New Kia Niro Hybrid

Aukang

This makes the Niro a bit weird and feels like a cost cutting measure and also antiquated if I may say... in the old days, this so-called 'Tiptronic mode' popularised by Porsche was the way sports mode was engaged... that was at least a decade back.... in addition, interestingly enough the Ioniq doesn't do it this way... the Ioniq has a dedicated Drive Mode button...

For the Hyundai Ioniq:

WE can't compare ioniq EV with niro petrol Hybrid as their transmissions systems differ, hence their shifting modes are different.

I had test driven the petrol hybrid for both the ioniq and niro, and their trans shiftings are similar. (I finally decided on the niro for numerous other reasons.)

Read a few more reviews of the Niro and it does seem that shifting the gear selector into the manual mode does trigger a sports mode... apologies for the boo-boo... it's pretty different from what is the current industry standard... from what I am aware of...

Yes, shifting to sports mode while cruising ( in auto mode 6th gear) will have the driver feel a sudden urge in the engine power with the trans shifting down to 5th.

I usually only use the sport mode when merging into a main road or esp expressways and then shifting up to 6th when situation is safe/sane or when the shift arrow flashes to advise the shift.

Own a niro for 2 months odd and driven almost 5000km. 

My mileage is around 1000km for 38-40L of petrol. But my driving style quite relaxed. The on-board stats displayed i drove 85% eco and 15% normal. 

Anyway, I do hear a v faint "tok" sound when turning up MSCP, when the steering is turned to the right. I think I will get it rectified at the 10k km servicing. Felt that the steering is too light for my liking in normal mode. I like the firmness of the steering in S mode though. 

And the brakes feel v spongy, which attributes to why I drive in a relaxed manner, doesn't like the spongy feel when I have to brake harder. 

Apart from these two issues, I am loving all the gadgets that comes with it. 

• Praise 2

This makes the Niro a bit weird and feels like a cost cutting measure and also antiquated if I may say... in the old days, this so-called 'Tiptronic mode' popularised by Porsche was the way sports mode was engaged... that was at least a decade back.... in addition, interestingly enough the Ioniq doesn't do it this way... the Ioniq has a dedicated Drive Mode button...

For the Hyundai Ioniq:

You have practically complaints about the buttons being complicated, and then insists that the Niro has no sports mode in spite of NEVER actually been in one, and after people takes the effort to explain to you, called it weird, a cost cutting feature and antiquated even though you have not sit in the car and you probably still have no idea how it works. So which of the following situation would work for you and not result in any "complaints" ?

a) If Niro has no sports mode
b) If Niro sports mode consists of just changing from automatic to manual gear shift.
c) If Niro sports mode consists of complicated buttons where you have to view a screen to see the mode change.
d) If Niro sports mode allows a simple push to the right on the gear shift to switch to sports mode,  changes the engine mappings, throttle values, gear shift timings and the engine fuel mix (as well as using the electric engine) to boost power.. basically changing the engine parameters to produce more power AND concurrently allow ( but not require) the manual shifting of gear with a slight push forward or back. 
Edited by ancient
  • Praise 1

For me I am happy that they never give me so many button to press to go to sports mode. Just flip the lever and there you go . After the flip and pick up .push back the lever and your are gliding with breeze with no one beside. I enjoy it rather than some : please select mode . Press once for economy , twice for normal and 3 times for sports mode. Opps btw press 4 times for sports sharp. (Select sports) sports mode selected , press once to confirm , twice to cancel. sports mode selected , standby for sports mode activation. 5....4...3...-2...-1 sports mode engaged...... and so on lol . I am happy to just flip and flap ....happy lever ...lol

Niro focus is on the drive experiences, Ioniq focus is on the fuel efficiency.  The only down side is that C&C took out some of the really nice features of the original Niro when they import it , e.g GPS, bigger screen, etc. 

By the way, where is the indicator that shows that you should shift gear in Sports mode ? I only use it to merge lane and switch back to normal drive mode very quickily, so the auto gear shift in Sports mode is good enough for me. 

Own a niro for 2 months odd and driven almost 5000km. 

My mileage is around 1000km for 38-40L of petrol. But my driving style quite relaxed. The on-board stats displayed i drove 85% eco and 15% normal. 

