How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

I believe there are valid reasons as well as personal preference for the 2 different methods of parking. Lets summaries the pros and cons of rev and head in parking for everybody's considerations.

Pros Head in parking

Quicker when on arrival.

Safer in high theft areas like some foreign countries, where parking head in makes it more difficult to tow away by force.

Easier to tow away legally in cases like flood or dead car.

Pros reverse parking

Quicker on departure.

For most drivers with average skills, It is easier to reverse into a lot than to reverse out of a lot because the View is clearer.

Safer as clearer view on departure. On arrival, driver should have a safe view since he had assessed the area immediately.

Please feel free to correct me or add on. Singaporeans park reverse in cos of safety conciousnes, the tight urban spaces as well low crime environment. No need to laugh at us or envy us.

• Praise 1

Signal hazard will do la u signal left or right also can up to u

I would say if carpark wide then use left or right signal for parking intention

If small carpark, hazard will do as car behind wont be able to overtake u anyway

not sure whether said in this thread.

I passed an open air HDB parklot; the driver hand signalled to me he is going out; I moved ahead of his car for him to exit;

very tight area (Jurong W );

the guy left his lot, and zoom a car from behind drove in.

Lesson? haha

I passed an open air HDB parklot; the driver hand signalled to me he is going out; I moved ahead of his car for him to exit;

Lesson? haha

Lesson? Car behind is a As*hole lol

Why bother to waste petrol with reverse in parking? [confused] Just drive into the parking lot will do. [laugh] Its common practice in some countries to reverse park the car, so as to facilitate egress when there is a tornado/flooding, and the likes approaching [thumbsup] . Here only once in 50 years got flooding [hur] .

Problem with head in first parking:

1) some carparks have excessively high kerbs. The tail is higher than the front lips in most cars.

2) some carparks have limited turning radius for head-in. End up re-adjusting.

3) head-in is more difficult to guage the centerline. A lot of bobo drivers simply don't care and leave their cars slanted.

On the other hand, i know some carpark aunties lazy to check on cars that park head in. 😊

• Praise 1

We only reverse out to more space when its safe to do so. However, we need to wait till its safe to reverse into the narrower lot space. [laugh]

Those I observed are all the other way round? [confused]

Ususally its first come first serve for car parking, unless reserved lots.

He paying for carparking too? [confused]

Lesson? haha

well, I am not sure what happened and cannot say the car behind stole the lot. From my rear view mirror, I chanced to see the driver just zoomed in head first; and got out oblivious to the fact I had signalled left.

The lesson I learn't is next time, stay behind the car which is going to exit.

That way, if anyone already 'chope' that lot will probably give a honk.

The incident happened in Jurong West st 41 around those blk 49x area on a sat morning. That carpark always have cars and trucks waiting for a lot. That's because the blocks there houses many coffee shops , a post office and some markets.

Usually i signal right/left depending on the lot i'm about to park, for example if the lot i'm going in is on the left i will keep on the left side and signal left. Some people use hazards, i think its up to the driver.

Isn't it supposed to be hazard light when waiting for lot?

Then when the lot is vacant already. Signal which side you reversing to, check blindspots, put into reverse gear, check blindspots again before starting to reverse.

i think it is also a nice gesture for the waiting car driver to remember if the exiting car will turn and leave in the direction the waiting car is pointing to have the courtesy to wait to the side of the parking lot so that the exiting car will leave in front of the waiting car.

• Praise 1

well, I am not sure what happened and cannot say the car behind stole the lot. From my rear view mirror, I chanced to see the driver just zoomed in head first; and got out oblivious to the fact I had signalled left.

The lesson I learn't is next time, stay behind the car which is going to exit.

That way, if anyone already 'chope' that lot will probably give a honk.

The incident happened in Jurong West st 41 around those blk 49x area on a sat morning. That carpark always have cars and trucks waiting for a lot. That's because the blocks there houses many coffee shops , a post office and some markets.

So drive-in carparking easier than reverse-in carparking method. [thumbsup] Turning Left signal = clear to overtake. Those who wanted to park need not be overtaking us. Perceived signal may not be interpreted similarly by others. [lipsrsealed]

forgot to mention: the driver had hand signalled me, ok I am going out.

as stated, I moved ahead of his car for him to exit. I singaled left as well as put to reverse gear.

the scene behind was abit confusing, as cars and vans were on the way out and my car way in their way due to the narrow point.

