Car with spacious backseats

Xjapan

many thanks for the replies. i continued researching, looking at child seats and the youtube alexonauto is really useful. there are also several websites which provide information on which cars did they try to put 3 child seats behind, which is useful as well.

for those who are interested; here are some resources;

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alexonauto

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3-across-car-seat-guide-html/

http://blogs.babycenter.com/products_and_prizes/02052015-13-car-seats-that-fit-3-across-in-most-vehicles/

the crash car detective website and alexonauto yourubte channel really helped a lot.

to answer why i avoid mpv. i am not going to lie, i prefer the looks of a sedan, followed by suv. and strictly speaking,

if not for the big mpvs (which is out of my budget), essentially mpvs are sacrificing boot space for the 3rd row. 1 exception to this is the toyota wish. it looks like there is enough space for a stroller in upright position (or a subwoofer with excess for groceries) even with 3rd row used.

The only reliable way for u is you have to do car showroom shopping. Believe only your eyes. We can talk talk here and u will get nowhere.

Go to every showroom and sit in every potential car.

The center seat in many cars (with some exception) are pretty uncomfortable, hard. So you have to accept that.

Don't worry too much abt the child seats. They are plenty in the market. All sorts of brands and design.

Choose the right car first, coz choice of cars is more limited than the child seats in the market.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I don't know about that Honda Edix.

I heard its driven by parents that chop off their

daughter's head and stuck it on the dashboard. 

:D

motoring-graphics-2_819642a.jpg

• Praise 1

i have different thinking.

it is easier to buy child seats to suit the car, rather than car to suit the child seat.. therefore, child seat plays an important part here. when you get good protective child seat with slim profile, you have a wider choice of cars to choose from. even if the child seat is, lets say $700 as compared to 1 with a wide profile for $300, i rather spend that $400 more, rather than $20k more (ok exaggerating here) on a car to fit wide profile child seats. 

believing my own eyes is good, but even better if bring the child seats there to fit, and sit in between to see if it is possible to do so.

The only reliable way for u is you have to do car showroom shopping. Believe only your eyes. We can talk talk here and u will get nowhere.

Go to every showroom and sit in every potential car.

The center seat in many cars (with some exception) are pretty uncomfortable, hard. So you have to accept that.

Don't worry too much abt the child seats. They are plenty in the market. All sorts of brands and design.

Choose the right car first, coz choice of cars is more limited than the child seats in the market.

I don't know about that Honda Edix.

I heard its driven by parents that chop off their

daughter's head and stuck it on the dashboard. 

:D

motoring-graphics-2_819642a.jpg

Wahahah ! Wonder why Honda discontinued Edix..it is the best car for a 6 seater. Can ferry people + good boot space.

• Praise 1

Wahahah ! Wonder why Honda discontinued Edix..it is the best car for a 6 seater. Can ferry people + good boot space.

I wasn't a believer of Edix, but now i think it's safer than the mid-sized/compact MPVs, where the 3rd row seats' headrest is almost touching the rear windscreen...

The only advantage is the MPVs can take 7, but Edix only 6.

Rear seat spaciousness is subjective.

The design of the seat itself is more important. Whether you sit in it or on it.

Example... a latio may have similar leg space to a 5er, but you sit "on" the seat of a latio while in a 5er, you feel cocooned in the seat.

Take a long ride and you would know the difference.

• Praise 1

i agree.. edix seating config is the best for a family with 2 young kids..

but the honda jade is also a 6 seater with 2-2-2 configuration, right?

I wasn't a believer of Edix, but now i think it's safer than the mid-sized/compact MPVs, where the 3rd row seats' headrest is almost touching the rear windscreen...

Guys on this topic for spacious car, I am in the market for an SUV, anyone has any experience with Range Rover?

Friend offering me his 3 year old RR Sport 3.0 SC. After CNY he want to trade in for GLC cos easier to drive. RR is too huge. 

He say give him slightly more than his trade in, he will just pass it over to me. Got full records and stuff.  

I really love the look of the car, Very tempted but worried about reliability, any first hand knowledge with any bros here?

• Praise 1

yes i agree the design of the seat is important, for my situation, it is good if the bolsters of the seat at the side would not be so thick. so that more of the actual seat space can be utilised. 

i am not sure what is a 5er, but if you are referring to a BMW 5 series, just nice i had ex colleagues who drove 5 series and latio, the latio is more spacious than the 5.

Rear seat spaciousness is subjective.

The design of the seat itself is more important. Whether you sit in it or on it.

Example... a latio may have similar leg space to a 5er, but you sit "on" the seat of a latio while in a 5er, you feel cocooned in the seat.

Take a long ride and you would know the difference.

but the honda jade is also a 6 seater with 2-2-2 configuration, right?

If it's a mid-sized MPV with 3 rows of seats that can only seat 2 pax on each row, then I will rule it out immediately.

