Steering wheel vibrating at 90kmh after wheel alignment

Hummer

sharing my similar experience, for my case it was a hub centric ring or rim cone, can't exactly remember which as it was long ago, but it fell/came out from one rim when they were taken off for rotation & balancing,

The person/worker handling the wheel didn't notice or probably forgot to put it back when mounting the wheel. the result was heavy vibration felt in steering only at high speed above 90-100km/h.

spend $$ going for high speed balancing and realignment but didn't solve the issue, eventually when take off wheels to  rebalance, realised the missing piece in the wheel, replaced it and problem solved (at least in my case).

Are you using after market rims? Is the centre bore size the same

↡ Advertisement

Are you using after market rims? Is the centre bore size the same

yes i'm using aftermarket rims with centre bore size slightly bigger than stock rims, need hub centric ring for a proper and flush fit.

If using stock rim shouldn't face the problem. After market is Super high risk, best to use those without centre ring...find the fit one

got hit anything under carriage? I don't think is what centre ring or what. Cause when before alignment, there isn't any vibration. Need to start to diagnose from the time after alignment. After alignment, what other things did you do? You took out the wheel to swap left right? Swapping time got do balancing? If not, then is not the ring. Unless the ring fall off during swapping. If you ever hit anything under carriage, your drive shaft or tie rod probably bent and cause vibration issue.

Already did high speed wheel balancing.

Like I mentioned, it was OK before I did wheel alignment.

Tires definitely not low profile. 235/55/19

Shouldn't have done the alignment.

The grease monkey messed it up.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

got hit anything under carriage? I don't think is what centre ring or what. Cause when before alignment, there isn't any vibration. Need to start to diagnose from the time after alignment. After alignment, what other things did you do? You took out the wheel to swap left right? Swapping time got do balancing? If not, then is not the ring. Unless the ring fall off during swapping. If you ever hit anything under carriage, your drive shaft or tie rod probably bent and cause vibration issue.

Boss, good to see you again for your advice.

1) Nope, never hit anything under carriage. besides my ride is SUV

2) During alignment, only swapped front wheels/tires L-R. I witnessed the swap, nothing dropped out. Besides, doubt there is ring coz mine is stock rim.

3) No leh, never hit anything.

The mech did tell me my rear was very bad and he had to make quite a bit of adjustments to correct the alignment. The rear tires are also worn out with uneven wear tear. Not sure if after alignment since everything is sui sui, the uneven tire can cause the vibration.

Also, planning to change out the rear tires in the next 1 to 2 weeks. 

Shouldn't have done the alignment.

The grease monkey messed it up.

:D

I agree. Should not have done the alignment at all.

I self pwned.

Boss, good to see you again for your advice.

1) Nope, never hit anything under carriage. besides my ride is SUV

2) During alignment, only swapped front wheels/tires L-R. I witnessed the swap, nothing dropped out. Besides, doubt there is ring coz mine is stock rim.

3) No leh, never hit anything.

The mech did tell me my rear was very bad and he had to make quite a bit of adjustments to correct the alignment. The rear tires are also worn out with uneven wear tear. Not sure if after alignment since everything is sui sui, the uneven tire can cause the vibration.

Also, planning to change out the rear tires in the next 1 to 2 weeks. 

I agree. Should not have done the alignment at all.

I self pwned.

ok... In this case, check this few things.

1) Shock Absorber(Check if it is seized)

2) Check your drive shaft(See if it is bent or out of shape).

3) Check wheel balancing weight, see if any drop out.

Most likely is wheel balancing not done right. Drive shaft shouldn't bent for no reason unless hit something.

Update us when you finally resolve it so that we can have some lesson learn?

ok... In this case, check this few things.

1) Shock Absorber(Check if it is seized)

2) Check your drive shaft(See if it is bent or out of shape).

3) Check wheel balancing weight, see if any drop out.

Most likely is wheel balancing not done right. Drive shaft shouldn't bent for no reason unless hit something.

Update us when you finally resolve it so that we can have some lesson learn?

Other than what being mentioned by Passion above, you also mentioned about bad wear on rear wheels, this is less common, or did you swap the front wheel to the rear before?

Next, if you have plan to change your rear tyres soon, the best isolation approach would be to put the new set of tyres on the front first for a week or two, that would be the best way to rule out if your existing front tyres are really the cause of the vibration.  

And by the way, is your car a hummer? if so, then  the whole problem determination approach may not be the same

Edited by Ct3833

Other than what being mentioned by Passion above, you also mentioned about bad wear on rear wheels, this is less common, or did you swap the front wheel to the rear before?

Next, if you have plan to change your rear tyres soon, the best isolation approach would be to put the new set of tyres on the front first for a week or two, that would be the best way to rule out if your existing front tyres are really the cause of the vibration.  

And by the way, is your car a hummer? if so, then  the whole problem determination approach may not be the same

I bought my ride used 6mths ago.

FOund the front tires were badly worn, so managed to get the dealer to install new ones for me. DIdn't managed to get him to replace the rear.

Actually I suspect it is the rear tires causing the vibration as they have uneven wear tear. Suspect the previous owner kerbed before.

I'll stick the new ones in the rear first and see how. If cannot, then i will rotate them to the front.

Not hummer la.....but it's a quattro Q5 :)

I bought my ride used 6mths ago.

FOund the front tires were badly worn, so managed to get the dealer to install new ones for me. DIdn't managed to get him to replace the rear.

Actually I suspect it is the rear tires causing the vibration as they have uneven wear tear. Suspect the previous owner kerbed before.

I'll stick the new ones in the rear first and see how. If cannot, then i will rotate them to the front.

Not hummer la.....but it's a quattro Q5 :)

oh.. Q5. Quattro means 4 wheel drive. That means not just what I have mentioned. You probably have to check shaft driving the rear wheel. Rear wheel doesn't link to steering wheel, so it shouldn't vibrate the steering wheel. Diagnosis

So I had a wheel alignment issue where the car was drifting to the left. Decided to send it in for wheel alignment and all was well after that.

But noticed a new issue where I was travelling at speeds of about 95 to 100kmh where the steering wheel was vibrating rather strongly. It starts to vibrate at speeds from about 80 onwards. Vibration is most strongly felt at about 100kmh where I can see my watch vibrating.

Proceeded to do high speed wheel balancing where all 4 wheels/tires were done but seems like no difference.

Any idea what else is wrong?

Didn't get any vibration before wheel alignment.

Dear TS, I also have similar problem before it happened to me some years back...

Mine vibrate not only the steering, but also the rear mirror when driving high speed.... also noisy...

Tried wheel alignment...  changed the tires...also put the hub ring... 

Vibration remained...

one day drive around Kent Ridge bendy road... i found that the vibration happened only to certain side... my right side

Head down to workshop... drive around with mechanic to show the problem... agreed on the right side... then try luck ask him to dismantle the whole rear wheel hub first... voila....

The inner and outer bearings were damaged and parts were all over the place...meaning I have been driving around without bearing support... then asked him to check if having other parts damage... lucky no....

Changed news set of bearing... test drive... wow... quiet and smooth... 

my 2 cents experience... 

Update for everyone who chipped in to my issue:

Replaced my 2 rear tires with new ones, and placed them in front.

Moved the front 9000km old tires to the rear.

The shop did high speed balancing for all 4 wheels. Went to see the worker balance the wheels and saw him sticking the metal plates all over the 4 wheels. I am guessing the wheel/rim is pretty off balance since he has to do that? I estimate he stuck at least 10 to 15 mini square metal plates per wheel.

After that, drove off and could immediately feel from steering wheel it felt much better. Pulled to 90, 100, 110kmh. There was a marked improvement, vibration reduced by quite a lot. Still have a little bit but I think I'll let it slide for now.

Conclusion: Looks like a combination of the uneven wear tear on the rear tires and another round of balancing did the fix.

thank you everyone!

The shop did high speed balancing for all 4 wheels. Went to see the worker balance the wheels and saw him sticking the metal plates all over the 4 wheels. I am guessing the wheel/rim is pretty off balance since he has to do that? I estimate he stuck at least 10 to 15 mini square metal plates per wheel.

After that, drove off and could immediately feel from steering wheel it felt much better. Pulled to 90, 100, 110kmh. There was a marked improvement, vibration reduced by quite a lot. Still have a little bit but I think I'll let it slide for now.

Conclusion: Looks like a combination of the uneven wear tear on the rear tires and another round of balancing did the fix.

thank you everyone!

Good to hear that. Looks like is balancing issue. The previous tyre shop anyhow do balancing for you.

thank you everyone!

because of your  relatively  large rim and thick tyre wall, the wheels  of your car are big, to place 10 to 15 counter weights is not uncommon.

Good to know you have somewhat resolved your problem. It looks like your previous front wheels have been out of round loop or not fully in concentric manner due to the poor alignment previously. that means they are not fully rounded(or  one of the two). this is not something can be correct by counter weight.  But now the wheels are at the rear, you wont feel it any more. But do listen out if there is any oscillating  howling noise.

you mentioned you still feel a little bit of vibration, if this effect prolonged, you may want to send the car for a check, shock, ball join, alignment again, bearing etc. But hope all will be well after a while.  

• Praise 1

because of your  relatively  large rim and thick tyre wall, the wheels  of your car are big, to place 10 to 15 counter weights is not uncommon.

Good to know you have somewhat resolved your problem. It looks like your previous front wheels have been out of round loop or not fully in concentric manner due to the poor alignment previously. that means they are not fully rounded(or  one of the two). this is not something can be correct by counter weight.  But now the wheels are at the rear, you wont feel it any more. But do listen out if there is any oscillating  howling noise.

you mentioned you still feel a little bit of vibration, if this effect prolonged, you may want to send the car for a check, shock, ball join, alignment again, bearing etc. But hope all will be well after a while.  

Thank you for your sound advice.

Planning to change out the rims to something easier to wash in the next few months. Current stock 19s are 10 spokes - PITA to wash!!! So let's see if changing eradicates the problem completely.

Discovered my front control arm bushings are cracked, hardened and out of center.

Replaced all 10 bushings and all vibration gone. Drives like a new car!

Discovered my front control arm bushings are cracked, hardened and out of center.

Replaced all 10 bushings and all vibration gone. Drives like a new car!

when u get an used car, problems will these will surface.  

next thing u need to watch out is the wheel bearing, when u get to hear alot of road noise and mini vibrations. 

↡ Advertisement