Driving against traffic incidents! How to avoid?

RadX

Sometimes, there's a "problem" with the road junction.

When you're making a right turn, some road junctions are extra wide and there's a centre kerb.

The centre kerb is visible with black/white marking.

The other side where you're supposed to turn into has the markings blackened by soot/carbon.

So you can't see that kerb.

And you turn right before the centre kerb and ended up going the wrong way.

If there was little traffic, you'd continue going the wrong way, until you realized too late.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Let's see how many moreattachicon.gifIMG_0409.JPG

15895374_10154989939318159_3883643773725

Nicholas Fanyeong This happens on 01 Jan 2017, Yishun, idiot drive all the way, buses and cars just give way to him

From the comments on the facebook video of the 5th Jan incident.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

The sudden surge? Is this something recent or have been happening for awhile but just drivers become more aware because of recent fatal accident.

Could it be due to our road design, signs not placed well, lighting of our roads, some roads like ECP on particular time of the day - sun shines directly at you as you drive?

I realised that not millions but billions of dollars spent on manpower, paper resources, laser equipment (including upgrade needed from time to time) and etc, on catching speeding drivers.

Singapore roads have maximum speed limits unlike Germany. Most cars got speed-limiters especially those high powered car. What if all import cars are electronically fitted with speed limiters. Overnight no more speeding issues (speeding often occurs in major roads and not small lanes).

Singapore has never been bash about introducing harsh measures to solve a problem (using a hammer to crack a peanut) eg chewing gum, alcohol consumption in little india. So perhaps this may be an answer which eliminates all associated expenses and dangers involving speeding.

I don't think speeding in and of itself is that big an issue. A vast majority of accidents are due to driver inattention. Look at the amount of accidents in heavy traffic, basically rear end or multi car collision. Most of these are at relatively low speeds.

What needs to be improved is definitely driver training, ensure that drivers know what to do under various situations, and also road design. Quite lot of our roads have blind spots and corners that make it difficult to adequately judge and look at oncoming traffic properly.

Edited by Benarsenal

The sudden surge? Is this something recent or have been happening for awhile but just drivers become more aware because of recent fatal accident.

Could it be due to our road design, signs not placed well, lighting of our roads, some roads like ECP on particular time of the day - sun shines directly at you as you drive?

I realised that not millions but billions of dollars spent on manpower, paper resources, laser equipment (including upgrade needed from time to time) and etc, on catching speeding drivers.

Singapore roads have maximum speed limits unlike Germany. Most cars got speed-limiters especially those high powered car. What if all import cars are electronically fitted with speed limiters. Overnight no more speeding issues (speeding often occurs in major roads and not small lanes).

Singapore has never been bash about introducing harsh measures to solve a problem (using a hammer to crack a peanut) eg chewing gum, alcohol consumption in little india. So perhaps this may be an answer which eliminates all associated expenses and dangers involving speeding.

Theres road marking

I think these drivers busy looking at their gps. Especially those grab or uber drivers look at the gps phone more than the road

• Praise 1

Should open a thread

"What to do when u see car against traffic coming towards you"

Maybe Can save lives

First thing to do is check around to see if you are the one salah

• Praise 2

Think ST READ MCF HAAAAA

attachicon.gifIMG_0411.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0412.JPG

MCF part of ST mah :D

Anyway, good to highlight ... the public will be more aware, and could practice defensive driving ...

Also, pressure will be on TP to catch all these dangerous drivers ...

Be careful. Now got warden in the carpark to catch those driving against traffic. Lol. The carpark at Bishan interchange is all one way only. But sometimes the lots nearest the ramp is empty and many people just drive against traffic to park. Now always got warden there already. Sitting in one corner with a camera.

Those carparks that i sometime do are Ikea and underground carparks. The ones underground can be confusing as they are rather dimly lit and the sign arent that big. Thanks for the reminder. Will surely keep that in mind.

First thing to do is check around to see if you are the one salah

• Praise 3

More than once I got a carpark lot that I eyed on entry to the carpark being unceremoniously taken when i followed the lane direction marking strictly.

How I know that it was a queue cutter who went against the traffic to snap up the lot? Some carpark design (eg parkway parade) is such that when you enter the level, you the first few lanes are all towards you and they are long and straight. The design of the carpark lets you look down the whole stretch and have green light markets on top to designate an empty lot. You are forced to go one big round to reach the lot you spooted. Usually after spotted a lot, while driving pass the aisles, i will look out for any cars already "in the queue" before me... Usually when I see that I am the first one in the queue for that level, I will make an attempt to get to the lot I spotted earlier... Half the time i get people driving in opposite direction to cut the "queue"

And usually from my encounters, they are female drivers whom usually act blur, parked the car and walk away. . Avoiding my death stare... Or they thought I was staring at them because they are chio?

• Praise 4

More than once I got a carpark lot that I eyed on entry to the carpark being unceremoniously taken when i followed the lane direction marking strictly.

How I know that it was a queue cutter who went against the traffic to snap up the lot? Some carpark design (eg parkway parade) is such that when you enter the level, you the first few lanes are all towards you and they are long and straight. The design of the carpark lets you look down the whole stretch and have green light markets on top to designate an empty lot. You are forced to go one big round to reach the lot you spooted. Usually after spotted a lot, while driving pass the aisles, i will look out for any cars already "in the queue" before me... Usually when I see that I am the first one in the queue for that level, I will make an attempt to get to the lot I spotted earlier... Half the time i get people driving in opposite direction to cut the "queue"

And usually from my encounters, they are female drivers whom usually act blur, parked the car and walk away. . Avoiding my death stare... Or they thought I was staring at them because they are chio?

Edited by Still2016
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6