Brazilian football team Chapecoense on plane that crashed in

ins1dious

Not sure where to put this developing tragedy... has been going on since morning... but it's mostly confirmed now.

76 dead, 5 survive. Plane was also carrying the Chapesoense football team to Colombia for the Copa Sudamericana final against Colombian side Atlético Nacional. This was a fairy tale season for them as they'd been promoted to the top flight in 2014 only.

Read somewhere else that they were supposed to travel in their own chartered plane but was refused permission by Brazil authorities. So they had to switch to this tragic flight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/nov/29/brazilian-team-chapecoense-onboard-plane-that-crashed-over-colombia-latest

Here’s what we know so far:

A charter plane carrying 81 people, including 22 players from the Brazilian football club Chapecoense, crashed in Cerro Gordo, Colombia.

Police say 76 people were killed, and five survived. One of the dead, survived the crash, but died in hospital.

Survivors included three members of the team, according to unconfirmed reports.. They included Danilo, the team’s 31-year-old goalkeeper, and Alan Ruschel who was being treated for very severe injuries. Jackson Follmann was also reportedly among the survivors.

The plane was given priority to land but didn’t make the airport, according to Alfredo Bocanegra, the head of Colombia’s civil aviation authority. It lost contact with ground controllers around midnight.

The plane was en route from Bolivia to Medellin airport in Colombia, where the team was due to play in the Copa Americana.

Bad weather is hampering rescue efforts, but an estimated 90 emergency services workers are now at the crash site.

Football teams across Brazil have been sending out their prayers to the Chapecoense club.

The mayor of Medellin said the crash was “a tragedy of huge proportions.”

CyanG_QWQAE7Dsj.jpg

Daily Mail has more pictures

3AD871E900000578-3980974-Alan_Ruschel_is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3980974/Plane-carrying-72-passengers-including-Brazilian-football-team-crashes-Colombia-reports-say.html

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Sigh... RIP.

Not sure where to put this developing tragedy... has been going on since morning... but it's mostly confirmed now.

76 dead, 5 survive. Plane was also carrying the Chapesoense football team to Colombia for the Copa Sudamericana final against Colombian side Atlético Nacional. This was a fairy tale season for them as they'd been promoted to the top flight in 2014 only.

Read somewhere else that they were supposed to travel in their own chartered plane but was refused permission by Brazil authorities. So they had to switch to this tragic flight.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/nov/29/brazilian-team-chapecoense-onboard-plane-that-crashed-over-colombia-latest

CyanG_QWQAE7Dsj.jpg

Daily Mail has more pictures

3AD871E900000578-3980974-Alan_Ruschel_is

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3980974/Plane-carrying-72-passengers-including-Brazilian-football-team-crashes-Colombia-reports-say.html

What is it with football teams in South America?

Last time one plane crash in the snowy mountains

and the players had to eat each other.

:D  

• Praise 1

There have been some decent gestures by the other Brazilian teams and also their Colombian rivals for their final... who have requested to concede the cup final in favour of Chapecoense. 

Despite all the gestures of offer of players and protection from relegation... it'll be tough for this minnows team to recover I think.

It took a while for Busby to rebuild his team and take ManU to heights after their tragedy... but for Torino... they never managed to reach the heights after theirs. 

• Praise 1

My portugese colleague was telling me abt this plane crash during lunch. Apparently the plane ran out of fuel, thats why it crashed. And there are no burnt marks in the crash site, pointing to no fuel.

Very sad. Entire football team wipe out.

• Praise 1

My portugese colleague was telling me abt this plane crash during lunch. Apparently the plane ran out of fuel, thats why it crashed. And there are no burnt marks in the crash site, pointing to no fuel.

Yeah, one of the surviving crew member also mentioned this (allegedly). Another aviation expert also pointed to the short haul capability of this plane.

If so, is really "ai wan". To think it still flew Messi & Co recently!!!

RIP ..... its the time that the football world should come together to mourn the deceased ...

They have in their own way... even during the EFL cup yesterday... and Wembley was lit green to honour the club.

This tragedy reminds me of another news I read a few days back... football around the world is a rich sport... yet like life, the rewards are heavily skewed.

This may not be the appropriate thread for it... but it begs the question... yes, the loss of life is tragic. Yes, many clubs volunteer players and have offered to walkover to tidy over Chapecoense during this time of distress... then how come, so many players are living hand to mouth... with bad contracts and no pay in some of the lesser developed countries and leagues? FIFA needs to flex it's muscle in these countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/28/fifpro-low-salaries-withheld-payments-threats-footballers

“Last season I played 12 months at two clubs, and I was not paid for nine months,” said an anonymous player from Romania, where 74% of players reported delays. “The first club said they did not have any money. In January I got an offer to go to another club. The club I was playing for said I could only go if I gave up on my three months of unpaid wages. I agreed. I wanted to play.

“The second club dissolved after six months and I did not receive any money. My parents paid for my boots, my food and more. They also had to take care of themselves and my twin brother and sister.”
  • Praise 3

What is it with football teams in South America?

Last time one plane crash in the snowy mountains

and the players had to eat each other.

That wan i think is Argentina rugby team....

Glenn Ong's yesterdays joke about the things you wont want to hear in an airplane came true.
  • Praise 1

That wan i think is Argentina rugby team....

I am not an expert on rugby but I heard

its a game played by men with funny shaped balls.

Bunch of cannibals.

I saw the documentary......they had to eat the dead and some didnt want to! Cant imagine eating a dead friend or an enemy! The thing was there was a highway within sight of the crash spot....just that the road was covered in snow and nobody uses it since it was winter.

I am not an expert on rugby but I heard

its a game played by men with funny shaped balls.

Well.....its a dream come true sports for gays! Okay back to topic.

I saw the documentary......they had to eat the dead and some didnt want to! Cant imagine eating a dead friend or an enemy! The thing was there was a highway within sight of the crash spot....just that the road was covered in snow and nobody uses it since it was winter.

Well.....its a dream come true sports for gays! Okay back to topic.

Better to eat a friend take a piece of a loved one with you wherever you go.  [thumbsup]

Edited by Jamesc