COE Bidding – 1st Round of December 2016

Carbon82

Agreed. Heard somebody said b4. UBER can earn for living. SHIT also can eat. Lol.

Common sense tell you it is not so simple, otherwise it is damn stupid to be a cap driver. If you are not for money and just doing this for fun and extra income, that is fine. With car at this value, it just needs time to prove it cannot work.

This is what I heard from 1 horse mouth lor.

The app also monitor your driving habit lor and will send you a message to go online self learning.  My neighbour kenna the turning corner too fast notice.

According to him, the first customer is very important one.  If go to ulu place .... problem.

Then you got one group of people that TAKE TAXI EVERYDAY to work lor.  They are very punctual one, so he go near by and WAIT.

Kind of surprise that there is this group of people - Take Taxi EVERYDAY. Why not BUY A CAR ?

Really so bad?Read from uber forum seems like no so bad leh?
Some said income nevermind at least got car to drive etc.
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/uber-grabcar-driver-lip-lai-part-2-a-5486688-243.html

Twincharged

The app also monitor your driving habit lor and will send you a message to go online self learning.  My neighbour kenna the turning corner too fast notice.

According to him, the first customer is very important one.  If go to ulu place .... problem.

Then you got one group of people that TAKE TAXI EVERYDAY to work lor.  They are very punctual one, so he go near by and WAIT.

Kind of surprise that there is this group of people - Take Taxi EVERYDAY. Why not BUY A CAR ?

Cuz it is still cheaper to take a taxi everyday than to drive.

If you take the average depreciation of a B&B car which is around 8000 a year, that means it costs around $20 a day. That is before all the other costs like road tax, maintenance, insurance, petrol and parking. Add in the rest and it should be enough to cover the cost of taking a taxi everyday.

Edited by Nzy

I got friends taking 5 years and 10 years renewal.

The 5 years reasons they give :

a) Cost - Lowest

b) By 15 years, many parts will start falling apart. Eg. Aircon coil, about every 6 years.

c) Availability of Spare Part will be a problem lor

Like my 9th year Carens, windscreen change need to wait lor ...... Luckily, Income said, many of there windscreen claim contractors have windscreen polish & repair service for $50.  Small glass got chip off, wiper mark etc ... all can solve, no need to replace the whole thing lor....

Renewals for 5 years involve about COE costs in the region of 25k or so. And if the driver scrimps on car care, does only oil changes, changes one set of tires during this five years, and very little else, their outlay can be limited to under 40k, sans petrol costs.

Now compare that to a new car, say a Mits Attrage, which is in the region of 40k, minus maintenance costs oil change, petrol etc.

Maybe it's close in cost. But the car the current owner drives could be a Honda FD, which is faster, bigger and probably pretty reliable if the gearbox holds. So the owner may feel it's a better deal.

YMMV of course, but the high COE right now doesn't entice a buyer on a budget to stretch to a big loan. 

BTW, I am not an advocate of doing such minimal service work - I go to Kah twice a year and do my service, even if I only did <10k in six months.

Cuz it is still cheaper to take a taxi everyday than to drive.

If you take the average depreciation of a B&B car which is around 8000 a year, that means it costs around $20 a day. That is before all the other costs like road tax, maintenance, insurance, petrol and parking. Add in the rest and it should be enough to cover the cost of taking a taxi everydayo

Depends on the distance, timing and how often you take taxi, not necessary is cheap. If you take taxi during peak hours from west to town, 2 times per day and for 22 days, total fare paid for both times are $55, you already need to fork out around $1200, not say very cheap also. Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

The figures may indicate a cab is potentially cheaper.

But driving isn't just about a point A to point B issue.

It's also about the freedom. I change my mind, I can double back, grab something, or take a detour, pick up a friend, and stop by Macs etc. 

You can too, but you won't in a cab, knowing the cost of the detour.

There is also the added element of the pleasure of driving, and that's why we have so many different types of cars - even within the same class or price range, different people look for different things, because there is a passion in it. 

Even if you buy a B&B car as some call it, they will pimp it up with go slower bits, lights and many other things that drain the batteries, because it gives them enjoyment to no end.

