Car with spacious backseats

Xjapan

MPVs seats are actually wider in the middle row as there is no rear wheel arch intrusion. Thus you get the use the entire bench seat. All sedans suffer from rear wheel arch to some extent. So although the accord is 100mm wider you might not really be able to use the space as the ISO fix will move the seats more inboard.

Good point. I agree that isofix points are the biggest limitation. I've only sat in ody 2nd row and not really in other mpvs.
↡ Advertisement

You are right I checked the numbers. But I'm not sure if the USA ody platform is similar to the ody here.

If u want 3 to be seated across the back row a mpv would be a good choice. But maybe this applies more to the larger mpvs. Definitely wish or sienta don't feel that wide to me. Only the bigger ones with a longer wheelbase bah.

thanks for the constructive inputs so far.

my bad i didn't state in my first post that i am trying to avoid mpv if possible.

Just wondering why really need to avoid mpv ie 7 seater

Generally speaking, mpv can be very useful for situations like yours where you need to have 2 car seats.

yes, you may not need 7 seats but its ok, although fuel consumption maybe slightly more, drive wise - dont worry abt feeling like a van, try test drive it and you may actually like it.

Understand some drivers who converted to mpv and has never look back, keep on buying another mpvs (due to interior space, seats versatility etc). A "small" mpv for u that only use 5 seats will give you lots of luggage space.

Really perhaps dont just dimiss the 7 seater as an options.

MPVs seats are actually wider in the middle row as there is no rear wheel arch intrusion. Thus you get the use the entire bench seat. All sedans suffer from rear wheel arch to some extent. So although the accord is 100mm wider you might not really be able to use the space as the ISO fix will move the seats more inboard.

True, thanks!

Good point. I agree that isofix points are the biggest limitation. I've only sat in ody 2nd row and not really in other mpvs.

for ody 232 configuration, same as wish/stream, the middle row is a "bench".

a 2 2 3 configuration will have individual middle row seats - will be good car seats -  or mother seat in middle row with one child on car seat, the other child on centre seat 3rd row - mom can attend to both easily

Generally speaking, mpv can be very useful for situations like yours where you need to have 2 car seats.

yes, you may not need 7 seats but its ok, although fuel consumption maybe slightly more, drive wise - dont worry abt feeling like a van, try test drive it and you may actually like it.

Understand some drivers who converted to mpv and has never look back, keep on buying another mpvs (due to interior space, seats versatility etc). A "small" mpv for u that only use 5 seats will give you lots of luggage space.

True, thanks!

a 2 2 3 configuration will have individual middle row seats - will be good car seats - or mother seat in middle row with one child on car seat, the other child on centre seat 3rd row - mom can attend to both easily

Depends on where the wife wants to seat. I'm biased towards saloon though I agree mpvs are just more useful.

Hey TS, Si4dr is right! Honda Edix meets your need. [thumbsup]

37729.jpg

Honda Edix is quite old by now, and will reach its end of life soon, unless you renew COE. As a not-very-common PI car, not sure whether spare parts will be a consideration if wanna get this car and renew COE.

Also, this car was more expensive than the older Wish (by i think $1000) when new, so if TS is not considering Wish, then Edix is in the same range, by right.

If width is the main consideration, then apart from Edix, i think there is another car with 3+3 configuration, which naturally means it should be somewhat wider than normal cars. I think it's a Fiat, if TS would like to consider it.

As this was my main reason for changing to my current car, I can hopefully give some insight.

I have 2 full sized car seats fastened by the latch system to my current pre FL accord.

When I mean full sized I mean a front facing seat that can seat a child all the way up to 22-25kg. My older girls seat has 2 cupholders.

My wife can squeeze into the center and sit there even for long trips. She's about 50kg between these two full sized seats. Getting in is a bit inconvenient when the children are already in their seats. Best for younger women. The design of the seats do matter. When my girl moves into a booster in two years my wife should be more comfortable.

In terms of car width,

A teana and camry are roughly 1820mm wide. The accord is 1860 and probably has the widest interior.

In comparison your altis would be about 1760 thereabouts. But the isofix or latch points dont allow you to squeeze the 2 child seats to the size.

Other than physically trying, you can refer to Edmunds website for the actual measurements. The most accurate will be rear hip width. Out of these 3, accord is the winner.

The es250 is based on an avalon, so it should be pretty similar.

I has more or less the same decision to make, and eventually switched from Corolla G9 to a Wish, and put one baby seat 2nd row, one in 3rd row...

Anyway there is no perfect solution.

Just make sure the kids are old enough to move to a booster. Anyone below 5 have no reason to be in a booster seat even if they fit one.

I see way too many parents doing that. If your kid sleeps and slumps over like a drunk over the seat belt while in those minimal booster under the butt. If suay suay an accident happens when they are sleeping like that, serious injuries will happen. If your kid can't sleep upright, they don't belong in those boosters which are just a cushion underneath.

OK OT

Am driving a renewed COE Edix now and the rear can fit 2 car seats and 1 adult comfortably. The boot still have space for my 10" woofer + baby pram + red pail for washing car.

Edited by Rollagt
  • Praise 4

Yes i know about it too

But when talking about back seat space, alot comes into consideration.

For example head room, foot well, knee room, seat width, middle seat comfort, ease of using child seat and even entry space.

If you want good back seat space, drivetrain tunnel must be flat to provide more footwell space for rear passenger. Some cars are known for small footwell space such as audi A6, lexus gs, mark x or even prev xf, these cars have huge transmission tunnel until u feel annoyed sitting behind, esp during long journey.

Okay

I know , I am just quoting from Paul Tan article

Am driving a renewed COE Edix now and the rear can fit 2 car seats and 1 adult comfortably. The boot still have space for my 10" woofer + baby pram + red pail for washing car.

2.0 or 1.7?

Actually if your brave you csn consider citroen C4 piccasso.

Full 3 seater behind. Baby seat can be placed in the centre as well. Priced at jap level, gearbox is now aisen.

• Praise 1

2.0 or 1.7?

1.7L but after driving it for 6months now, a 2.0 will be preferred.

Otherwise, this car is really really practical for my needs. Recently, I ferry an elderly relative to her home who had a minor knee ops commented that Edix car seat's height is good and getting in and out of the car is easier compared to other sedan cars. My parents also added that they dont need to "crawl "to the 3rd row like my sister's Honda Stream.

yes, 2.0 preferred. But 1.7 is sufficient to fetch around SG. No major service on Edix but remember to have a good car battery to support.

Edited by Jq1988

many thanks for the replies. i continued researching, looking at child seats and the youtube alexonauto is really useful. there are also several websites which provide information on which cars did they try to put 3 child seats behind, which is useful as well.

for those who are interested; here are some resources;

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alexonauto

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3-across-car-seat-guide-html/

http://blogs.babycenter.com/products_and_prizes/02052015-13-car-seats-that-fit-3-across-in-most-vehicles/

the crash car detective website and alexonauto yourubte channel really helped a lot.

to answer why i avoid mpv. i am not going to lie, i prefer the looks of a sedan, followed by suv. and strictly speaking,

if not for the big mpvs (which is out of my budget), essentially mpvs are sacrificing boot space for the 3rd row. 1 exception to this is the toyota wish. it looks like there is enough space for a stroller in upright position (or a subwoofer with excess for groceries) even with 3rd row used.

True, thanks!

a 2 2 3 configuration will have individual middle row seats - will be good car seats -  or mother seat in middle row with one child on car seat, the other child on centre seat 3rd row - mom can attend to both easily

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2