New Kia Niro Hybrid

Aukang

Isn't there a safety trigger to upshift when you reach the redline?

Never noticed as I niro has no rev meter, but i guess there isn't auto upshift once in Sport mode. Hence the arrows.

↡ Advertisement

If you switch to Sports mode (niro) , the auto gear does not apply or work. If you continue to accelerate in the gear when Sports mode is engaged you will only increase the engine revs as well as higher engine noise. This can be damaging to the engine cos od over revving at the high rpm. Glance at the arrow and follow its advice to upshift.

I don't have this problem. When I switch to sports mode. The autogear work as per normal only more high rev and aggressive. But if you switch to sports mode and move up or down gears manually . It will be in the manual override mode . And yes there's a rev limiter which up shift if red line is met. Before that it will nag you to up shift. I wonder how you guys drive the car without knowing what the car do or don't do . If switch to automode and just leave it there , it is sports auto. The first manual kick down of gears activate the manual shift mode . Hope that explains. By the way not only niro works like this . My past colt plus and Volvo n vw all do this Edited by Raygooh
  • Praise 4

If you switch to Sports mode (niro) , the auto gear does not apply or work. If you continue to accelerate in the gear when Sports mode is engaged you will only increase the engine revs as well as higher engine noise. This can be damaging to the engine cos od over revving at the high rpm. Glance at the arrow and follow its advice to upshift.

As mentioned,that's not correct.

1. It will operate in Sports Auto mode, and gear shift is automatic. I verified the rpm using odb2. I just didn't notice the gear number because when I drive in sports mode, eyes always on the road.

2. In both manual and auto mode, the Niro will not allow you to over the redline.

Never noticed as I niro has no rev meter, but i guess there isn't auto upshift once in Sport mode. Hence the arrows.

I verified using rev meter from odb2 reader, there is auto upshift, just more aggressive.
  • Praise 1

Just read thru a few pages of this thread:

-why got one guy keep talking about his Sonata in a Niro thread ah? He drive taxi/Uber in real life want to show off is it?

- seems that Niro has quite a lot of QC issues, I'm renting one now in the US and quite amazed with the FC, did over 300km on just a quarter tank, but for my next car will probably stick with the Japanese hybrids until Kia sort out their QC

Edited by Thetnee
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 2

-why got one guy keep talking about his Sonata in a Niro thread ah? He drive taxi/Uber in real life want to show off is it?

- seems that Niro has quite a lot of QC issues, I'm renting one now in the US and quite amazed with the FC, did over 300km on just a quarter tank, but for my next car will probably stick with the Japanese hybrids until Kia sort out their QC

Hahaha,y u so mean. He is just trying to share his opinion. That's what forums are for.

Sharing is caring.

• Praise 1

There are similarities in the different cars from the same company cos the baseline is usually the same... car companies are not going to redesign everything for every single model that they release... Hyundai and Kia share the same parts bins from engines to switch gear to software...

You can use the ignore function.

Heh.. irritating right ? Especially when he insist on telling people how Niro behave in spite of never touching one.

For the fuel meter on the screen,it's not accurate. Again based on comparing against reading from odb2 interface. The same 1/4 mark can varies alot on the odb2 reading.

Heh.. irritating right ? Especially when he insist on telling people how Niro behave in spite of never touching one.

For the fuel meter on the screen,it's not accurate. Again based on comparing against reading from odb2 interface. The same 1/4 mark can varies alot on the odb2 reading.

Yup quite annoying. It's like he got post purchase dissonance then trying to justify his purchase. I mean if u gotta Lexus and wanna haolian ok la.. But Sonata...

Anyway, I got tired of limiting the car to 100km/h on cruise control here in the US, so started to take it to 130-140km/h from half tank onwards. Went to fill the car to autistop at quarter tank and still got 20.8km/l, truly impressive numbers for a hybrid

• Praise 1

Yup quite annoying. It's like he got post purchase dissonance then trying to justify his purchase. I mean if u gotta Lexus and wanna haolian ok la.. But Sonata...

Anyway, I got tired of limiting the car to 100km/h on cruise control here in the US, so started to take it to 130-140km/h from half tank onwards. Went to fill the car to autistop at quarter tank and still got 20.8km/l, truly impressive numbers for a hybrid

I like the cruise control, but I don't find it more "efficient" than driving without. Especially if got many small slopes. Prius display is also more "useful" or functional but less like a traditional car vs some factory control system.

Purchase dissonance? What a laugh...

Neutral Newbie

Hi, new to this forum. Owner of Kia NIRO. Had my front right bumper scraped against car park wall. Need advice on car workshop for repairs. Please help. Thank you.

Hi, new to this forum. Owner of Kia NIRO. Had my front right bumper scraped against car park wall. Need advice on car workshop for repairs. Please help. Thank you.

I go to Johor. Quite cheap but waste a entire day. Go early in the morning, pick up and drive back around 4 pm. If you need to replace parts, make sure buy in SG unless your car is very very common. I think there was quite a few good referral in the forums. 

Neutral Newbie

I go to Johor. Quite cheap but waste a entire day. Go early in the morning, pick up and drive back around 4 pm. If you need to replace parts, make sure buy in SG unless your car is very very common. I think there was quite a few good referral in the forums.

Thanks for the info, ancient. Appreciate it.

If damage to the bumper is just minor, suggest you go to kia w/shop for the repair and repaint to the correct colour. May cost you a bit more, rather than the inconvenience of taking one whole day off if to be done in jb ( and whether jb can match the correct colour to the rest of bumper).

↡ Advertisement