Khaw Boon Wan on taxi fare evasion

Yamapi

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, we are most sympathetic to the taxi drivers who experience such incidents. But if the taxi driver could not tell us the identity of the person, other than saying that the person is of a particular race, or gender, it is very hard for us to track down the person. So, I think common sense requires the taxi drivers, when they encounter such an incident, to get as much information as they can from the fare evader: basic information like name, address and so on. There are instances we know of where they could not get the information, they will try to report to the Police, fetched the passenger all the way to the police station and let the Police step in. The primary duty or responsibility of helping the taxi drivers resides with the taxi operator and the operator should be the first to help out, which must also include sharing with their taxi drivers tips on how to reduce such incidents and, as I said, some of which are common sense, which is that you must get the basic information.

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp?currentTopicID=00010276-WA&currentPubID=00010243-WA&topicKey=00010243-WA.00010276-WA_4%2Bid-0db411d8-c7f2-4751-bd4a-50664ed63e3e%2B

Whoa maybe next time u will need to surrender your IC to the taxi driver when u take taxi?

Edited by Yamapi
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, we are most sympathetic to the taxi drivers who experience such incidents. But if the taxi driver could not tell us the identity of the person, other than saying that the person is of a particular race, or gender, it is very hard for us to track down the person. So, I think common sense requires the taxi drivers, when they encounter such an incident, to get as much information as they can from the fare evader: basic information like name, address and so on. There are instances we know of where they could not get the information, they will try to report to the Police, fetched the passenger all the way to the police station and let the Police step in. The primary duty or responsibility of helping the taxi drivers resides with the taxi operator and the operator should be the first to help out, which must also include sharing with their taxi drivers tips on how to reduce such incidents and, as I said, some of which are common sense, which is that you must get the basic information.

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp?currentTopicID=00010276-WA&currentPubID=00010243-WA&topicKey=00010243-WA.00010276-WA_4%2Bid-0db411d8-c7f2-4751-bd4a-50664ed63e3e%2B

Whoa maybe next time u will need to surrender your IC to the taxi driver when u take taxi?

It's true what, if can't get basic information how can the police know is who to catch? Maybe instead of asking where he stays as the culprit will definitely not say out where he stays. Instead, have a sharp object, and put a flight, ensure he is bleeding, then police can get blood sample of the culprit. Of coz not ask to use chopper, not knives, not penknives.. Maybe give every taxi driver a device that can press to open up the sharp part of surface. The taxi driver can use that device to scratch the culprit face, hands or whatever he could and get blood samples.. Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

but if got talk like no talk. 

might as well dun talk?

we dun need to pay ppl millions to go parliament and tell us stuff like 1 + 1 = 2 

right??

• Praise 10

It's true what, if can't get basic information how can the police know is who to catch? Maybe instead of asking where he stays as the culprit will definitely not say out where he stays. Instead, have a sharp object, and put a flight, ensure he is bleeding, then police can get blood sample of the culprit. Of coz not ask to use chopper, not knives, not penknives.. Maybe give every taxi driver a device that can press to open up the sharp part of surface. The taxi driver can use that device to scratch the culprit face, hands or whatever he could and get blood samples..

I see you're not only a genius in world finance and economics but also an all round genius sharper than the sharpest of knives and probably sharper than Einstein
  • Praise 5

how I love this Court Jester and his merry men  [nod] Without him, parliament will be damn boring  [bounce2]

but if got talk like no talk. 

might as well dun talk?

we dun need to pay ppl millions to go parliament and tell us stuff like 1 + 1 = 2 

right??

but people love this type of minster mah  [flowerface]

• Praise 4

I see you're not only a genius in world finance and economics but also an all round genius sharper than the sharpest of knives and probably sharper than Einstein

How I wish I could be as genius as Einstein but I am not. Haha..

How I wish I could be as genius as Einstein but I am not. Haha..

Police want catch just take the fingerprint on the taxi right?Unless the passenger hantu no finger. [lipsrsealed]

It's true what, if can't get basic information how can the police know is who to catch? Maybe instead of asking where he stays as the culprit will definitely not say out where he stays. Instead, have a sharp object, and put a flight, ensure he is bleeding, then police can get blood sample of the culprit. Of coz not ask to use chopper, not knives, not penknives.. Maybe give every taxi driver a device that can press to open up the sharp part of surface. The taxi driver can use that device to scratch the culprit face, hands or whatever he could and get blood samples..

Since taxi fare evasion is such a serious crime, SPF should invest in facial recognition software. 

Definitely can find the him/her including tourist.

Since taxi fare evasion is such a serious crime, SPF should invest in facial recognition software.

Definitely can find the him/her including tourist.

Probably soon, which advancement in technology, maybe in few years time what you say may come true.. Haha

Next time must ask passenger if they going to evade fare first

If they answer "yes", then have to take down their particulars such as name, NRIC no, tel and address, before they could get into the taxi.

This is the SOP, I'm sure they like SOP.

• Praise 3

Probably soon, which advancement in technology, maybe in few years time what you say may come true.. Haha

Now already can hor.  No need a few years time.

The only problem; SPF willing to do or not?