Bluetooth system in car?

jaspal81

Hi guys, I just bought a second hand 1 series BMW. I am puzzled because the steering wheel has a telephone button but I can't seem to activate the calling function or Bluetooth.

How do I check if I have Bluetooth?

Can I install it if I don't?

Any advice is appreciated.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi guys, I just bought a second hand 1 series BMW. I am puzzled because the steering wheel has a telephone button but I can't seem to activate the calling function or Bluetooth.

How do I check if I have Bluetooth?

Can I install it if I don't?

Any advice is appreciated.

If there is a telephone button (on steering wheel or headunit), usually has bluetooth.

First must pair your phone to the car.

Try press the telephone button (keep on pressing), to set up the pairing process....the rest should be easy.

Otherwise, check and read your car manual and look out for the relevant section.

Other MCF members who owns similar BMW may advise you in detail.

• Praise 1

Some may have the button but may not have the function. The button just dummy for show only.

Check your iDrive system. If there is 'Telephone' then there is Bluetooth.

• Praise 2

Some may have the button but may not have the function. The button just dummy for show only.

Mine is a 2011 model but doesn't come with I Drive. It has the telephone button on the steering wheel but nothing happens when I hold it down.

Does it mean I don't have Bluetooth? Can I add it on? How much will it cost?

Mine is a 2011 model but doesn't come with I Drive. It has the telephone button on the steering wheel but nothing happens when I hold it down.

From one website - not sure if it apply to SG BMW

How to pair your phone to the BMW Bluetooth system

1) Press and hold the pairing button (NOT Steering Wheel button) with the ignition off.  While holding the button turn the ignition to the accessory position, (first position), keep holding the button for an additional 3 seconds, and let go.  The instrument cluster, radio or nav display will show the words Bluetooth Pairing.

ps: Benarsenal may be right, it may be a dummy (options not installed)

as what other bros say, the button may be dummy. when assembling car in factory they just use the same steering wheel for all cars, but only those with option installed then the button will be connected and functional. if your 2nd hand car originally dont have that option, then you cannot use.

alternatively, if you really really need bluetooth function, aftermarket options can always work. i'm not up to date with aftermarket bluetooth, but i had a friend who installed parrot bluetooth on his BMW a few years ago and now still working well. this is a seperate system from iDrive.

In today's context, you look like that while driving, people think you're an Uber driver.

I think not many drive a bmw as uber.

Those who have watched topgear will remember this.

221347.jpg

Edited by Watwheels

I ask the Mercedes one before,about $1,000.

I can confirm the 'dummy' theory. This was the case with my first BMW, an airshow 520i bought from PML.

Sorry TS, you're out of luck. An integrated retrofit is probably quite expensive.

If there is a telephone button (on steering wheel or headunit), usually has bluetooth.

Try press the telephone button (keep on pressing), to set up the pairing process....the rest should be easy.

Otherwise, check and read your car manual and look out for the relevant section.

Thanks bros. I checked with PML. Turns out I don't have Bluetooth in the car..

Anyone knows any good after market rear view mirror that comes with Bluetooth for making/answering calls?

I heard some also come with camera and navigation.

Any recommendations?

↡ Advertisement