Why Car Makers Don't Make Indicator Switch to be Button?

alikato

Hi all

Since switching on the indicator stick is so difficult, why do car makers still insist on the indicator sticks?

Why not make it button on the steering wheel or make it digital touchscreen? Surely, there must be a reason why it is still an indicator stick. Anybody knows? Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

For safety reasons... so that you can activate the signal without lifting your eyes off the road.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 6

First time seeing somebody complaining about signal stalk. Button, Ferrari makes them.

Thanks I thought more car makers shd make buttons, easier for drivers who are lazy to use the signal stalk.

• Praise 1

Hi all

Since switching on the indicator stick is so difficult, why do car makers still insist on the indicator sticks?

Why not make it button on the steering wheel or make it digital touchscreen? Surely, there must be a reason why it is still an indicator stick. Anybody knows? Thanks.

stick or button....if a driver is just lazy, sense of self inportance, thinking he/she has the right of way nothing will change their mind...not even if they one day makes this controls just by using ones brain like a fighter jet HUD display. It all boils down to the driver's attitude and character.
  • Praise 16

Why not make it automatic lah, when turn steering wheel then the signal light appear. Else drivers are too lazy to use it even if you change to button!

Walao, ur idea better than mine.. Im just curious why still use the signal stick lah, use button more sleek looking also..

stick or button....if a driver is just lazy, sense of self inportance, thinking he/she has the right of way nothing will change their mind...not even if they one day makes this controls just by using ones brain like a fighter jet HUD display. It all boils down to the driver's attitude and character.

I agree ... cos these drivers don't even think about signaling in the first place.

Walao, ur idea better than mine.. Im just curious why still use the signal stick lah, use button more sleek looking also..

Because you can flick the signal stick while you are preparing to turn the steering wheel. I am sorry to hear you have difficulty doing that. See a doctor if you have to.

• Praise 4

That's true. Motorbikes have signal buttons long ago. One on the left and one on the right. Don't even have to think. Some drivers still get it wrong especially those signal stalk on the left hand side of the steering column.

Hi all

To answer your question

The signal stalk allows you to flick the signal both ways using only your fingers while you hand is still holding the steering. It can be accomplished with just one hand. Its can be done without looking at stalk so your eyes is on the road.

Also, Do take note there are still manual cars where you are required to work you left hand to change gears. The signal stalk is a perfected design from 120 years of automobile engineering.

It's also to allow driver to drive the car without relearning as signalling is the fundamental of driving, just like the steering wheel and pedals.

Having 2 buttons regardless both at each side of together at one side will make you clumsy and prone to pressing the wrong one.

Touchscreen is out of question cos we already have problem controlling my music while driving let alone switching indicators.

Now that I answer your question, Enjoy your school holidays... :)

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 20

To answer your question

The signal stalk allows you to flick the signal both ways using only your fingers while you hand is still holding the steering. It can be accomplished with just one hand. Its can be done without looking at stalk so your eyes is on the road.

Also, Do take note there are still manual cars where you are required to work you left hand to change gears. The signal stalk is a perfected design from 120 years of automobile engineering.

Having 2 buttons regardless both at each side of together at one side will make you clumsy and prone to pressing the wrong one.

Touchscreen is out of question cos we already have problem controlling my music while driving let alone switching indicators.

maybe he is thinking of next year's D&T project....and let us think for the solution...
  • Praise 1

maybe he is thinking of next year's D&T project....and let us think for the solution...ðððð

The fellow who spoke about auto signal. I think it make a good subject for a D&T project.

We already got auto lights and wipers and cruise control,why not auto signal?

Sensor detect a constant object moving at its side and the steering swaying it engage the signals to warn the object behind. I think it's brilliant!

That's true. Motorbikes have signal buttons long ago. One on the left and one on the right. Don't even have to think. Some drivers still get it wrong especially those signal stalk on the left hand side of the steering column.

Bikes different cos Change gear at feet and finger use to control clutch, so only thumbs are free to signal

The fellow who spoke about auto signal. I think it make a good subject for a D&T project.

We already got auto lights and wipers and cruise control,why not auto signal?

Sensor detect a constant object moving at its side and the steering swaying it engage the signals to warn the object behind. I think it's brilliant!

better dont hor.....like that next yr from feb-may this forum will be full undercover students trying to get heads up on next year D&T theme!

To answer your question

It's also to allow driver to drive the car without relearning as signalling is the fundamental of driving, just like the steering wheel and pedals.

Hi thanks for your detailed reply, my school holidays starting next Monday.. See you at the arcade:)

• Praise 1