Cars today (2017) Are Cheaper Than 20 Years Ago

Vinceng

no school no traffic jam ... just look at the traffic during school holidays ... lol

Not just because parents fetch kids to school.

Also many go overseas. So can be parents, singles, married with no kids.

The thing is that if ppl can really go for it they would have done so.

For those who can't they have to adapt and learn to live a lifestyle w/o a car.

Dan there are those who have both motorbike license and driving license. When times are good = drive car. When times are bad = ride motorbike. That's why you see motorbike coe slowly creeping up.

So don't always have the own car mentality in Singapore. White paper population target 7 mil. You can imagine the nightmare of getting around be it driving, riding or taking public transport. I believe some ppl are thinking of ways to get out.

The thing is that if ppl can really go for it they would have done so.

For those who can't they have to adapt and learn to live a lifestyle w/o a car.

Dan there are those who have both motorbike license and driving license. When times are good = drive car. When times are bad = ride motorbike. That's why you see motorbike coe slowly creeping up.

So don't always have the own car mentality in Singapore. White paper population target 7 mil. You can imagine the nightmare of getting around be it driving, riding or taking public transport. I believe some ppl are thinking of ways to get out.

I just came back from chin swee carpark. Hell they should make coe 100k. No loan! ,,

economic slowdown that hit in 97.....then the sars outbreak and the other economic slowdown in 07/08. The 97 onw was the worst as coe was very high....near or at 100k and it suddenly burst to (if not wrong $2) for big cars.

Info is this site....i got wrong values as i was using my memory.

http://tralvex.com/pub/cars/coe.htm

Anyone remember the financing in 2007, has the 100% loan over 10 yrs kicked in?

Anyone remember the financing in 2007, has the 100% loan over 10 yrs kicked in?

should be..because i bought my car in 08 and was looking at one the previous yr where the se had called me saying my loan had been approved by the bank. I hadnt signed anything then and was just looking at various dealership. The bank had offered 100% loan but i only signed a yr later with 10% dp. I bo lui!

Well, I remember the Proton Satria GTI's list price was $108,800 with COE.

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to  drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to  drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

Remind me one of my friend brought a 2yrs old corolla for 94k.

There are too many cars today, hopefully they cut COEs by half and impose full cash payment for COEs.

Loan only for the machine cost.

Hrrmph, even for machine cost I would grudgingly say, maybe 50%. Although I prefer zero.

This whole current set-up is scratch car dealer and banks backs wayang show. Ptooi!

if you go back 8-9 yrs ago.....coe was roughly 12k and 5k respectively. A few peopple i know SJQ and SJR plates got their coe at 5k i myself got mine at 12-14k.

yeah.. but majority sell at a neat profit when the COE chiong. Is like getting a free usage.. plus make some money..

Hrrmph, even for machine cost I would grudgingly say, maybe 50%. Although I prefer zero.

This whole current set-up is scratch car dealer and banks backs wayang show. Ptooi!

Everybody also need to make a living ma, including banks. Else how they pay you high interest?

yeah.. but majority sell at a neat profit when the COE chiong. Is like getting a free usage.. plus make some money..

ya.....sell and buy new......free usage for 3 yrs!

since the entire thing is manipulated. see ah gong want to car-lite or pocket-lite lor..

Totally right. Reduce quota by 10 cars per bid is less earn $1/2 million. Those who propose reduce quota better have 1/2 million good reasons. 

Totally right. Reduce quota by 10 cars per bid is less earn $1/2 million. Those who propose reduce quota better have 1/2 million good reasons. 

Reduce quota wont reduce revenue la!

Once quota cut,coe sure will go up.

-One coe $10.Ten coe $100.

-Reduce 5pcs of coe.

-One coe becomes $20.Five coe still $100 what?Still can reduce traffic jam somemore.

Of cos hope coe quota wont cut la!

Edited by Sktan10
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2