How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

however, what irritates me the most are buses, i dunno why the bus drivers need to switch on their right indicator lights when they are moving off from the bus stop and going STRAIGHT down to the bext stop. very difficult for vehicles behind to determine whats their intention. I was taught you only signal left/right when you need to lane change, when moving off in a straight line no need to signal just need to watch out for traffic will do which i believe is logical.

I disagree with you on this point.

On quite a few instances, I'm grateful that the bus drivers do a right signal when moving off from busstops, especially those that are in the lane itself, without a bus bay.

This is especially when there is a left turn soon after the bus stop. Once the bus signal right intending to drive off, one probably will line up behind the bus, instead of overtaking it to make the left turn.

Hazard lights or not...it depends whether the driver behind wants to understand or not. I kana before in a condo visitor lot...wanna park n switch hazard light...the car behind was a z4 and he prevented me from reversing into the visitor lot and horned a few time. Told him to overtake my car from the right and the fella keep horning. I moved forward n he actually wanted to enter the underground carpark n the entrance was right after the visitors lot. My wife told me that the driver gave me the bird after that.....whole family was with me so i remained calm. A few days later the z4 was parked near the visitors lot and the driver was there. I stared at the fella and purposely brushed against his shoulder as i was passing him...the fella dont even dare to look at me siak!

so man..... [pirate]

my usual practice....

go into car park, select an auspicious spot.

shift gear to P, hand brake up, hazard lights on.

naturally people will either queue behind me, or overtake to queue at another spot

then when spotted some vehicles moving off, I will immediately off hazard and flick the left (or right) indicator, depending if the car moving off is relative to my right or left position.

sometime, if got time, I will move ahead of that vehicle, angled with the backside aiming to enter the lot.... while waiting for that take-your-own-sweet-time driver to move off.

I was taught at BBDC to signal left first to signal I am stopping. Then hazard light on while waiting for that lot. Then when the car in that lot leaves signal left/right depending on which side the lot is on before reversing into the lot. If the lot already empty then just signal towards the direction you will be reversing.

I think now adays no body do that...

stop is signalled by BRAKE LIGHTS !!!

taking about confusion, I hate people who signal to "cut" into the right lane, by giving a right signal,

while turning right at a cross junction with the green arrow on.

how more confusing can it be ?

Okay okay. I know how to do this...

When you need to cut to the right while turning right you should wind down your window and 'flap' your hands. When given way to, raise hands to say thank you like taking pledge like that.

Then again, flicking signal stick also so difficult how to get them to wind down window. Seems like flicking the bird uses less energy...

i think sometimes is due to the narrow width which also prevent the behind vehicle to move forward..

then the car behind L L hv to wait lor....

even better....

I disagree with you on this point.

On quite a few instances, I'm grateful that the bus drivers do a right signal when moving off from busstops, especially those that are in the lane itself, without a bus bay.

This is especially when there is a left turn soon after the bus stop. Once the bus signal right intending to drive off, one probably will line up behind the bus, instead of overtaking it to make the left turn.

I dunno, i guess it all boils down to situational circumstances and individual, my stand is that, buses should not be signalling right if it is moving off from a bus stop travelling in a straight line to the next stops because there is no point in doing so UNLESS there is an intention for the driver to move the bus out of its present lane, maybe there is an obstruction ahead or he is changing route etc.

The unnecessary confusion here is, should drivers behind the bus ignore the right signal light the bus driver switch on when he moves off from a bus stop ? firstly it is frustrating if you assume the bus driver intends to moves right to the next lane but instead he just continues to drive straight all the way, wasting everyone time slowing down behind him. The next scenerio is you ignore his right signal as just another blind rule that every bus driver follows and drives up alongside but this time the bus driver actually filter out..... bear in mind that nowadays the size of the bus is abt a lane wide, some have 2 compartments and are abt few cars length long, you will probably get squeezed off the road when the buses hit you from the side....unnecessary accident which is preventable.

It is situational, if there is no need to signal then dont signall unnecessary, commom to see some bus driver forgot to off their signal lights after moving off also.

Just to bring this up again. In school we were taught to signal towards the lot that you are going for.. If the lot is on the left signal your intention to the left.. Simple story tio?

In the real world after passing you will see either hazard lights or signal lights To me doesnt matter lah as long as you got show ur intention good enough lah. For me my habit is to on hazard lights when I'm stopping or parking..

Incident no 1. This morning in my estate's carpark almost vomited blood.. A black Mazda 3 made a right turn from the side road n stopped right infront of me.. Literally stopped there to wait for lots.. No need to show hazard or signal.. One row of cars behind him he thought we all can read his mind like Professor X.. Overtook from his right and driver was a uncle.. pretend to look here n there or just oblivious to his surroundings i dunno lah.. haiya.. Want to wait for lot also need to be considerate to other road users lah alamak..

Incident no 2: Same time, same estate. MPV approached a stop line where he could turn right or go straight.. There were cars infront of him n behind him.. Driver engaged reverse gear without any warning.. OK, I reversed back for him n then he engaged drive, drove forward n slanted his car to park.. And then as sudden as his decision to park he decided to abort parking at that lot n made a right turn all without signaling.. Mind u it was a Sat morning with many drivers trying to find lots to park n lim kopi have bfast..

Same estate n met two of such drivers.. What a morning.. To use the signal or hazard light doesn't matter lah.. Just show some intention lah.. Dun stop in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic n expect others to bypass you ma..

Rant over liaox.. LOLx..

Edited by StreetFight3r
  • Praise 1

Signal hazard will do la u signal left or right also can up to u

I would say if carpark wide then use left or right signal for parking intention

If small carpark, hazard will do as car behind wont be able to overtake u anyway

• Praise 1

Just to bring this up again. In school we were taught to signal towards the lot that you are going for.. If the lot is on the left signal your intention to the left.. Simple story tio?

In the real world after passing you will see either hazard lights or signal lights To me doesnt matter lah as long as you got show ur intention good enough lah. For me my habit is to on hazard lights when I'm stopping or parking..

Incident no 1. This morning in my estate's carpark almost vomited blood.. A black Mazda 3 made a right turn from the side road n stopped right infront of me.. Literally stopped there to wait for lots.. No need to show hazard or signal.. One row of cars behind him he thought we all can read his mind like Professor X.. Overtook from his right and driver was a uncle.. pretend to look here n there or just oblivious to his surroundings i dunno lah.. haiya.. Want to wait for lot also need to be considerate to other road users lah alamak..

Incident no 2: Same time, same estate. MPV approached a stop line where he could turn right or go straight.. There were cars infront of him n behind him.. Driver engaged reverse gear without any warning.. OK, I reversed back for him n then he engaged drive, drove forward n slanted his car to park.. And then as sudden as his decision to park he decided to abort parking at that lot n made a right turn all without signaling.. Mind u it was a Sat morning with many drivers trying to find lots to park n lim kopi have bfast..

Same estate n met two of such drivers.. What a morning.. To use the signal or hazard light doesn't matter lah.. Just show some intention lah.. Dun stop in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic n expect others to bypass you ma..

Rant over liaox.. LOLx..

light bulbs expensive nowadays lah lolllll

Signal hazard will do la u signal left or right also can up to u

I would say if carpark wide then use left or right signal for parking intention

If small carpark, hazard will do as car behind wont be able to overtake u anyway

I chincai.. got show intention I take it.. No show intention n act blur I want to exercise my super saiyan powers on such drivers.. Lagi best is right turn junction.. Turn right liaox immediately come to a stop to alight passengers.. You signal left or hazard also wrong.. becox I'm still inside yellow box.. kuku.. be it taxi or passenger car.. same story..

Shake head bro.. high blood pressure rising.. see doctor also ex.. lolx..

• Praise 2

So are the electric bills... LOL

Maciam like they on signal, a litre of petrol is used up, just for the signals...

Edited by Kingkong

Why bother to waste petrol with reverse in parking? [confused] Just drive into the parking lot will do. [laugh] Its common practice in some countries to reverse park the car, so as to facilitate egress when there is a tornado/flooding, and the likes approaching [thumbsup] . Here only once in 50 years got flooding [hur] .

Can you explain why there is a waste of petrol in reverse parking? If you park head in, There is a need to reverse out subsequently? I believe more petrol is burnt when a car is reversed when cold, but it is insignificant.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1