• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic | 10 praises

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Hummer
  • Premium member
    Hummer
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

So I had a wheel alignment issue where the car was drifting to the left. Decided to send it in for wheel alignment and all was well after that.

But noticed a new issue where I was travelling at speeds of about 95 to 100kmh where the steering wheel was vibrating rather strongly. It starts to vibrate at speeds from about 80 onwards. Vibration is most strongly felt at about 100kmh where I can see my watch vibrating.

Proceeded to do high speed wheel balancing where all 4 wheels/tires were done but seems like no difference.

Any idea what else is wrong?

Didn't get any vibration before wheel alignment.

Posted Yesterday, 01:49 PM

ahcang
  • ahcang
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Check your tires? I used to have similar issue but the moment I change to a set of new tyres all is well.

Posted Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    4th Gear
    Author Image

So I had a wheel alignment issue where the car was drifting to the left. Decided to send it in for wheel alignment and all was well after that.

But noticed a new issue where I was travelling at speeds of about 95 to 100kmh where the steering wheel was vibrating rather strongly. It starts to vibrate at speeds from about 80 onwards. Vibration is most strongly felt at about 100kmh where I can see my watch vibrating.

Proceeded to do high speed wheel balancing where all 4 wheels/tires were done but seems like no difference.

you can swap the two rear wheels(with rims) to the front , if the problem goes away, it is likely one of the front tyres that you have moved to the back. 

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Supercharged
    Author Image

vibration is usually a tire problem. try Ct3833 method.

if swapping the tires doesn't help, it could be a bearing problem.

that one is major repair if it is. hope it is not.

do update if you manage to find the cause of the vibration. good opportunity to learn for everyone.

Posted Yesterday, 03:11 PM

Hummer
  • Premium member
    Hummer
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I just wanted to add during the wheel alignment process, the mech swapped my front wheels L-R and R-L as there was uneven wear/tear due to alignment issues. This was when the vibration started. My front tires are new, having run for about 7,000km only.

Rear tires are old, probably left 40% thread and also uneven wear tear.

Thinking if I move the back to front and front to back will resolve the issue.

Replacing rear tire is an option but I am not sure it will resolve or I want to try that as it is expensive and not due yet.

Posted Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

U need to balance ur wheels.

If u are on low profile tires and frequent Bolehland,

Ur wheels may be warped.

Basic wheel balancing usually solves this prob.

"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Hummer
  • Premium member
    Hummer
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

U need to balance ur wheels.

If u are on low profile tires and frequent Bolehland,

Ur wheels may be warped.

Basic wheel balancing usually solves this prob.

Already did high speed wheel balancing.

Like I mentioned, it was OK before I did wheel alignment.

Tires definitely not low profile. 235/55/19

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Aaronlkl
  • Premium member
    Aaronlkl
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Already did high speed wheel balancing.

Like I mentioned, it was OK before I did wheel alignment.

Tires definitely not low profile. 235/55/19

Did u rotate tyres?

"If in doubt, Flat out!"

Posted Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    6th Gear
    Author Image

For me whenever I've had a wheel alignment (car pulling slightly one way or another ) or a wheel balancing ( vibration felt through steering wheel ) issue I will have the wheels aligned and balanced at the same time.

Alignment and balancing aren't something which requires regular work unless hit kerb or skid.

There is no law without enforcement

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Luckcent
  • Premium member
    Luckcent
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I was told to put new tyres at the back and not in the front, if changing only 2 tyres.

==================================================

Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying

==================================================

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I was told to put new tyres at the back and not in the front, if changing only 2 tyres.

Funny.

Wouldn't you want new tyres at the place where they'd have most effect, steering and braking.

There is no law without enforcement

Posted Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Jq1988
  • Premium member
    Jq1988
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

speed balancing is a waste of time and money...(Was experiencing same situation long time ago, only to discover the tyre shop only care for profit...not cheap too. Last resolve, tyre tak bagus, rim was not balanced properly) so please check your tyre and rims...not to forget to check your driving rod and bearing as well.

Edited by Jq1988, Yesterday, 04:26 PM.

Hamburger praised this
Japanese girl is awesome!

Posted Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Jtb
  • Premium member
    Jtb
    4th Gear
    Author Image

speed balancing is a waste of time and money...(Was experiencing same situation long time ago, only to discover the tyre shop only care for profit...not cheap too. Last resolve, tyre tak bagus, rim was not balanced properly) so please check your tyre and rims...not to forget to check your driving rod and bearing as well.

yes everybody knows how to replace tires and not everybody knows how to align and not everybody know tires need to be aligned after the change!

Tires are the most important part on any vehicle especially rainy days.

Edited by Jtb, Yesterday, 05:17 PM.

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Nuahster1
  • Nuahster1
    1st Gear
    Author Image

sharing my similar experience, for my case it was a hub centric ring or rim cone, can't exactly remember which as it was long ago, but it fell/came out from one rim when they were taken off for rotation & balancing,

The person/worker handling the wheel didn't notice or probably forgot to put it back when mounting the wheel. the result was heavy vibration felt in steering only at high speed above 90-100km/h.

spend $$ going for high speed balancing and realignment but didn't solve the issue, eventually when take off wheels to  rebalance, realised the missing piece in the wheel, replaced it and problem solved (at least in my case).

Apple-Tree praised this

Posted Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Apple-Tree
  • Premium member
    Apple-Tree
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Oh .... I know.

You need to do front wheel balancing lor.

Or tyres swollen lor.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: audi, audisteering wheel, vibrate and 6 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users