Khaw Boon Wan on taxi fare evasion

Yamapi

He also said learn from Uber etc leh... so maybe taxi companies need to take note to have account info loh..

so in future...no more flag down...all by booking

↡ Advertisement

yeah... Taxis are part of "public transport" system.

By definition, if it is public, there is no reason why your face or movements cannot be tracked.

Sori my friend taxi are never part of public transport system, if so why are our road tax so high

+ retina eye scan.

if got o/s taxi fare,

1. for drunk tourist

cannot leave Changi, Seletar, Tuas, Causeway, Tanah Merah, Harbourfront etc.

2. for regular local

auto deduct from ez-link card

3. for leech local

auto debit Visa INFINITE card.

there, solved.

[scholar]

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, we are most sympathetic to the taxi drivers who experience such incidents. But if the taxi driver could not tell us the identity of the person, other than saying that the person is of a particular race, or gender, it is very hard for us to track down the person. So, I think common sense requires the taxi drivers, when they encounter such an incident, to get as much information as they can from the fare evader: basic information like name, address and so on. There are instances we know of where they could not get the information, they will try to report to the Police, fetched the passenger all the way to the police station and let the Police step in. The primary duty or responsibility of helping the taxi drivers resides with the taxi operator and the operator should be the first to help out, which must also include sharing with their taxi drivers tips on how to reduce such incidents and, as I said, some of which are common sense, which is that you must get the basic information.

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp?currentTopicID=00010276-WA¤tPubID=00010243-WA&topicKey=00010243-WA.00010276-WA_4%2Bid-0db411d8-c7f2-4751-bd4a-50664ed63e3e%2B

Whoa maybe next time u will need to surrender your IC to the taxi driver when u take taxi?

Kam lan, go electronic payment, solve the problem.

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, we are most sympathetic to the taxi drivers who experience such incidents. But if the taxi driver could not tell us the identity of the person, other than saying that the person is of a particular race, or gender, it is very hard for us to track down the person. So, I think common sense requires the taxi drivers, when they encounter such an incident, to get as much information as they can from the fare evader: basic information like name, address and so on. There are instances we know of where they could not get the information, they will try to report to the Police, fetched the passenger all the way to the police station and let the Police step in. The primary duty or responsibility of helping the taxi drivers resides with the taxi operator and the operator should be the first to help out, which must also include sharing with their taxi drivers tips on how to reduce such incidents and, as I said, some of which are common sense, which is that you must get the basic information.

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp?currentTopicID=00010276-WA&currentPubID=00010243-WA&topicKey=00010243-WA.00010276-WA_4%2Bid-0db411d8-c7f2-4751-bd4a-50664ed63e3e%2B

Whoa maybe next time u will need to surrender your IC to the taxi driver when u take taxi?

It is pretty obvious he very likely has never taken a taxi for a very very long time and has never been a taxi driver. Most times, if you have never been in the person's shoe, best is not to make unnecessary comments, even if you are paid millions. Sometimes silence is golden or talk less is more.

And also, he is not a problem solver to me. He only can highlight problem. To me, any effectively and efficient leader is a problem solver.

• Praise 1

https://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topic.jsp?currentTopicID=00010276-WA&currentPubID=00010243-WA&topicKey=00010243-WA.00010276-WA_4%2Bid-0db411d8-c7f2-4751-bd4a-50664ed63e3e%2B

Whoa maybe next time u will need to surrender your IC to the taxi driver when u take taxi?

Taxi driver ( TD) : Thank you , that will be $10.50 , do you need a receipt ?

Passanger (P) : uncle I no money cannot pay you.

TD: Why like that ? So how ? I call the police .

P: Call la , you also don't know who I am

TD : give me your name and address and ic number

P: neh ni neh ni poo poo and walks away

• Praise 1

It is pretty obvious he very likely has never taken a taxi for a very very long time and has never been a taxi driver. Most times, if you have never been in the person's shoe, best is not to make unnecessary comments, even if you are paid millions. Sometimes silence is golden or talk less is more.

And also, he is not a problem solver to me. He only can highlight problem. To me, any effectively and efficient leader is a problem solver.

I think our culture here is not to solve problem but can only highlight problem. Even the most basic transport issue like you feedback that bus is overcrowded, and the bus operator would highlight the problem when they reply to you, in the end never able to solve the overcrowded problem. Lol.

Actually I just wondering. Why can't they just have an in car camera? Then the fare evaders will have the face shown so the police can act or in worst case post on social media websites like stomp or Facebook? Like how they trace shop lifters.

I heard before there are concerns because the videos may show compromising pictures? I disagree. The camera can be placed in such a way as to show the passenger's face and not aiming at body or legs.

In any case the footage can be made accessible only to designated people in the taxi company or the police to prevent abuse.

If taxi companies can install cameras in every taxi to prevent fraudulent acciders claims I don't see why they cannot do this to protect the drivers.

That's why i say, since it is serious crime, SPF should have facial recognition software to find the culprit.

It is either SPF incompetent or lazy only.

Now should be quite expensive, wait a few more years when the technology become cheaper then it is more feasible lor..

Even iphoto in my iphone have facial recognition capablility, expensive meh?

Supercharged

Actually I just wondering. Why can't they just have an in car camera? Then the fare evaders will have the face shown so the police can act or in worst case post on social media websites like stomp or Facebook? Like how they trace shop lifters.

I heard before there are concerns because the videos may show compromising pictures? I disagree. The camera can be placed in such a way as to show the passenger's face and not aiming at body or legs.

In any case the footage can be made accessible only to designated people in the taxi company or the police to prevent abuse.

If taxi companies can install cameras in every taxi to prevent fraudulent acciders claims I don't see why they cannot do this to protect the drivers.

