New Kia Niro Hybrid

Aukang

Although I do find the HU small. The switches and buttons on our version is totally different to a HU with navigation. Besides in UK and US, I think they provide free Nav database updating for a certain period. May not be feasible to incorporate navigation in HU or change new HU. I am not sure. Better to stick to your cellphone for GPS, I think. Yes, my wife love the ventilated seats.

Cheers. 

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

So far saw a handful of niro on the road and mostly white color. Is yrs also white?

Mine is metal stream. One day must see yr 18" rims and feel the "fierce look"

Cheers!!

My Color is Gravity Blue. Yes, it would be good to have more NIro drivers joining the forum to chat about the car. The good , the not so good and anything else. A lot we could learn from each other. I have not seen any Niro on the road though.

Hi,

I based my selection on these photos from the internet and the small section of sample car color in the showroom. It is pretty accurate. but depending on the lighting conditions it can look quite different.post-187656-0-19175200-1496910156.jpgpost-187656-0-73074100-1496910170.jpgpost-187656-0-91141600-1496910187.jpg

Cheers

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Yes under different lightings can have different results. The Gravity Blue display car at Motor show looks much brighter than in CnC showroom.

Edited by GnNiro

Turbocharged

Hi,

Just collected Niro on the 2nd. Welcome any questions about the Singapore Niro, as I get to know the car better. This is my first hybrid and I am just a lay-driver. So, not too technical, just what a normal driver would like to know. Cheers, have a nice weekend. 

Thank you for offering to share your experiences. Didn't hear of this model till today. Would it be OK to share how much you paid and discount?

How is the sound proofing from the engine and road noise? Thank you.

Hi Victor68,

I only saw the Niro in an advert on TV in March. Aesthetically, the first impression was it looks nice. Decided to research into it and the rest is history. Since launch the price has fluctuated between 110,999 to 117, 999. The price is after the CEV rebate, trade in car rebate and in house finance rebate. I  bought it at 114,999. Today , I saw the pricing is even lower due to the lower COE. 113,999 plus further discount. To have a detail pricing you can get it from sgcarmart. you can get the actual price list from the site.

This is my first Korean car and first hybrid. I am surprised by the good build quality, the main dash is soft plastic. The doors are pretty heavy just like a continental car. The cockpit and steering wheel controls very user friendly. With respect to noise, I would say that the insulation is pretty good. Of course when it starts with the electric motor, you don't even realised the car has started and once the normal aspirated engine kicks in, you can hear the hum of the engine, not too intrusive. In the cruise if you have the original 16 inch 205/60 tyres, I think the insulation is not too bad and the road noise is acceptable, of course that is subjective. By the way the Niro is designed as a hybrid only and its designer is Peter Schreyer who use to design for Audi. You can see a lot of similarity in the Day running lights, the Driver information cluster, voice actuation hands free bluetooth, for phone, radio and media. I see a lot of similarities to my previous audi.

It is a bit sluggish in normal drive mode when going uphill, but I really enjoy using the sports mode, when you need the extra acceleration. And after one week, I am getting about 19km/L. My wife and son are also enjoying the drive.

Cheers.

• Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

I totally agreed SE plays an impt role. But then, dun get turn off by that SE, find another 1 in showroom. I can recommend mine to you. I find him great in every aspect

I was keen in prius, almost confirmed 1 month back, when the SE says PI is cheapskate go buy, and they deserved to be burnt becos they are cheapskate. Totally turn off, and i walk away from BM.

Considered the niro becos SE is very attentive, and from sorento to carens, he has been updating me on promo and etc. He even remember when my car going to scrap, and know my priority is fuel saving. Such SE hard to come by now

Hi

Can share your SE contact? Keen in getting a Niro but the SE from C&C very unpro

Hi

Can share your SE contact? Keen in getting a Niro but the SE from C&C very unpro

What do you mean by unprofessional? Sounds serious...

Turbocharged

i went to test drive over last weekend. build quality is good with many good features. 

the seat slide back when you open the car door and the tilting side mirror when you reverse to park are 2 great features. 

power wise normal for car this size and it is very quiet. you dont feel the change over from battery to engine. $111k is indeed attractive. 