Anyway, I do hear a v faint "tok" sound when turning up MSCP, when the steering is turned to the right. I think I will get it rectified at the 10k km servicing. Felt that the steering is too light for my liking in normal mode. I like the firmness of the steering in S mode though. 

And the brakes feel v spongy, which attributes to why I drive in a relaxed manner, doesn't like the spongy feel when I have to brake harder. 

Apart from these two issues, I am loving all the gadgets that comes with it. 

I hear the sound when I move and turn the wheels at slow speed over a speed bump, normally encounter on MSCP. It's annoying but so far, don't seems like a big problem for me. 

I also sometimes encounter a sudden surge forward if I drive in sports mode in slow stop and go traffic, if you looks to other forum, seems like this is a common encounter with Niro.  Something to watch out for. 

Niro focus is on the drive experiences, Ioniq focus is on the fuel efficiency.  The only down side is that C&C took out some of the really nice features of the original Niro when they import it , e.g GPS, bigger screen, etc. 

Few days back , was at service centre rectifying the fuel cover stuck problem , saw some people fixing a bigger screen radio set. Think it should be the GPS unit.

• Praise 1

You have practically complaints about the buttons being complicated, and then insists that the Niro has no sports mode in spite of NEVER actually been in one, and after people takes the effort to explain to you, called it weird, a cost cutting feature and antiquated even though you have not sit in the car and you probably still have no idea how it works. So which of the following situation would work for you and not result in any "complaints" ?

a) If Niro has no sports mode

b) If Niro sports mode consists of just changing from automatic to manual gear shift.

c) If Niro sports mode consists of complicated buttons where you have to view a screen to see the mode change.

d) If Niro sports mode allows a simple push to the right on the gear shift to switch to sports mode, changes the engine mappings, throttle values, gear shift timings and the engine fuel mix (as well as using the electric engine) to boost power.. basically changing the engine parameters to produce more power AND concurrently allow ( but not require) the manual shifting of gear with a slight push forward or back.

Wow... so you bought the car... touchy eh?

When you shift to Sport Mode you will see the gear number indicator you are on and if you are on the move the arrow direction will start flashing to inform you to either shift up or down depending which dear you are currently at. eg if you are cruising in eco mode(normal at 6th gear) and you shift to sport mode for acceleration, you will notice the fear automatically downshift to 5th and at same time you will feel the sudden urge in power.

PS I may not have been able to describe this procedure properly but I suggest you try this and feel the extra power, see the flashing arrow as you accelerate and pick up speed, etc.

• Praise 1

Few days back , was at service centre rectifying the fuel cover stuck problem , saw some people fixing a bigger screen radio set. Think it should be the GPS unit.

Yeah, I think it's pretty expensive and now they have EX and dunno what models..... 

When you shift to Sport Mode you will see the gear number indicator you are on and if you are on the move the arrow direction will start flashing to inform you to either shift up or down depending which dear you are currently at. eg if you are cruising in eco mode(normal at 6th gear) and you shift to sport mode for acceleration, you will notice the fear automatically downshift to 5th and at same time you will feel the sudden urge in power.

PS I may not have been able to describe this procedure properly but I suggest you try this and feel the extra power, see the flashing arrow as you accelerate and pick up speed, etc.

Which arrow ? I don't see it. :-D .. can take a photo (while not driving... of course... ha ha...)

I just switch to Sports mode but let the auto gear do it's job... mostly good enough for me...

Wow... so you bought the car... touchy eh?

Wow, you so *smart*  :a-confused:  , I was trying so hard to keep it a secret... Not touchy about complaints of the car at all... just gets annoying when when  people who are bloody :a-confused:  and has never actually test or even  [drivingcar]  the car, just keep  :a-bang: with stupid comments that  make :a-t2622: senses... 

Anyway, good try , give you a B-minus for effort. 

Wow, you so *smart* :a-confused: , I was trying so hard to keep it a secret... Not touchy about complaints of the car at all... just gets annoying when when people who are bloody :a-confused: and has never actually test or even [drivingcar] the car, just keep :a-bang: with stupid comments that make :a-t2622: senses...