See link below for "In-vehicle cameras to be installed in all ComfortDelGro taxis"

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/in-vehicle-cameras-to-be-installed-in-all-comfortdelgro-taxis

One of the criteria is such that "They cannot be adjusted to face inward, so passengers' privacy will not be compromised"

aiyo.. sure can catch lah, only want to put in effort or not....  101 ways. eg All they need is to send memo to singtel/starhub to track the phone user who took this route at this time.

But of course no one wants to do all that for $10. Cost >>>> benefit

Must justify higher fines than can follow up. So he needs to come up with draft law etc etc and parliament needs to approve. Lots of work you know.

SG practice is ............not serious enough no action..............need to collect data first..........analyse see how serious ............after that set up a panel to investigate............submit investigation result ...........see how much percentage increase year on year...........after that set up panel to advice on solution.............follow by parliamentarian debate..............debate again..........and debate again.........maybe need some more investigation............oh and this is if the debate is to solve problem for the public..........

if is solution to benefit the gov..........decide today...........debate tomorrow........no objection................pass the new rule day after...............this is simply SG................ [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

Don't take words out of context lah. Luckily I click on the link to do some reading. Ppl here all jump to the wrong conclusion all thanks to you.

Looking at the comments I also shake head. Wanna post, post the whole content.

Non-payment of Taxi Fare

16 Assoc Prof Randolph Tan asked the Minister for Transport (a) how often are taxi fare evasions reported involving cases where the fare evader is not identified; and (b) whether the existing process by which taxi companies refer taxi fare evasion cases to PTC/LTA for investigations handles such cases.

17 Assoc Prof Randolph Tan asked the Minister for Transport whether the rate of recovery of unpaid fares in taxi fare evasion cases referred to PTC/LTA for investigations is satisfactory.

The Minister for Transport (Mr Khaw Boon Wan): Madam, can I take Question Nos 16 and 17 together, please?

Mdm Speaker: Yes, please.

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: The number of taxi fare evasion cases is about 150 every month, out of about 700,000 taxi trips. Sixty-five percent of fare evasion cases involved unidentified fare evaders, which are very challenging to resolve. So, that is about two-thirds, that means about 100 such cases per month. Because they are not identified, we do not know the identity of these evaders.

LTA was able to recover fares for about half of all cases referred to it for investigation. These include both identified as well as unidentified evaders, and we were able to help resolve about half of them, bearing in mind that among all fare evasion cases, two-thirds are without identity.

To further deter fare evasion, we introduced higher penalties for fare evaders in May this year. If found guilty, fare evaders are liable to a fine of up to $1,000 for first-timers, while subsequent offenders may be fined up to $2,000, or jailed up to six months, or both. It is also mandatory for offenders to make restitution payment to taxi drivers.

Assoc Prof Randolph Tan (Nominated Member): Thank you, Madam. I thank the Minister for sharing those statistics. I think the concern that I have is that for taxi drivers, unlike other forms of public transport, they do not have as large an infrastructure to support them in a situation like this. I think the Minister mentioned a very important point about the increase in penalties for fare evaders. But given that a large number of fare evasion cases involved unidentified fare evaders, is it possible for PTC and LTA to consider maybe helping the taxi drivers who actually suffer from such fare evasion cases directly, so that it reduces the risk that they face in the course of providing a very important public service?

I think taxi operators can also take a look at how some of the new players in this field, for example, Uber and Grab, how do they handle such cases. And there are obviously good best practices which they can pick up from these new players. But my message to commuters who cheat on taxi drivers is this: taxi driving is tough work and they need the money, the revenue, to feed their family. Please do not cheat on them.

Ms Chia Yong Yong (Nominated Member): Clarification, Madam. I would like to ask the Minister if he would consider in-vehicle cameras to identify passengers which would also help protect taxi drivers.

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, as I said, the primary duty or responsibility lies with the taxi operator. Certainly, ideas like these are things that they should consider and, I think, some already do. But sometimes if you just get the image but without much other information and the fellow just runs away, it is not easy to track down. Where the identity is known, our success rate in tracking down and getting the money back for the taxi driver is pretty good. Where it requires us to go all the way to the court, success rate is about 85%. But we do need to know the identity.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Don't take words out of context lah. Luckily I click on the link to do some reading. Ppl here all jump to the wrong conclusion all thanks to you.

Thks Watwheels. Yes, shld have chk out the article first.

So he did provide solutions. Gd to know he is trying. I take back what I mentioned.

I got a suggestion:

- if passengers is gonna pay by cash, they will require to pay a deposit of, say, $10. This $10 will be placed in a transparent box in full view of passenger and taxi driver. upon arrival of destination, the passengers will pay the balance of fee or get return back of change if less than $10.

- if passengers are paying by cards, swipe the card first, and upon arrival, just key in the amt to be paid in full.

- make this compulsory, otherwise taxi driver can reject the passenger

Edited by SWUBIZ
  • Praise 1

I see this comment, i tulan

Mr Khaw Boon Wan: Madam, as I said, the primary duty or responsibility lies with the taxi operator. Certainly, ideas like these are things that they should consider and, I think, some already do. But sometimes if you just get the image but without much other information and the fellow just runs away, it is not easy to track down. Where the identity is known, our success rate in tracking down and getting the money back for the taxi driver is pretty good. Where it requires us to go all the way to the court, success rate is about 85%. But we do need to know the identity.

This is an idiot comments.  Face recognition software is widely available.  It is the willingness of the relevant authority.  Don't tell me cannot track tourist hor.

While I can understand kbw prob never took a taxi before

I can't believe his perm sec, div directors and assistant directors who drafted and cleared the reply to also never have taken a taxi before as well

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2