Life on a Campervan/Boat in SG

Sturtles

Has anyone considered getting one of these travel homes to run around the region?

There's not much camping culture in Singapore, and even in Malaysia, there are almost no powered camper parks to plug into standard camper vans.

Some interesting campers when I was looking around.

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/range/camper-vans-t6

Given these campers cost upward of 200 to 300k, and with COE limited life expectancy of 10 years, it got me thinking what else can I get for the money.

Of course, trailer homes are cheap, but driving up or camping in Malaysia in one just screams "Rob Me"!!!

The other alternative I can think of is to live off a boat.

http://asiapowerboats.com/buy-a-boat/preowned-yachts-others/

A simple used one costs about the same as a 4 room flat( no COE), with only question being the repair/maintanence cost and docking fees.

I know some docks have power points that can be plugged in to run A/C and the ancillaries, so it makes for a reasonably comfortable living, albeit a small space

Does anyone have an idea what the fees are like?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

i have friends who bought boats before and would join them on weekend fishing trips. I hate fishing though so I don't know why I went :D . A used motorised yacht, 30 footer, costs about 50k so its not that expensive. Wet berthing rates for a boat that size is easily $500/mth at SYC in west coast, does not include power and water.  Not that cheap alternative.

• Praise 1

You have already listed why these are not feasible in S'pore / M'sia... There's no infrastructure to support them.

For Yacht, it's expensive to upkeep. Most people will just rent one for a day out to sea. Unless you have lotsa spare cash.

• Praise 1

Campervan/Motorhome not allowed to be driven on the road in SG. Need to be towed.

Bro, is it due the the license class that limits the driven weight?

The VW california just is a regular van, with the extra features and furnitures

Trailers definitely have to be towed, but have never seen one locally

i have friends who bought boats before and would join them on weekend fishing trips. I hate fishing though so I don't know why I went :D . A used motorised yacht, 30 footer, costs about 50k so its not that expensive. Wet berthing rates for a boat that size is easily $500/mth at SYC in west coast, does not include power and water. Not that cheap alternative.

Wow, sounds reasonable, just a little more than condo maintanence fees. Perhaps a larger one would be exponentially costly.

No love for fishing myself, but the travel lusty and experiential side of me is getting irritated at the rate the remaining natural environment is being removed here that SG is feeling too artificial for me.

you dont need a singapore reg car (to pay the hefty COE) if your plan is for travelling around. get a bus, rip off all the passenger seats and start converting it with a washroom, a room with bed like a biz class, a lounge with bar counter and a kitchen. can do all this in malaysia at a lower cost and than move off to thailand with your love one. (its fun to travel with friends too)

• Praise 2

We are too grounded to do that.

Even if the cost was feasible and the regulations in favor

the weather and the scenery sucks no matter where you drive around.

Cannot lah, we are destined to live in our 3rm flats

• Praise 3

It's per LTA regulation, nothing to do with licensing.

WHICH FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLES CAN ENTER SINGAPORE?

• Allowed – passenger vehicles making return trips for private uses.
  • Not Allowed – armoured vehicles, camper vans, caravan trailers and mini buses with cooking and sleeping facilities.

Probably to protect the F&B, hotel industry.  [laugh]

Bro, is it due the the license class that limits the driven weight?

The VW california just is a regular van, with the extra features and furnitures

Trailers definitely have to be towed, but have never seen one locally

Wow, sounds reasonable, just a little more than condo maintanence fees. Perhaps a larger one would be exponentially costly.

No love for fishing myself, but the travel lusty and experiential side of me is getting irritated at the rate the remaining natural environment is being removed here that SG is feeling too artificial for me.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Driving along the B roads of Malaysia and up to Genting/ Camerons seem pretty interesting..

Further up can be a trip to Chiang Mai or other high lands..

Just find a rest stop carpark and have a good rest.

Boating is somewhat restrictive, as you can only dock at a proper jetty, and the smaller pleasure crafts can't take rougher seas.

Meanwhile, income from the 3rm flat rental can subsidise a little of this life on the road/seas

The advent of mobile internet made all these possible on a small budget

• Praise 1

It's per LTA regulation, nothing to do with licensing.

WHICH FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLES CAN ENTER SINGAPORE?

• Allowed – passenger vehicles making return trips for private uses.
  • Not Allowed – armoured vehicles, camper vans, caravan trailers and mini buses with cooking and sleeping facilities.

Probably to protect the F&B, hotel industry.  [laugh]

Amazing! Not mentioned is a locally registered camper van, which may not be bounded by this regulation.

You are way ahead of me on this research.

Any progress so far?  [laugh]  :a-m1212:

Used to help some of these AM gaos clear their motorhomes/camper vans when arriving/departing SG. Most are very nice folks but with troublesome cargo to clear. Few heroes will insist to drive on the roads, but not sure if they have been sent to Changrila for free meals and lodging.

Some travel round the world with whole family including kids on self-education. Yes, they sell their house, give up their jobs.... to travel, not for 1 month, but one or few years.

Only the AM gaos do it; never come across Chinese, Indian, Japanese... doing it.

More surprising for uniquely Singapore... you need to declare import/export tradenet permit for bringing in/out (and I mean sailing it in/out, NOT laden on a cargo vessel) a private yacht/sailing boat, but merchant vessels calling SG ports don't need. 

Amazing! Not mentioned is a locally registered camper van, which may not be bounded by this regulation.

You are way ahead of me on this research.

Any progress so far?  [laugh]  :a-m1212:

Edited by Kangadrool

This thread reminds me of this picture posted by @enye on another post.

post-937-0-25196100-1479276334_thumb.jpg

Here the rich are trying to live on a boat, while in hong kong it is the poor who lives on the boat.

• Praise 7

Used to help some of these AM gaos clear their motorhomes/camper vans when arriving/departing SG. Most are very nice folks but with troublesome cargo to clear. Few heroes will insist to drive on the roads, but not sure if they have been sent to Changrila for free meals and lodging.

Some travel round the world with whole family including kids on self-education. Yes, they sell their house, give up their jobs.... to travel, not for 1 month, but one or few years.

Only the AM gaos do it; never come across Chinese, Indian, Japanese... doing it.

More surprising for uniquely Singapore... you need to declare import/export tradenet permit for bringing in/out (and I mean sailing it in/out, NOT laden on a cargo vessel) a private yacht/sailing boat, but merchant vessels calling SG ports don't need.

I like this post

Especially the part on angmo gaos :XD:

We cannot get out of our kampong lah

your gate is too big for 3 rooms flat lar...

We cannot get out of our kampong lah

My ex-neighbour, a single ang mo bought a used cruiser to live on. Berthed it at RSYC. Found it cheaper than renting a condo even after factoring in the berthing fee and maintenance. Marinas have full club facilities, so he bathes at club house. His boat has cooking and toilet facilities so is convenient. Says he likes the peace on boat more than living on mainland. 

you can choose to live on the land, on the move or on the sea. all you need is a passion with the choice you make.

its so fun and meaningful to travel with your love one. live life to your fullest.

↡ Advertisement