Buying 2nd hand rims

MrJ

Been looking to get a good set of 2nd hand rims. 

Been told to look out for cracks, warps, signs of welding etc... is it also advisable to bring it to a tire shop for balancing before purchasing ? any recommendations  or tips ?

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

Been told to look out for cracks, warps, signs of welding etc... is it also advisable to bring it to a tire shop for balancing before purchasing ? any recommendations  or tips ?

Yup bro,

If you are getting any rim bigger than 18" and above. (tyres profile is usual thin)

My advise is for new piece as hair line crack is hard to detect even tyre shops.

Ensure is a good brand for a 2nd hand unless u know the seller.

Hope u find a set of new rims soon.

buying second hand rim is always carry a risk even new rim also got risk ( only thing good about new rim if you buy a Branded is more reliable.

for me buying over online carrying higher risk than from Store, should anything problem with the old items from store you can at least go back to them for some reasonable reasoning, I am sure they want you to come back again  ,but again secondhand product are sold without warranty,(don't expect it like NEW one)

getting over direct from Owner is definitely higher risk (unless you got it from your personal friend) , otherwise seller can probably tell you you get what you see or I have not such problem and may be is your car problem)

happy shopping

• Praise 1

My recommendation is to buy brand new. Put cost aside and just buy. Throughout the ride, you will have peace of mind and safety. You will appreciate it more.

• Praise 1

Put it on the balancer WITHOUT the tyres and rotate...check visually for warpages and bent rims...

To check for leaks on rims..there is a kind of UV paint to detect cracks...the simpler way is to fit on tyres then dunk it into water to see if there is any leakages.

Neutral Newbie

Pls PM @ 96648916. I can send you my rim picture for sale.

Edited by Clify

Any recommendation for 2nd hand rim shop?

Can check out yew tee car alignment centre?

My company's technician recently changed set of new tyre and used rims 15 inch for $600+ in total, he say they sell both new/used rims at very good prices. 

You can try visit this place , i bought a set of rims from Kheng Keng at 4 Defu Lane 1  . They got like hundred of different choices of second hand rims with tyres . I bought a set of used 17" rims and tyres for my honda stream at only $450  . Some more , tyres looks with 70% left and they even balance the rim to ensure no problem , really good job. . Definitely visit them for such good deal 

Yeah , i used carousell , to buy set of rim b4 , ended up also at that same shop in defu , service is good and price is reason.. paid 16 inch rims with 80 % tyres for under $300  for 1 set.

(edited)

I have a relatively new set of TRD rims with tyres to let go. 2 months old. 17 inch. If keen let me know.

Edited by JTHM
↡ Advertisement