So my reverse signal and left signal is already quite clear.

So , 2 points to learn: form up behind the car exiting , and use hazard light is better.

• Praise 1

Hazard lights in most of the world mean your car is stationary (either intentionally or due to breakdown) and you do not intend to move until you cancel them and indicate your next move. In the meantime your car may be a temporary obstacle/inconvenience to other road users which could be hazardous if approaching vehicles do not realise you are stopped. The clue is in the name - use them only if you need to alert other cars that you are a potential hazard because you are stopped where this is unexpected (or because you are about to slow down rapidly on an expressway).

Hazards are not usually necessary at all for being parked at the side of the road or stopped waiting to park. In fact they can be counter productive as often only the right light is visible and other road users may think you are indicating to pull out. If a car is parked/stopped behind you, for goodness sake cancel your hazard lights!

By all means please use your indicators if other road users (including pedestrians) might benefit from knowing what you intend to do next.

The prevalent use of hazard lights in Singapore simply to indicate parking is quite bizarre, and not at all how they are used in the rest of the world. There are places where hazards are used for a second or two to thank the car behind after being let into a lane. Can't see that courteous use ever happening here though!

Thank you for reading. :)

Edited by Sam7770
  • Praise 2

Hazard lights in most of the world mean your car is stationary (either intentionally or due to breakdown) and you do not intend to move until you cancel them and indicate your next move. In the meantime your car may be a temporary obstacle/inconvenience to other road users which could be hazardous if approaching vehicles do not realise you are stopped. The clue is in the name - use them only if you need to alert other cars that you are a potential hazard because you are stopped where this is unexpected (or because you are about to slow down rapidly on an expressway).

Hazards are not usually necessary at all for being parked at the side of the road or stopped waiting to park. In fact they can be counter productive as often only the right light is visible and other road users may think you are indicating to pull out. If a car is parked/stopped behind you, for goodness sake cancel your hazard lights!

By all means please use your indicators if other road users (including pedestrians) might benefit from knowing what you intend to do next.

The prevalent use of hazard lights in Singapore simply to indicate parking is quite bizarre, and not at all how they are used in the rest of the world. There are places where hazards are used for a second or two to thank the car behind after being let into a lane. Can't see that courteous use ever happening here though!

Thank you for reading. :)

Couldn't agree more!

Couldn't agree more!

yea...duno how this damn practice of parking and putting hazards came in the first place....geez...

So drive-in carparking easier than reverse-in carparking method. [thumbsup] Turning Left signal = clear to overtake. Those who wanted to park need not be overtaking us. Perceived signal may not be interpreted similarly by others. [lipsrsealed]

Yes, i do the same also [thumbsup]

In crowded car park where many other drivers are waiting for empty lots all over the place, the decision will be:- which spot has the better chance to get a lot, or circling around scouting for one. I have seen passengers getting out to help the driver 'secure' a lot!! :D

Turbocharged

1) We should try not to kiss the kerb of our favourite car park lot. [lipsrsealed]

2) We need to be drive car with better turning radius. [sweatdrop]

3) Sure or not? Most drivers bobo? [shakehead]

I know someone who left her new car at home for nearly 12 months coz she failed driving tests 18 times but "kangho" bought her car before she passed her test!! Eventually she passed coz she tolonged the tester!

Nowadays her car is full of dents. She always uses valet parking, or just asks strangers to help her park unless the lots are empty and she could head in.

Some ppl just can't reverse/parallel

Guess it's the convenience and ease 'cos indicator light is subject to system self-cancellation when the steering wheel is twirled. And we have many lousy parkers who still need two poles....

Anyway, it's better than those who never signal at all.

I don't see it as a totally wrong method also, more of a local practice. It's indeed a hazardous situation when a driver is attempting to park especially in dimmed MSCP .

yea...duno how this damn practice of parking and putting hazards came in the first place....geez...

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Based on that hazard lights usage, let's see how many do the RIGHT or percieved RIGHT thing when parking.

Good to see what percentage of the MCFers here are ol skool or the new kayu school...hor @civic6228  :XD:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1