Cars today (2017) Are Cheaper Than 20 Years Ago

Vinceng

There are too many cars today, hopefully they cut COEs by half and impose full cash payment for COEs.

Loan only for the machine cost.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

20/30 years ago where got mcf or Carmart?

The only source of info from straittimes advert. Small cutting advert always with engine A1 condition? Hahaha

Edited by Kopites

KNN, sibei sian liao, next 5 yrs, mayb 10 yrs I dont know what to do liao. COE up down also I cannot do anything.   [:(]  [:p]  [:p]

You can always renew what.

20 years ago no hand phone. Only pager. Laptop very ex then. Only atas people carry laptop.

20 years ago I brought my swift for 80plus k. Hahaha cheap?

1988 i work part time in Mcdonald's, the manager carry this phone [laugh]

post-1109-0-32741600-1485002898.jpg

• Praise 1

2017, we are going to challenge the previous low $38K Cat A set in 2016. When Altis sells for below $90K, all those with $90K COE will be scraping their 5yo cars, adding to the tsunami. This new wave was averted when LTA allowed higher loans for a longer period.  

2017, we are going to challenge the previous low $38K Cat A set in 2016. When Altis sells for below $90K, all those with $90K COE will be scraping their 5yo cars, adding to the tsunami. This new wave was averted when LTA allowed higher loans for a longer period.

if you go back 8-9 yrs ago.....coe was roughly 12k and 5k respectively. A few peopple i know SJQ and SJR plates got their coe at 5k i myself got mine at 12-14k.

if you go back 8-9 yrs ago.....coe was roughly 12k and 5k respectively. A few peopple i know SJQ and SJR plates got their coe at 5k i myself got mine at 12-14k.

Can you recall some of the reasons that made COE go low? Raymond was one, what were the others at that time?

20 years ago no hand phone. Only pager. Laptop very ex then. Only atas people carry laptop.

20 years ago I brought my swift for 80plus k. Hahaha cheap?

3 cylinders 1000 cc swift sedan. Hahaha

Blame road works, numerous traffic junction. In the morning blame the school going kids.

Don't blame the car price or government.,ð

Ya lor. Blame the parents who fetch kids to skool.

20yrs ago, all students take skool buses or walk to skool but nowadays parents pampers them kids too muchy

Can you recall some of the reasons that made COE go low? Raymond was one, what were the others at that time?

economic slowdown that hit in 97.....then the sars outbreak and the other economic slowdown in 07/08. The 97 onw was the worst as coe was very high....near or at 100k and it suddenly burst to (if not wrong $2) for big cars.

Info is this site....i got wrong values as i was using my memory.

http://tralvex.com/pub/cars/coe.htm

Edited by Eviilusion

regardless, if car is not free, there bound to be someone that say it is not cheap

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to  drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

Edited by Axela72

this year COE will be trending low... and my $$$ is it will break 40k... 

3 main reasons...

1. more COE will be released as more car got scrapped... LTA just announced in next quarter more COE available...

2. the worsen economy is making people hold back big ticket purchase... many ppl are forgoing car ownership after their cars reach 10 years... 

3. n the most important of all, rental companies (usual uber+grab+others) are bidding lesser or stop bidding COE altogether...

as the economy become worst... they cannot even find ppl to rent their cars and they already have a backlog of cars waiting to be rented...

it has reached saturation point... 

the only thing that will cock up my prediction is the p8p gahmen will allow people to loan even more $$$....

they may be desperate even to go back to $0 drive away, 100% loan, 10 years... 

they will achieve 2 effects that our gahmen want... keep the COE high so more money goes into their pocket and the most important of all, plow more $$$ back into the economy... 

remember, u read it here first.

• Praise 2

All the points you mentioned are simply tools that can be easily manipulated by the garment to achieve the end point: COE premium level income that do not shock their budget forecast for the rest of the fiscal year. 

So far it seem to me that 50k is the support level that do not trigger any further actions  from the garment to prop it up....

You read it hear first too :grin:

3 main reasons...

1. more COE will be released as more car got scrapped... LTA just announced in next quarter more COE available...

2. the worsen economy is making people hold back big ticket purchase... many ppl are forgoing car ownership after their cars reach 10 years... 

3. n the most important of all, rental companies (usual uber+grab+others) are bidding lesser or stop bidding COE altogether...

as the economy become worst... they cannot even find ppl to rent their cars and they already have a backlog of cars waiting to be rented...

the only thing that will cock up my prediction is the p8p gahmen will allow people to loan even more $$$....

they will achieve 2 effects that our gahmen want... keep the COE high so more money goes into their pocket and the most important of all, plow more $$$ back into the economy... 

• Praise 2

All the points you mentioned are simply tools that can be easily manipulated by the garment to achieve the end point: COE premium level income that do not shock their budget forecast for the rest of the fiscal year. 

So far it seem to me that 50k is the support level that do not trigger any further actions  from the garment to prop it up....

You read it hear first too :grin:

that is what i'm saying... if it dropped to much, gahmen may do what i predict... 

then why still analyse so much as all know the result will still be the same?

that is what i'm saying... if it dropped to much, gahmen may do what i predict... 

But COE still increases by dunno 9 or 11% for this year first quarter. COE increases or decreases is not we say but Govt say. Nobody knows.

That's because vehicle population had dropped.

That was a cut in 2016 when car population was going up

• Praise 1

3 main reasons...

cfm break $40K, break up break down also break $40K.  

remember you read it here first. [:p]   [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement