KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

USA nomenclature: 2018 model means selling now in 2017.

The one in the caranddriver article is just a refreshed current gen. I think beyond this gen, they are killing it off just like what they did to the Evo X.

That's a really interesting move if it comes through... probably emissions standards put paid to future models...

That I'm not sure, but I won't be getting any hybrid car. Not in SG anyway.

Why not? Works really well in our type of traffic... the electric motor giving you a good boost to merge into traffic or over take...

You forgot BMW is also much much more expensive? [laugh]

And also, Korean cars are heavier compared to Japanese cars, which results in good high speed stability.

Actually I wonder why they can't lighten the weight... the German marques are all lighter... hence their better acceleration figures ...
↡ Advertisement

That's a really interesting move if it comes through... probably emissions standards put paid to future models...

Why not? Works really well in our type of traffic... the electric motor giving you a good boost to merge into traffic or over take...

Actually I wonder why they can't lighten the weight... the German marques are all lighter... hence their better acceleration figures ...

Part of the reason is that Hyundai group owns a very large steel business.

Of late, Hyundai / Kia cars have been using a high proportion of premium grade high strength steel to enhance structural rigidity. This improves handling, and perceived quality.

On the flip side, it's heavier. And this contrast is magnified in instances where some of the German competitors use materials like aluminium.

Part of the reason is that Hyundai group owns a very large steel business.

Of late, Hyundai / Kia cars have been using a high proportion of premium grade high strength steel to enhance structural rigidity. This improves handling, and perceived quality.

On the flip side, it's heavier. And this contrast is magnified in instances where some of the German competitors use materials like aluminium.

Hyundai already switched to aluminum engine blocks... they're one generation behind the curve... benchmarking the Germans means they have to match materials too... the Japanese also used steel mainly but their cars are lighter... probably less sound insulation...

Outside I don't care cos I can't see the badge but I value my airbag leh. Don't wanna change the steering wheel.

My first car was a Kia and I loved everything about it except for the ugly badge

Edited by Fitvip

Hyundai already switched to aluminum engine blocks... they're one generation behind the curve... benchmarking the Germans means they have to match materials too... the Japanese also used steel mainly but their cars are lighter... probably less sound insulation...

I largely agree, from a pure automotive business perspective.

But all I'm saying is that there are probably corporate considerations at play as well.

Stinger is 3.3L V6 twin turbo.

STI's 2.5L turbo got no chance in a century sprint.

Of course there is the 2L turbo version as well but that won't stand a chance against the STI.

Don't forget driver skill, in SG it's never about straight line sprinting but whether you are experienced enough to read the road conditions and choose the correct lane  :yuush:

Even a ferrari will be left behind once it's stuck in the wrong lane during peak hour traffic

Don't forget driver skill, in SG it's never about straight line sprinting but whether you are experienced enough to read the road conditions and choose the correct lane  :yuush:

Even a ferrari will be left behind once it's stuck in the wrong lane during peak hour traffic

People talk about performance specs and you talk about street racing  [smash] 

Hybrid/electric cars are not pocket friendly.

I'm not sure if korean cars are heavier than germans. I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Huh?????

You live up to your name, anyhow throw flashbang..

I talking about century spring only leh... not street racing.

And Stinger is in the GT car category, not street racing car leh [laugh]

• Praise 2

I'm not sure if korean cars are heavier than germans. I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Huh?????

Audi A3 1205 kg (1.0 turbo)

Opel Astra 1188 kg (1.0 or 1.4 turbo)

VW Golf 1257 kg (1.0 turbo)

Kia Cerato K3 1295 kg (1.6 NA)

Hyundai Elantra S 1340 kg (1.6 NA)

German brands mostly lighter... by quite a fair bit...

Audi A3 1205 kg (1.0 turbo)

Opel Astra 1188 kg (1.0 or 1.4 turbo)

VW Golf 1257 kg (1.0 turbo)

Kia Cerato K3 1295 kg (1.6 NA)

Hyundai Elantra S 1340 kg (1.6 NA)

German brands mostly lighter... by quite a fair bit...

so buibui ahhh my elantra...