Reasons:

1) three rows mid-sized means 3rd row sure v close to rear windscreen: safety on rear impact is there

2) as long as you have 5 pax in the car, you will need at least one 3rd row seat up, so luggage space if you need, is greatly reduced

3) When you need to seat 6 pax, forget about luggage space

4) in the event you have 7 pax, cannot even fit in

So it's a pity that Edix is discontinued, else I don't see how Jade can survive. Actually that could be the reason why Edix was stopped.

If you really really want a 3-3 seater, i think Fiat has one. But it's Fiat, so i won't recommend it. 

agreed, it is a pity, 3-3 config is very good. actually edix was the first car that came to my mind.

If it's a mid-sized MPV with 3 rows of seats that can only seat 2 pax on each row, then I will rule it out immediately.

Reasons:

1) three rows mid-sized means 3rd row sure v close to rear windscreen: safety on rear impact is there

2) as long as you have 5 pax in the car, you will need at least one 3rd row seat up, so luggage space if you need, is greatly reduced

3) When you need to seat 6 pax, forget about luggage space

4) in the event you have 7 pax, cannot even fit in

So it's a pity that Edix is discontinued, else I don't see how Jade can survive. Actually that could be the reason why Edix was stopped.

If you really really want a 3-3 seater, i think Fiat has one. But it's Fiat, so i won't recommend it. 

Guys on this topic for spacious car, I am in the market for an SUV, anyone has any experience with Range Rover?

Friend offering me his 3 year old RR Sport 3.0 SC. After CNY he want to trade in for GLC cos easier to drive. RR is too huge.

He say give him slightly more than his trade in, he will just pass it over to me. Got full records and stuff.

I really love the look of the car, Very tempted but worried about reliability, any first hand knowledge with any bros here?

At trade in plus, it's very attractive.

RR sport is definitely one of the most desirable SUVs out there - muscular design, great interior, well respected badge.

Just need to go in with eyes open as reliability is a problem historically and parts/service is not cheap. Plus FC isn't great (though FC shouldn't be a major concern for someone who can buy a RR).

But if you are getting it at trade in price, you should have a pretty good buffer to play with. I would do it.

• Praise 1

For me, i had 2 young kids age, 1 and 4 plus i had elderly parents. So family outing is usually 6 pax so Edix fits me perfectly. Elderly parents no need to crawl to 3rd row, i had a easier time securing kids in child seat (back row) and booster seat(front middle seat). And boot can hold a pram and groceries.

Ever ferried 4 adults (less than 1.7m) on the back row on staggered and its comfy enough due to the width of the car.

7 seat mid size MPV will be ideal for those who had kids that are old enough for at least a booster seat. Otherwise, either the elderly had to crawl to 3rd row or u have to struggle to secure infants or toddlers on the 3rd row seats.

i have different thinking.

it is easier to buy child seats to suit the car, rather than car to suit the child seat.. therefore, child seat plays an important part here. when you get good protective child seat with slim profile, you have a wider choice of cars to choose from. even if the child seat is, lets say $700 as compared to 1 with a wide profile for $300, i rather spend that $400 more, rather than $20k more (ok exaggerating here) on a car to fit wide profile child seats. 

believing my own eyes is good, but even better if bring the child seats there to fit, and sit in between to see if it is possible to do so.

I'm sure you can. Most showrooms are reasonable if you say you want to test child seat in their cars.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

For me, i had 2 young kids age, 1 and 4 plus i had elderly parents. So family outing is usually 6 pax so Edix fits me perfectly. Elderly parents no need to crawl to 3rd row, i had a easier time securing kids in child seat (back row) and booster seat(front middle seat). And boot can hold a pram and groceries.

Ever ferried 4 adults (less than 1.7m) on the back row on staggered and its comfy enough due to the width of the car.

7 seat mid size MPV will be ideal for those who had kids that are old enough for at least a booster seat. Otherwise, either the elderly had to crawl to 3rd row or u have to struggle to secure infants or toddlers on the 3rd row seats.

I find securing kids in the 3rd row easier if you do it through the boot instead. Easier than squeezing to the back to fasten them. But now 2 of my kids using booster already so just put them at the back since they can buckle up themselves.

At trade in plus, it's very attractive.

RR sport is definitely one of the most desirable SUVs out there - muscular design, great interior, well respected badge.

Just need to go in with eyes open as reliability is a problem historically and parts/service is not cheap. Plus FC isn't great (though FC shouldn't be a major concern for someone who can buy a RR).

But if you are getting it at trade in price, you should have a pretty good buffer to play with. I would do it.

If his Friend is buying GLC and let Merc quote a overtrade value it will be easily 20K above what regular second hand dealer will take in for... not gonna be cheap... 3 yrs old RR Sports was during 85k COE time...
↡ Advertisement