Anyway, good try , give you a B-minus for effort.

Dude... this is a forum... it's about opinions... just because you drive it doesn't make yours more qualified than others...

Yeah, I think it's pretty expensive and now they have EX and dunno what models..... 

Which arrow ? I don't see it. :-D .. can take a photo (while not driving... of course... ha ha...)

I just switch to Sports mode but let the auto gear do it's job... mostly good enough for me...

Sori, can't take photo when car isn't moving as then the indicator will only show S.

Do this and observe whilst driving around 70-80 kph in ECO or auto mode. ( but do NOT take your eyes completely off the road and other vehicles near or around you. Best is to carry out this on an open stretch of quite empty road.). 

Shift into SPORT mode, S will show on meter cluster including the gear you were at before the shift. If you were in 6th, then the it will downshift to 5th in the S mode together with a responsive urge. Accelerate ( you will feel the speed very responsive with each minor accelerator input.) You shall then notice the upward arrow flashing to advise you to shift up to 6th when sufficient speed is attained. This is done with a slight "flick" forward to the gear lever. 6th will now be indicated.

Hope I am not too " lor sor" in my explanation. Try it out but remember with safety cautions in mind. Cheers! 

NOTE: I normally drive in ECO mode to save on gas usage.  S mode is used at times when acceleration to pick up speed for overtaking or merging into major roads.

Thought there is the draw cord with a TAG to unlock the gas filler cover in the event the release switch at dash area isn't working to unlock open the cover.

This draw cord plus tag is concealed behind a removable cover at the left rear corner of trunk when niro was delivered. 

I transferred these out and used velcro to stick tag ( to prevent rattle) to cover. So in an emergency, I just need to give light pull with the tag to unlock and release the gas filler cover.

My 2 cts tip.

Sori, can't take photo when car isn't moving as then the indicator will only show S.

Do this and observe whilst driving around 70-80 kph in ECO or auto mode. ( but do NOT take your eyes completely off the road and other vehicles near or around you. Best is to carry out this on an open stretch of quite empty road.). 

Shift into SPORT mode, S will show on meter cluster including the gear you were at before the shift. If you were in 6th, then the it will downshift to 5th in the S mode together with a responsive urge. Accelerate ( you will feel the speed very responsive with each minor accelerator input.) You shall then notice the upward arrow flashing to advise you to shift up to 6th when sufficient speed is attained. This is done with a slight "flick" forward to the gear lever. 6th will now be indicated.

Hope I am not too " lor sor" in my explanation. Try it out but remember with safety cautions in mind. Cheers! 

NOTE: I normally drive in ECO mode to save on gas usage.  S mode is used at times when acceleration to pick up speed for overtaking or merging into major roads.

Thanks. Figure it out. LOL.. It doesn't show up when I switch to Sports mode, only when I try to change gear manually. Never noticed it as I'm typically looking at traffic when I use Sports mode.. ha ha... 

Thought there is the draw cord with a TAG to unlock the gas filler cover in the event the release switch at dash area isn't working to unlock open the cover.

This draw cord plus tag is concealed behind a removable cover at the left rear corner of trunk when niro was delivered. 

I transferred these out and used velcro to stick tag ( to prevent rattle) to cover. So in an emergency, I just need to give light pull with the tag to unlock and release the gas filler cover.

My 2 cts tip.

Thanks !! Good to know, although if it's stuck and brand new car under warranty, I'll try to get them to fix it too. 

Anyway, I'm sure the bigger screen with GPS is expensive !! 

If you switch to Sports mode (niro) , the auto gear does not apply or work. If you continue to accelerate in the gear when Sports mode is engaged you will only increase the engine revs as well as higher engine noise. This can be damaging to the engine cos od over revving at the high rpm. Glance at the arrow and follow its advice to upshift.

If you switch to Sports mode (niro) , the auto gear does not apply or work. If you continue to accelerate in the gear when Sports mode is engaged you will only increase the engine revs as well as higher engine noise. This can be damaging to the engine cos od over revving at the high rpm. Glance at the arrow and follow its advice to upshift.

Isn't there a safety trigger to upshift when you reach the redline?
↡ Advertisement