Stroke and recovery (economically)

Ysc3

just heard from my wife when she visited a friend in Choa Chu Kang ... apparently, her friend's SIL suffered a stroke last year and is now in recovery stage.

at first, her employer took her back when she got better .... but she is not as fast or sharp as she used to be ... and only recently, the company decided  "let her go".

she used to be middle-waged ...I think 4k thereabouts ... and she helped her younger brother (the friend's husband) with a lot of paperwork things as the brother was not so educated and works as a gravel truck driver. She also helped him financially as he has 3 small kids - 4 to 7 years old and his family is already heavily subsidized by CDAC.

now she is unemployed but luckily she still has a flat and is now renting it out for her expenses and she is now living with the brother. I am guessing total income now will be about less than $3k for 3 adults and 3 kids.

I will try to find out more and if she is willing to received help from SPD .... but I doubt any jobs that SPD might have will be able to cover her medical and living expenses - including the brother's family also.

So just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience where this family can get more help ... I believe she wants to work ... but hopefully the salary can help out more in the family.

↡ Advertisement

just heard from my wife when she visited a friend in Choa Chu Kang ... apparently, her friend's SIL suffered a stroke last year and is now in recovery stage.

at first, her employer took her back when she got better .... but she is not as fast or sharp as she used to be ... and only recently, the company decided  "let her go".

she used to be middle-waged ...I think 4k thereabouts ... and she helped her younger brother (the friend's husband) with a lot of paperwork things as the brother was not so educated and works as a gravel truck driver. She also helped him financially as he has 3 small kids - 4 to 7 years old and his family is already heavily subsidized by CDAC.

now she is unemployed but luckily she still has a flat and is now renting it out for her expenses and she is now living with the brother. I am guessing total income now will be about less than $3k for 3 adults and 3 kids.

I will try to find out more and if she is willing to received help from SPD .... but I doubt any jobs that SPD might have will be able to cover her medical and living expenses - including the brother's family also.

So just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience where this family can get more help ... I believe she wants to work ... but hopefully the salary can help out more in the family.

has she approach CDC (https://www.cdc.org.sg/) for help to cover her medical bills?

Since the brother family is already heavily subsidized by CDAC, they can try to approach CDC to see if further subsidized on other living expenses.

As for job matching, it will be quite tough for her physical constraint. You can still try on both CDAC and CDC for their job matching/job fare, which they are able to assess what is suitable for her. 

her age group ? 

• Praise 1

Complain to MOM.How can like dat!! [furious]

On what grounds? Company is already compassionate enough to give her chance for one year leh.

Even if they asked her to leave right away also no case.

On what grounds? Company is already compassionate enough to give her chance for one year leh.

Even if they asked her to leave right away also no case.

Sad lor  . . .  my office got a few stroke cases happened during working hours . .

One recovered fully but the other still not back after almost a year. I guess she'll be asked to leave?  [smallcry]

Sad lor  . . .  my office got a few stroke cases happened during working hours . .

One recovered fully but the other still not back after almost a year. I guess she'll be asked to leave?  [smallcry]

Guess it depends on company and boss?

Is she on paid leave this one year? If also, already very compassionate leh. IMO, you need to safeguard yourself with insurance or children  [laugh]

During office hours? That is very scary. 

Guess it depends on company and boss?

Is she on paid leave this one year? If also, already very compassionate leh. IMO, you need to safeguard yourself with insurance or children  [laugh]

orhh . . dun worry I started to take it easy loh

on relak mode all the time, surf MCF, listen to radio . . . 

All the best to TS's wife's friend with her rehabilitation and hopefully CDAC can do more to help. 

She can try msw. There r many ministry of social welfare offices at the neighbourhood. I am a volunteer w a npo n has accompanied n helped some patients applied for social welfare. She will be assessed by a social welfare officer. If granted, she will get a monthly stipend, conservancy charges n power bills waived off, n she shld also apply for subsidized medical thru moh. I know of patients who r fully subsidized. Tat one can apply thru whichever hospital(public) she visit that had a msw office. Hope the info help. But just to take note, these two yrs, more people r applying n it takes abit longer n criteria more stringent. N the welfare is only valid for 6to 12 months subjected to renewal.

• Praise 4

During office hours? That is very scary. 

Yeah... must be the work conditions there or they like to hire older people who are more prone to stroke?

My previous workplace had 500-600 people. None had stroke in the workplace in the 4 years I worked there and I didn't even hear of any who got stroke outside of work...

Complain to MOM.How can like dat!!  [furious]

business is not a charity.

i know it sounds cruel.

but as a boss. esp those small sme.

between someone healthy and productive vs someone sick and slower due to stroke. can't really blame them.

• Praise 2

big company, you don't even know some staff there. Sometimes thought they are visitors... hahaha....

Yeah... must be the work conditions there or they like to hire older people who are more prone to stroke?

My previous workplace had 500-600 people. None had stroke in the workplace in the 4 years I worked there and I didn't even hear of any who got stroke outside of work...

i think the 3 month salary is mandated by MOM? I think already very good liao leh.

Company is to earn money one.

Of course if got loyal employee, then hopefully company does more lor.

Or maybe offer a pay cut for a easier job. 

But if stroke affect your mental functioning, very hard for the company also. Especially SME, a lot of employees must multi-task or bao sua bao hai.

big company, you don't even know some staff there. Sometimes thought they are visitors... hahaha....

I know almost everyone la.

Rotated thru HR for a time. 

Those that I don't know would know me  [:p]

↡ Advertisement