Ah yes... that is right...

But not the same at the family sedan / executive sedan level... I'm trying to compare cars of similar sizes:

Hyundai Sonata VIII sunroof - 1565 kg

Kia Optima - 1450 kg

Audi A4 TFSI 2.0 - 1510 kg

BMW 318i Sport - 1500 kg

Mercedes Benz C180 Avant-garde - 1425 kg

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 FSI - 1418 kg

Volvo S60 T2 - 1589 kg

Mazda 6 2.0 Executive - 1472 kg

Toyota Camry 2.0 - 1480 kg

Honda Accord 2.0 - 1530 kg

Nissan Teana 2.0 - 1470 kg

Note: all are published kerb weights. Different trims can add up to 100 kg to the final kerb weight.

You can see clear weight advantages for all the non-Korean makes... note that the Sonata has a full glass panoramic roof with movable glass panel. The Optima doesn't have this so it cuts the weight down considerably...

I'm not sure which of the German or Japanese models have a similar roof but note that the panoramic glass roof with a movable panel typically adds about 100 kg to the kerb weight... I'm not sure if this applies to the Sonata since the published kerb weight for both trims, one with glass roof and the other without are identical... which I find a bit suspicious...

It also explains why my car's fuel consumption cannot compete with the other makes... I drive the Sonata... so heavy lar...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Ah yes... that is right...

But not the same at the family sedan / executive sedan level... I'm trying to compare cars of similar sizes:

Hyundai Sonata VIII sunroof - 1565 kg

Kia Optima - 1450 kg

Audi A4 TFSI 2.0 - 1510 kg

BMW 318i Sport - 1500 kg

Mercedes Benz C180 Avant-garde - 1425 kg

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 FSI - 1418 kg

Volvo S60 T2 - 1589 kg

Mazda 6 2.0 Executive - 1472 kg

Toyota Camry 2.0 - 1480 kg

Honda Accord 2.0 - 1530 kg

Nissan Teana 2.0 - 1470 kg

Note: all are published kerb weights. Different trims can add up to 100 kg to the final kerb weight.

You can see clear weight advantages for all the non-Korean makes... note that the Sonata has a full glass panoramic roof with movable glass panel. The Optima doesn't have this so it cuts the weight down considerably...

I'm not sure which of the German or Japanese models have a similar roof but note that the panoramic glass roof with a movable panel typically adds about 100 kg to the kerb weight... I'm not sure if this applies to the Sonata since the published kerb weight for both trims, one with glass roof and the other without are identical... which I find a bit suspicious...

It also explains why my car's fuel consumption cannot compete with the other makes... I drive the Sonata... so heavy lar...

interesting info..

anyway i tried the C class rear, A3 and 318 rear.. i think its more like A3 than A4. haha

interesting info..

anyway i tried the C class rear, A3 and 318 rear.. i think its more like A3 than A4. haha

Yeah... the problem is that both BMW and Mercedes do not have anything in this size... the C class and 3 series is just slightly smaller actually in dimensions while the E class and 5 series are considerably larger... so the family sedan size is kind of in between for these two marques... rather strange...

Yeah... the problem is that both BMW and Mercedes do not have anything in this size... the C class and 3 series is just slightly smaller actually in dimensions while the E class and 5 series are considerably larger... so the family sedan size is kind of in between for these two marques... rather strange...

The Stinger is a sports sedan, trying to compete against the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and the Audi A5 Sportback,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWQTkbTYIQ&t=185s

Edited by redstuff
  • Praise 1

The Stinger is a sports sedan, trying to compete against the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe and the Audi A5 Sportback,

Sorry... I wasn't commenting on the Stinger but really addressing the issue raised about the weight of Korean cars vis-a-vis the German brands...

Sorry... I wasn't commenting on the Stinger but really addressing the issue raised about the weight of Korean cars vis-a-vis the German brands...

Huh?????

Stinger more like a boulavard cruiser.

↡ Advertisement