Cars today (2017) Are Cheaper Than 20 Years Ago

Vinceng

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to  drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Dun forget there was a less than 20yr ago time when the 'rolla was $69k.

And still got 10yr loan to finance it.

No wonder ppl say we always yearn for the good ol days....

• Praise 4

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to  drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

Why 20 yrs ago before the asian financial crisis set in?.......if go 30 yrs before when there is no coe cars were very much cheaper!  If go back  19 yrs and the financial crisis was in full swing coe price plummetted and remain low for nearly a decade!

But i still prefer 20 yrs ago....the ft presence was not felt then.

• Praise 4

For those with short memories back in 1997 you have to come up with a 30 percent down payment and can loan up to 7 years maximum

The flood gates started in 2003 when the garment allow 100 percent finance and 10 years loan. Most people use the 2nd scenario as a baseline to compare.

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 2

KNN, sibei sian liao, next 5 yrs, mayb 10 yrs I dont know what to do liao. COE up down also I cannot do anything. [:(][:p][:p]

Hv no fear. COE up or down u can still tiko.
  • Praise 2

Hv no fear. COE up or down u can still tiko.

Tikoism is my profession, this one I cfm know what to do, up down up down is part of it.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

KNN, sibei sian liao, next 5 yrs, mayb 10 yrs I dont know what to do liao. COE up down also I cannot do anything. [:(][:p][:p]

Stop following coe thread since I change my car last year.

• Praise 1

Car lite started.

Prepare for more COE cut

But COE still increases by dunno 9 or 11% for this year first quarter. COE increases or decreases is not we say but Govt say. Nobody knows.

on that note, the cars are at their lowest on the roads now cf 8 years ago...but wtf, still jam like nobody business

tv, laptop, handphone all cheaper than 20 years ago.

20 years ago no hand phone. Only pager. Laptop very ex then. Only atas people carry laptop.

20 years ago I brought my swift for 80plus k. Hahaha cheap?

3 cylinders 1000 cc swift sedan. Hahaha

on that note, the cars are at their lowest on the roads now cf 8 years ago...but wtf, still jam like nobody business

Blame road works, numerous traffic junction. In the morning blame the school going kids.

Don't blame the car price or government.,

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1