Movies to look out for in 2017

therock

(edited)

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/dunkirk-storms-to-the-top-of-north-american-box-office-luc-bessonsvalerian

Not surprised at Valerian's poor showing... too arty farty ... 

A bit similar to Jupiter Ascending..

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Big-budget World War II epic Dunkirk stormed to the top of the North American box office in its opening weekend on the strength of stellar reviews and a sterling big screen debut by pop star Harry Styles, industry estimates showed Sunday (July 23).

The film directed by Briton Christopher Nolan, which took in an estimated US$50.5 million ($1.36 million) in the United States and Canada, has been hailed by many critics as a masterpiece.

It stars One Direction singer Styles in the retelling of the heroic evacuation in 1940 of hundreds of thousands of Allied troops from a beach in northern France under constant German bombardment.

Raunchy comedy Girls Trip starring Queen Latifah and Will Smith's better half Jada Pinkett Smith, debuted in second place with US$30.4 million in tickets sold.

Third place went to Spider-Man: Homecoming, which pulled in US$22 million in its third week of release. Overall, it has raked in more than $250 million in North America.

Last week's box office leader, War For the Planet of the Apes - the latest installation in the saga of intelligent primates' battle against an evil human dictator - raked in US$20.4 million in its second week for fourth place.

Rounding out the top five was another debut, Luc Besson's US$180 million space fantasy Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. The EuropaCorp-financed film starring Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne, said to be the most expensive independent film ever made, grossed just over US$17 million.

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Related to the movie, Baby Driver, and it's freaking awesome.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - Baby Driver - GTA 5 Short Film

I have tried watching China made movies....all I can say most are cringe worthy. Comedies are even worse. They copy a lot of the Stephen Chow style which by now it's very outdated. Sad to say their movies are only good for China audience.

You look at what wolf warrior you know you will be watching Rambo (China ripoff). Wolves hunt in packs. They don't do solo. So even the title isn't suitable. They just want to sound macho. All brawn, no brain.

Hmmm... 4B RMB? Hmmm... pass....!

The Trailer looks more like a Hindi action movie with cliche ang mo actors playing the bad guys & a solo chinese hero and chinese villian leading the africans (with red Beats earphone!)... [laugh] 

More for internal consumption and chest beating to show the Chinese Military Lumbar 1! ^_^  

watched Annabelle last week, story not as good as The Conjuring but scary enough for me, my wife eyes open big big throughout the movie and dun feel frightened at all   <_<  <_<

I have tried watching China made movies....all I can say most are cringe worthy. Comedies are even worse. They copy a lot of the Stephen Chow style which by now it's very outdated. Sad to say their movies are only good for China audience.

You look at what wolf warrior you know you will be watching Rambo (China ripoff). Wolves hunt in packs. They don't do solo. So even the title isn't suitable. They just want to sound macho. All brawn, no brain.

I agree with you.  I 'watched' several china made movies recently by chance, and few of them were screened in our theatres also, like the monkey king , and another one mon mon monster.  Both are serious crap shows which even if free, one shouldn't waste time watching also.  The story tries to be funny but is not funny but childish, and the effects are still too unreal.  Also, the acting is too exaggerated also.  This shows that (big) money cannot buy class.

watched Annabelle last week, story not as good as The Conjuring but scary enough for me, my wife eyes open big big throughout the movie and dun feel frightened at all   <_<  <_<

My Mrs also a horror movie fan, watch horror movie like watching comedy.  Heehee..

• Praise 1

I agree with you.  I 'watched' several china made movies recently by chance, and few of them were screened in our theatres also, like the monkey king , and another one mon mon monster.  Both are serious crap shows which even if free, one shouldn't waste time watching also.  The story tries to be funny but is not funny but childish, and the effects are still too unreal.  Also, the acting is too exaggerated also.  This shows that (big) money cannot buy class.

My Mrs also a horror movie fan, watch horror movie like watching comedy.  Heehee..

there are some good movies from china lah, most of them hardly shown here. i usually watch them online.

My wife scare of chinese ghost than ang mo ghost  [laugh]  [laugh]

China is flush with cash, so they want to spend, on big movies, throw in lots of CGI, but they aren't willing to spend the really big bucks to do it as well as the Western studios..

They also finance big production value movies that are produced in HKG, but use Chinese stars. 

Often these movies have large sets, big explosions but can't compare in plot to the older movies. Just try some of the Johnnie To movies from the 90s and early 2000s... eg PTU or Mission..

Hmmm... 4B RMB? Hmmm... pass....!

The Trailer looks more like a Hindi action movie with cliche ang mo actors playing the bad guys & a solo chinese hero and chinese villian leading the africans (with red Beats earphone!)... [laugh]

More for internal consumption and chest beating to show the Chinese Military Lumbar 1! ^_^

Give me "smelly balls" movies anytime....

Smelly Balls = Chow Lam Par=Chow Yun Fatt

• Praise 10

Local actor Ix Shen was executive director of Chinese blockbuster Wolf Warrior II
PUBLISHED AUG 14, 2017, 7:02 PM
Boon Chan Media Correspondent 

img_0863.jpg?itok=SjMCaMkl
SINGAPORE - Action flick Wolf Warrior II, the all-time top-grossing film in China with 4.5 billion yuan (S$919 million) earned thus far, has some Singaporean involvement - former Channel 8 actor Ix Shen, 46, was its executive director.

"My job was to present whatever you see on screen. If the car chase in this scene called for a jeep to be speeding down an alley with bullets flying around and two other vehicles chasing, my job was to execute all that," he told The Straits Times over the phone from Phuket, where he was taking a vacation.

The position of executive director, which he said is unique to the Chinese movie industry, is a cross between associate producer and assistant director.

Among his responsibilities was yelling "Action" and "Cut", which proved to be quite a challenge when they were shooting underwater. "There's no way I could give hand signals and speech was inaudible. I had to devise a way of using an aluminium pipe and hammer so I could do two clanks for 'action' and three for 'cut'."

Shen, the male champion of talent hunt Star Search 1995, ventured to China in 2009 to further his career and acted in some films and television series.

He said that Wu Jing, the star, writer and director of Wolf Warrior II, was looking for someone who could communicate in English, Mandarin and Cantonese as the cast was mainly from China, the crew included Africans and Europeans and one of the stunt directors was from Hong Kong.

Shen met the criteria but he was quick to emphasise: "Just because a fellow Singaporean can understand your English doesn't mean that a native English speaker can understand your English. Same goes for Mandarin."

The success of Wolf Warrior II has meant that offers have started coming in for him. Projects which have been talked about include a Wolf Warrior sequel, for which he helped with the trailer shot in Iceland. Hollywood has also approached Wu, who has kept Shen in the loop about his plans.

"We're all taking our vacation right now and will probably sit down for a meeting after," said Shen, who added that he intends to remain in China for the time being. "This is where the industry is really booming. If you're in the movie business, if you're not in Hollywood and you're not in Bollywood, you have to be in Beijing."

In Singapore alone, Wolf Warrior II has grossed more than $1 million since its release on July 28.

It is no wonder Shen said: "Everyone (involved with the movie) is feeling on top of the moon right now."

• Praise 2

Does it mean that he is the sai kang warrior?

whatever post, base on the box office, bonus must be good, probably one year no need to work.
  • Praise 1

Ix was my PTI during my NS stint..

Nice n friendly guy..

No airs n very helpful with those unfit soldiers..

↡ Advertisement