(edited)

Reading the comments here make potential buyers even more ....lost.

I was trying to look for "what is it like to drive"? Will the weight of the batteries make it drive like a sampan or move off like it's a heavyweight? Or is the charging system as competent as the cockroach car...I mean prius. But nobody mentioned them.

I find that ppl dunno what to look for in a hybrid after a test drive. Instead they talk about things that are irrelevant to me. Things that are not important when looking for a hybrid family car.

So I end up looking for a review which is more comprehensive and the host talk about things that are relevant when looking for a hybrid family car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf18-tJrThc

So the charging system is not on par with a prius especially on the highway and not as good regenerative braking. The drive is average but luggage space seems adequate. But hybrid cars in Singapore are more expensive to buy becoz the price covers the battery warranty as well. I wonder what's the warranty of the charging system. It becomes expensive to maintain when warranty expires.

Do take note that the battery pack is placed directly underneath the rear passenger seats. Anyone comprain about heat or some warmth coming from the seats? Kinda unsafe place to put the batteries imo.

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged

my personal opinion is batteries operated cars are not ready yet for our climate and road condition because of air con. if you dont need air con, thrn different story. 

so, next best is hybrid but be prepared to change battery. although AD gives warranty, you have already paid for when you buy. 

ride is very normal but quiet as mentioned in my earlier post. for. a car that size and a Kia, hybrid helps to lower fc which is a plus. also no need for that stupid start/stop feature. other than that, nothing much about the hybrid to talk leh. 

(edited)

I was trying to look for "what is it like to drive"? Will the weight of the batteries make it drive like a sampan or move off like it's a heavyweight? Or is the charging system as competent as the cockroach car...I mean prius. But nobody mentioned them.

I find that ppl dunno what to look for in a hybrid after a test drive. Instead they talk about things that are irrelevant to me. Things that are not important when looking for a hybrid family car.

So I end up looking for a review which is more comprehensive and the host talk about things that are relevant when looking for a hybrid family car.

So the charging system is not on par with a prius especially on the highway and not as good regenerative braking. The drive is average but luggage space seems adequate. But hybrid cars in Singapore are more expensive to buy becoz the price covers the battery warranty as well. I wonder what's the warranty of the charging system. It becomes expensive to maintain when warranty expires.

Do take note that the battery pack is placed directly underneath the rear passenger seats. Anyone comprain about heat or some warmth coming from the seats? Kinda unsafe place to put the batteries imo.

My car okay ler...but it is different model. No heat generated. Better inform SA on it. I am feel the wind blowing to cool down the heat not affecting passengers. Zero feel..

Edited by Jq1988
  • Praise 1

I think maybe you don't know what you're looking for?

For hybrids, using lithium batteries is still rather new... the Prius uses nickel metal hydride batteries which are much heavier and develop memory issues. It's pretty well-documented that the Toyota hybrids require battery replacements about 5-7 years down the road. That is not covered under warranty after 5 years for Toyota. Hyundai offers 10 year warranty unlimited replacement on the battery (for the Ioniq) and Kia offers a one-time free replacement in 10 years (for the Niro). No one really knows how lithium batteries will turn out to be in 5-10 years' time.

Some advantages of using lithium over nickel metal hydride batteries:

1) They're significantly lighter for the same power output.

2) They're more energy dense.

3) The lithium polymer type can be conformed to any shape and hence saves space and can be placed anywhere.

4) They can produce much higher currents and voltages and hence can power much more powerful motors.

5) No memory issues.

Some disadvantages compared to nickel metal hydride batteries:

1) They're considerably still more expensive today to manufacture.

2) They are susceptible to catching fire when exposed to air or water (which happens in an accident). And hence it costs more to protect the batteries and isolate them properly. Note the fire incident with the Boeing Dreamliner 787 lithium batteries.

3) They are more susceptible to degradation by heat.

Some advantages that the Ioniq/Niro have over the Prius:

1) The batteries being shapeable are stored under the rear passenger seats. This leads to better cargo space and passenger space. Also the batteries are stored closer to the bottom of the vehicle so the handling and driving characteristics are improved.

2) A smaller battery is required. This translates to lighter weight for the same power.

Some manufacturing choices that Hyundai and Kia made:

1) Less effective regenerative braking. Makes the car more car-like and less like an electrical appliance. It's basically a trade off... most people don't like the way the Prius drives so they set out to make the Ioniq and Niro drive like a regular car which they succeeded.

2) They used a smaller Atkinson cycle engine, a 1.6 L versus 1.8 L in the Prius. It's a choice between a heavier engine block or a lighter one. In the end, I don't think there was much difference in the drive.

3) They chose to use a duck clutch versus a CVT. This is again for driveability. A CVT is really lousy for drivers... but it's advantage is better fuel consumption. Hence the Prius has better fuel consumption despite using a larger engine. It's smoother too. Also a lot of what defines a good hybrid has been cemented by the Prius so people compare the drive and expect it to be the same... there's no standard as to how a hybrid should drive... so Hyundai / Kia has decided to tread their own path...

4) They chose to make their hybrids as normal as possible unlike the Prius which looks like a spaceship and handles like one and the user interface is as spaceship like...

If you read through the Ioniq & Niro threads you'll gather much of this information as much as the written reviews all over the internet... hope this quick summary helps...

• Praise 2

(edited)

I think maybe you don't know what you're looking for?

For hybrids, using lithium batteries is still rather new... the Prius uses nickel metal hydride batteries which are much heavier and develop memory issues. It's pretty well-documented that the Toyota hybrids require battery replacements about 5-7 years down the road. That is not covered under warranty after 5 years for Toyota. Hyundai offers 10 year warranty unlimited replacement on the battery (for the Ioniq) and Kia offers a one-time free replacement in 10 years (for the Niro). No one really knows how lithium batteries will turn out to be in 5-10 years' time.

Some advantages of using lithium over nickel metal hydride batteries:

1) They're significantly lighter for the same power output.

2) They're more energy dense.

3) The lithium polymer type can be conformed to any shape and hence saves space and can be placed anywhere.

4) They can produce much higher currents and voltages and hence can power much more powerful motors.

5) No memory issues.

Some disadvantages compared to nickel metal hydride batteries:

1) They're considerably still more expensive today to manufacture.

2) They are susceptible to catching fire when exposed to air or water (which happens in an accident). And hence it costs more to protect the batteries and isolate them properly. Note the fire incident with the Boeing Dreamliner 787 lithium batteries.

3) They are more susceptible to degradation by heat.

Some advantages that the Ioniq/Niro have over the Prius:

1) The batteries being shapeable are stored under the rear passenger seats. This leads to better cargo space and passenger space. Also the batteries are stored closer to the bottom of the vehicle so the handling and driving characteristics are improved.

2) A smaller battery is required. This translates to lighter weight for the same power.

Some manufacturing choices that Hyundai and Kia made:

1) Less effective regenerative braking. Makes the car more car-like and less like an electrical appliance. It's basically a trade off... most people don't like the way the Prius drives so they set out to make the Ioniq and Niro drive like a regular car which they succeeded.

2) They used a smaller Atkinson cycle engine, a 1.6 L versus 1.8 L in the Prius. It's a choice between a heavier engine block or a lighter one. In the end, I don't think there was much difference in the drive.

3) They chose to use a duck clutch versus a CVT. This is again for driveability. A CVT is really lousy for drivers... but it's advantage is better fuel consumption. Hence the Prius has better fuel consumption despite using a larger engine. It's smoother too. Also a lot of what defines a good hybrid has been cemented by the Prius so people compare the drive and expect it to be the same... there's no standard as to how a hybrid should drive... so Hyundai / Kia has decided to tread their own path...

4) They chose to make their hybrids as normal as possible unlike the Prius which looks like a spaceship and handles like one and the user interface is as spaceship like...

If you read through the Ioniq & Niro threads you'll gather much of this information as much as the written reviews all over the internet... hope this quick summary helps...

Great sharing, does the theory apply to tesla? Just checking cos we really need to bring in more of these green vehicle to sg, either save environment or ease the sound and air pollution. Bagus la kamu!!!

Edited by Jq1988
↡ Advertisement