Your car buying decision process

Tianmo

Service :

Important aspect if you opt for AD servicing.

Can they handle the load - eg ask the rep how long does it take to get a scheduled servicing?

How many car types do they handle?

Eg Wearnes now handles 6 brands or more, and will their mechanics be able to handle odd and unusual issues?

How long has the car been on the market - any quirks, and are parts easily available.

On a separate note:

Looking at all these accident videos, IMHO, one consideration for a new car:

Get one where you will live to see your family..

Any accident you can walk away from is a good one. So please pay attention to the safety feature of the car.

Don't let the temptation on saving on airbags and other features get to you, and instead opt for some leather seats instead.

talking abt air bags, just reminded me something. My younger bro had an accident many yrs bk, air bag activated, broke his glasses and he had a few deep cuts on his face and neck. could have blinded him if the broken glasses hit his eyes. Those driving with glasses take noted.

↡ Advertisement

Levorg - Great handling and drive. But lack of interior space for my size and features.

Mz6 Wagon - Drive was not so great, felt underpowered. Cannot turn off auto start/stop. Boot space smaller for its size and high loading height. Interior features were good.

I will choose the Levorg cos Mz6 Wagon really felt underpowered.

same for me, eventually i went for levorg after shortlisting these 2 cars

Peugeot nearer I think, or is BMW nearer even. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Ford is closer to IKEA than BMW. Share same service centre as Peugeot I believe.

Clearly no one even knows where ford service centre is because not many people here have a ford.

I know cuz their service centre must be quick sad and operate as a third party servicing workshop also under quicklane brand.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

talking abt air bags, just reminded me something. My younger bro had an accident many yrs bk, air bag activated, broke his glasses and he had a few deep cuts on his face and neck. could have blinded him if the broken glasses hit his eyes. Those driving with glasses take noted.

Just a note on airbags, the earlier ones may not have two stage deployment, and the impact can be pretty devastating. 

Also, shorter people especially ladies, sit far too near to the steering wheel. Some ladies sit so close they can lick the steering wheel...

This prevent the optimal deployment of the airbag. 

You can get serious chest, facial and eye injuries ... so yes beware.. 

i was just thinking, instead of  every now and then we see ppl asking this car or that car, why not we have a place to share all our buying decision process. Everyone has a different buying process, depending on priority. So share share here what is yours.

in fact its quite funny to see ppl copy and paste technical information, when sgcarmart has a function where we can compare 3-4 cars side by side. It even has a green tick to indicate which car has the best feature in that comparison.

I think a compile thread of a buying process may help some who have no idea what they want. But they want to buy.

What i use:

want/need recognition

I want to change car/I need to change car.

I dont usually want to change car unless it is giving me problem and servicing unable to solve it...............................When it is time to change....................... I will keep a look out and decide from there.......................

deadline.

No deadline............................. 

My budget (fix range), any price below or above is out.

+-10k of my budget...................................

type of car

Sedan/MPV/Stationwagon........................

New or used

Can be both...................................

Information collection

searching the internal for information related to the range identified from step 1

Yes I do that too...................................spend time reading..........................

short list 

Yes. From shortlist I will pick one..................................

Evaluation

test drive

Yes.......................... I test drive the car I intend to buy................................... Before that I will let SE do his stuff.................................ie provide me with information like specs, pricing, freebies etc................................ Ask questions which I already know, or hopefully can learn something new..................................... Once I am satisfied with the offer quoted..................... I will test drive.......................... For new car I will get my wife test drive while I sit behind............................ For used car I will test drive myself while my wife listens to any unusal sound......................................

feel the car

features and requirements.

final short list

No final shortlist......................... Already decided on one....................................This is for new car.......................For used car I will just go and see what is available and test drive those I am interested in................................... After test drive............................... if nothing unusual I will go ahead with the purchase...................................... For used car I dont bargain the price and buy as it is as I will have already factored in any repair cost into the price offered...................................if the price need to be increased because I pay full....................... I walk away..................................

Finally, negotiate and BUY the one you like most!

from 1000cc to 3500cc, from new cars to 9 yr old cars, there are at least a few hundred models to choose from. $90000 cash can buy you a brand new PRC made car in full cash, it can also buy you a used big conti car with a loan. Not to mention the inbetweens.

So have a buying process, it can help you save alot of time and headache. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]  

• Praise 1

Just a note on airbags, the earlier ones may not have two stage deployment, and the impact can be pretty devastating. 

Also, shorter people especially ladies, sit far too near to the steering wheel. Some ladies sit so close they can lick the steering wheel...

This prevent the optimal deployment of the airbag. 

You can get serious chest, facial and eye injuries ... so yes beware.. 

Some women have very ample air bags protection liao.. though quite rare locally. Some is aftermarket zhng one.

Whether factory stock or zhng at 3rd party aesthetic clinic I mean workshop (more common nowadays), both are deployed 24/7  :D

you current car coming to 10 years already ah ?

you also want to bring her go TEST RIDE ah? Finally kangtao lai liao.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

can start looking around and narrow down to 2 or 3 models.

then just wait for the right price and promotion.

so who is rider and who is ridee ? [:p]

All so ex de, see already jin sim tia, buy too small one no power and not comfortable, big one too ex, so very hard to decide

so who is rider and who is ridee ?  [:p]

errrrrrrrrr. you need to find out yourself liao, I is got heart no strength to help you.  [:p]  [:p]  [:p]

next year chut mercy or beemer ah chief?

No $$$ lah, wanna buy back jap, cheaper leh, car is depreciating liability, don't wanna spend so much, wu simi recommendation Ma?

No $$$ lah, wanna buy back jap, cheaper leh, car is depreciating liability, don't wanna spend so much, wu simi recommendation Ma?

i recommend merc or beemer for chief