2017! Are we in recession?

RadX

IHMO Recession maketh not the man, his income less expenses do.

In recession one can still make good income less expenses=savings for rainy day and investment. Good stock with dividend or easy to rent out property = faithful 2nd income for life (of that asset). Every year is a better year to a person like him.

In roaring economy one can be irrelevant (think kodak film and Nokia) and lost job/income/ make losses in business (also can be mistakes in industry/finance/ops etc) and resulted in incomes less than expenses. His savings can only last so long.

The SG society has many different layers of people, much like a onion: from billionaires to people who can't even afford $1 kopi. No point comparing what recession means across layers as someone thinking about GCB is very different from freehold landed seeker and the latter is very different from Condo or HDB seekers. One thing is constant though: income greater than expenses. Even a 1 billionaire can only last 1 year if he loses 3m a day before 1.095 billion is used up (and not all his wealth is in liquid cash).

All the best to all mcfers in 2017 and great health and happiness to all!

• Praise 2

Any nice cheap car for me to trade in my Porsche?

No top up please

If you are keen on exercise and not fuzzy, you can look up Radx. He got some psychedelic coloured, light weigh, self propel, naturally air-vented cars for sale. The good thing no COE needed. However, not sure if it weather proof. I understand got bring your own glue with each trip taken.

[laugh]

• Praise 8

What kind of a question is that bro??

It's either we are in a recession or we are not.

Anyway, life goes on and planet earth will continue to revolve.

[laugh]

True true.

Either we wake up alive or we wake up dead.

Recession or not, I just want continue converting oxygen to carbon dioxide

• Praise 3

2nd day of 2017 ... the world still turning... the sun still up from the east and set to the west ...

Whether we are in recession or not, we must be positive and pre-empt things, so that our lives will not be too much affected by whatever the world is doing ...

Life goes on :)

• Praise 2

If you are keen on exercise and not fuzzy, you can look up Radx. He got some psychedelic coloured, light weigh, self propel, naturally air-vented cars for sale. The good thing no COE needed. However, not sure if it weather proof. I understand got bring your own glue with each trip taken.

[laugh]

Er, mai lah, mai lah

Turbocharged

no need recession

a low economic growth also means the number of jobs created may not be sufficient, or qualified people may have to settle for lesser valued jobs

which is why China die die has to maintain its 6-8% growth so that the amount of investment and jobs created can meet the demands of its new graduates every year

• Praise 1

no need recession

a low economic growth also means the number of jobs created may not be sufficient, or qualified people may have to settle for lesser valued jobs

which is why China die die has to maintain its 6-8% growth so that the amount of investment and jobs created can meet the demands of its new graduates every year

Due to ageing population and a growing proportion that stops working, the employment numbers will actually dive.

Low economic growth in that context is not too bad, as slightly lesser new and higher paid entrants (on average) replace the baby boomers generation in the workforce.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 2

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/economists-see-a-slow-2017-with-some-bright-spots

Economists see a slow 2017, with some bright spots

Jan 2, 2017

Positive signs in factory activity and IT sector hiring amid global uncertainties, lacklustre business sentiment.

The Singapore economy grew "one plus per cent" last year, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his New Year message on Saturday.

"Overall, we are not doing badly, considering the global economic uncertainties," he noted, adding that the growth figure is "still positive though less than we hoped for".

"While the labour market has eased, unemployment remains low and we are still creating new jobs. I know many employers and workers are concerned, but rest assured the Government is watching this closely," said Mr Lee.

• Praise 6

What recession?

Singapore’s economy grows 1.8% in Q4; 2016 GDP at 1.8%

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/singapore/singapore-s-economy-grows-1-8-in-q4-2016-gdp-at-1-8/3408294.html

SINGAPORE: The Singapore economy expanded a faster than expected 1.8 per cent on a year-on-year basis in the final three months of 2016, according to advance estimates released by the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) on Tuesday (Jan 3).

This was more than the 1.2 per cent growth in the third quarter.

On a quarter-on-quarter seasonally adjusted basis, gross domestic product (GDP) grew 9.1 per cent, marking a reversal from the 1.9 per cent contraction in the July to September period and dodging a technical recession defined as two straight quarters of declines in economic output.

Analysts had earlier put forth expectations for the economy to avert a technical recession, following a jump in industrial production in November. Economists surveyed by Reuters forecasted Singapore’s fourth-quarter GDP to grow 0.6 per cent on a year-on-year basis and 3.7 per cent from the previous three months on an annualised basis.

This brought full-year GDP growth to 1.8 per cent, above the Government's forecast for 2016 growth to be between 1 and 1.5 per cent. However this marks Singapore's weakest annual rate of growth since 2009, when the economy was hit by the global financial crisis and shrank 0.6 per cent. Last year, the economy grew 2 per cent.

wah exceed expectation liao

national bonus gao gao ... huat ah!

This brought full-year GDP growth to 1.8 per cent, above the Government's forecast for 2016 growth to be between 1 and 1.5 per cent. However this marks Singapore's weakest annual rate of growth since 2009, when the economy was hit by the global financial crisis and shrank 0.6 per cent. Last year, the economy grew 2 per cent.

Edited by Wt_know

1.8% growth .. its growing, so no recession lah :)

Just that some companies are retrenching ...

Hope we can sustain our growth in 2017 and better still, increase, so that every citizens can benefit :)

Edited by Ktglfc
  • Praise 1

Nicely averting technical recession.......

But get ready for more job losses, folks.

The only way is cost control since profits cannot improve.

Step 1, No replacement for voluntary resignations

Step 2, Influence voluntary resignation

Step 3, Identify redundancy

Step 4 remove redundancy

See which stage your company is in.

Good luck.

Yay, no recession!

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Nicely averting technical recession.......

But get ready for more job losses, folks.

The only way is cost control since profits cannot improve.

Step 1, No replacement for voluntary resignations

Step 2, Influence voluntary resignation

Step 3, Identify redundancy

Step 4 remove redundancy

See which stage your company is in.

Good luck.

Yay, no recession!

I was a "victim" of step no. 2 (influence voluntary resignation) in my previous company:

Increased my annual budget by 30 - 35%, and kept tekan-ing me that I was unable to meet this target.

I could hardly keep pace just making the same numbers as last year's, much less a 30% jump!

I figured, there was no point playing this game with them anymore.  Found a better job, packed up and left for good, after 11 years; guess I should have seen it coming.

They also implemented step no. 1: they didn't find a replacement for my position.

Haha.

• Praise 4

Recession is so long and so many letters to type.

Can we shorten the word to recess?

When I was in school everyone loves to hear

Are we in recess yet?  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 3

I was a "victim" of step no. 2 (influence voluntary resignation) in my previous company:

Increased my annual budget by 30 - 35%, and kept tekan-ing me that I was unable to meet this target.

I could hardly keep pace just making the same numbers as last year's, much less a 30% jump!

I figured, there was no point playing this game with them anymore. Found a better job, packed up and left for good, after 11 years; guess I should have seen it coming.

They also implemented step no. 1: they didn't find a replacement for my position.

Haha.

Yup, standard procedures, bro.

Just move on.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement