the end he got one too because there's no other suv that could give him peace of mind with the crazy mileage he's doing.

care to share your exp or your uncle's exp driving the Sorento in M'sia, like is Euro V easy to come across?

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:35 AM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

hi

so good?  looks like korean gearbox also very enduring co i wasn't expecting gearboxes to last beyond 300k km. 6AT torque converter gearbox?

FS

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:34 PM

kianewbie
  • Premium member
    kianewbie
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Sorento and Outlander belong to the different category of SUV. 

Hard to compare...

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

dsman
  • Premium member
    dsman
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

care to share your exp or your uncle's exp driving the Sorento in M'sia, like is Euro V easy to come across?

hi

u can refer to the malaysian petrol companies websites for more details.

basically, easiest to find euro5 at the kiosks along the nsh

so good?  looks like korean gearbox also very enduring co i wasn't expecting gearboxes to last beyond 300k km. 6AT torque converter gearbox?

6at gearbox. not sure about the torque converter

just to add on...due to the crazy mileage, my uncle could not trade in his old 2010 model without suffering a loss. as such, the car has been handed over to another uncle to continue using. still runs well. no problem

Fuelsaver praised this

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

between the 2, if money not an issue then definitely the sorento.

best car in the class by far.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, itll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

yokechye
  • Premium member
    yokechye
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I only test drive the outlander before. Quite nice drive. But if course interior quality is lower than the sorento by quite a fair bit imo. For me if I look at the car price, type of engine, road tax together, I would go for outlander when compared to sorento's diesel.

Edited by yokechye, 18 November 2016 - 11:10 AM.

Back to Korean Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Kia Sorento Diesel

Kia Sorento Diesel  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Fungyee77  |  3rd Gear

Massively impressive 7-seater SUV offering unmatched value

Frankly, I never thought I'd buy a Kia. Even the test drive was an afterthought - I scheduled it as the first test drive of the day and intended as a staging exercise to make it easier to steer my wife to my preferred option. Then whe... » Read More

Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by mrkkhk  |  Neutral Newbie

Definitely Best Car Under $120k

Just collected new car,it has 165hp giving the car boost and head start when it goes off the line,century sprint in 10.2 sec,great car with good fc.it has better third row space compared to wish, mzd 5,x trail and carens which are all cars i... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Kia Sorento Diesel, Mitsubishi Outlander

Quick Reply

Tags: kia, kiasorento, outlander, suv and 5 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users