That's something riding in a cab will never do. A cab is functional, but whenever I take my car onto an open road, or drive it in M'sia, there's a joy in giving it some gas (especially since it's a whole lot cheaper to do so there.. )

These are the intangible elements that a car gives. 

Of course if one has difficulty paying for daily needs, we won't be talking about that, but hey, anyone in this forum obviously doesn't fall into that category. 

• Praise 1

My thought have been to give up car, I will go for Bus and MRT lor.  It is actually quite convenience lor.

My driving habit to work have been random lor, depend on the traffic light.  I will detour to avoid jam lor.

If I happened to stop by a nice place I go breakfast lor.

There was a time when I have to take Bus MRT for 3 weeks lor, the longest ever.  My daily route is random lor, sometime EW line, or Circle Line and even Express Bus.

I discovered that there is a Express Bus to City leh, near my home. 2 timing - 7am and 7.20am ONLY.  One day 2 schedule only, route a few more stop and ZOOM to City lor ..... awesome.

It is Car or Bus/MRT, no Taxi leh ....... $40 X 22 X 12 ..... 10K leh PER YEAR. Compare with $5~7 X 22 X 12 lor ...

As local economy continues to be negatively impacted by external factors, Coe will take a beating sooner or later.

Cat A down by 2k (48k) next bid.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/singapores-growth-in-2017-set-to-mirror-2016s-as-globalisation-backlash

Just many months back almost everyone have been saying COE would not come down, some even said 50k would be the new norm, some even predicting coe will go back to 70k 80k level. But interesting enough, i am not seeing the aame amount of people advocating COE will go up, in fact most people responded here feel that COE will come down.

Will it turn out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The app also monitor your driving habit lor and will send you a message to go online self learning. My neighbour kenna the turning corner too fast notice.

According to him, the first customer is very important one. If go to ulu place .... problem.

Then you got one group of people that TAKE TAXI EVERYDAY to work lor. They are very punctual one, so he go near by and WAIT.

Yes,there is a group of people that take taxi to work everyday.One of my friend is doing this.

I got friends taking 5 years and 10 years renewal.

The 5 years reasons they give :

a) Cost - Lowest

b) By 15 years, many parts will start falling apart. Eg. Aircon coil, about every 6 years.

c) Availability of Spare Part will be a problem lor

Like my 9th year Carens, windscreen change need to wait lor ...... Luckily, Income said, many of there windscreen claim contractors have windscreen polish & repair service for $50. Small glass got chip off, wiper mark etc ... all can solve, no need to replace the whole thing lor....

Bro,I also just change windscreen not long ago but my insurance is AIG.Just report to them,next day can go tuff kote to change.3hrs complete include solar film cos AIG cover car accessories and no need to pay single cents cos zero excess.Mine also Carens.Change your insurance company.

As local economy continues to be negatively impacted by external factors, Coe will take a beating sooner or later.

Cat A down by 2k (48k) next bid.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/singapores-growth-in-2017-set-to-mirror-2016s-as-globalisation-backlash

Downtrend is clear to most.. but the question is when will it bottom out? I think it's safe to assume mid 40s.

Bro,I also just change windscreen not long ago but my insurance is AIG.Just report to them,next day can go tuff kote to change.3hrs complete include solar film cos AIG cover car accessories and no need to pay single cents cos zero excess.Mine also Carens.Change your insurance company.

Sounds good.

Have you compared the cost of your insurance over say 10 years with a cheaper insurance that doesn't give all the bells and whistles.

Maybe you save on the cheaper insurance even though you have to pay yourself for the renewal of car accessories.

Sounds good.

Have you compared the cost of your insurance over say 10 years with a cheaper insurance that doesn't give all the bells and whistles.

Maybe you save on the cheaper insurance even though you have to pay yourself for the renewal of car accessories.

Mine is $758 with 50% ncd,don't know whether cheap anot?
  • Praise 1

Didn't we see cat A at $43K and cat B at $38K in 2016? How many here had gotten at those levels? Only aware of Fruit Tart waiting for $10K ..... anyone more .. or $20K ?post-170514-0-28506700-1480822186_thumb.png

post-170514-0-94247500-1480822363_thumb.png

↡ Advertisement