Cars today (2017) Are Cheaper Than 20 Years Ago

Vinceng

Yes. http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/08/14/richer-but-not-happier-hong-kongs-quality-of-life-drops/

It's not just about public transport but in other areas like housing, costs of living etc. The more people you have in an area, the more overcrowded it becomes, and the more tax you have to pay to maintain more people. Do you think HK people are very happy about the recent influx of China nationals into HK? Why SARS spread so quickly in HK back then?

If a country needs to build smaller and more expensive homes and sells lower specs cars with higher price tags and even forced its people to squeeze thousands daily in seat-less metal boxes, something is seriously wrong with the country and the environment of normal life living. It's like squeezing thousands of poultry in cages and this is not normal in nature and animal kingdom. Having hundreds of people squeezed within per sq km which is much worse than many bigger countries? Isn't it something very wrong too?

With that vast amount of money from schemes like ERP, COE, for decades, roads can be build elevated and underground to reduce hiccups. You may want to argue that we can't build everywhere in time to come. Then that leads to another question.

Is this kind of population boom sustainable? Now they say 7 million, tomorrow they say 10 million. In future they talk about 20 million and so on. This greed won't stop if it doesn't cut off. Is this kind of population boom sustainable? Do you want your future generations forever paying more taxes just to maintain this craziness?

Population growth is just a ponzi scheme. It's not sustainable at all.

http://www.theglobalist.com/is-population-growth-a-ponzi-scheme/

The retail figures for the past decades has shown the facts. Although population increases 2 million or so in the past decade, internal consumption and retail sales keep failing. Because people are paying more taxes to maintain this meaningless population growth and yet not spending to spur the economy. They rather let the money flow out with the emergence of e-commerce.

If Japan's problem is that serious, why didn't Japan import millions of foreigners to spur its economy instead? Did the Japan problem caused Japan to be reduced to a 3rd world country?

http://www.economiccalendar.com/2017/01/22/japans-economy-to-enter-virtuous-cycle-in-2017-fm-aso/

Japan instead relied on advanced technology to support its older population and the country is still resilient as one of the biggest world economies. It's not about the population numbers but the policies and the resilience of the country to move forward. There will be a time that the aging population will end one day and the young to take over again. If China didn't implement its one child policy back in the 70s, I'm not sure if it will even have enough food and homes for its people till present.

With the advancement of tomorrow's technologies, with more and more complex jobs (even management) going to be take over by machines in the near future, do we actually still need so many people in Singapore? How are the future generations going to find jobs in future with a bigger pool of people and yet fast shrinking job sectors being overtaken by machines and computers? It's not sustainable in the long run.

Erm, still got PI JDM Corollas le. Also cheaper than BM's Corolla. [laugh]

Totally agreed with you bros.

7million mean my son, grandchildren will need to support them when the 7 million ages. Vicious cycle. And then increase to 10 million?

Instead of upgrading our infrastructure to accommodate the 7million we should be looking on how to better improve life of our elderly here. Improve the standard of living. Make it a country where you won't need to worry about your tomorrow⁄retirement/old age. Knowing that one can lead a happily retired life here. This will lead to increase in our nation birth rate. Now we the cost of living here is holding back our nation birth rate. Everyone asking the same question. Can we afford? Child care,education,medical to old folk home.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement

yes, johor iskandar

that's why spore companies including ah gong are investing in iskandar

from luxury home to shopping mall to school/uni to hospital to old folk homes

but 1 day ... the price would be spore price too ... LOL

Everyone asking the same question. Can we afford? Child care,education,medical to old folk home.

Edited by Wt_know

Which Is Cheaper, Owning A Car Or Taking Uber Everyday?

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/cheaper-owning-car-taking-uber-093043356.html

The above article is inaccurate because it does not take into consideration the surge in Uber/Grab fares during weekday peak period (morning & night) & weekend peak period (night). For $30 weekend cab fare means you are very limited in your travel. You cannot explore the farms in Neo Tiew Crescent, or head to Changi beach, or make babies at East Coast Park car park (as MP Josephine Teo says "You don't need such a big space to have sex"). Bezza boleh, no need MPV like the Wish.

You don't have to get such a big car like the Toyota Wish.

A Perodua Bezza 1.3 auto at $77K should suffice, and that saves you $40K, against getting a Toyota Wish. Road tax, insurance, maintenance, annual depreciation are all cheaper too.

If you ask me, it is cheaper to own a car than to take Uber/Grab/taxi to commute daily. You use money to buy time. On rainy days like the past 2 days where it rained the entire day, even if you have the money, you can't even get a Uber/Grab/taxi.

No car, how to tackle girls? :D

For those who are waiting at the sidelines for COE prices to drop further, console yourselves that car prices are cheaper now than before.

Back in 1997, the G8 Toyota Corolla cost $125K. The G9 Corolla dropped to $100K in 2000. Today, the Corolla Altis costs $100K with 5 years warranty and servicing thrown in. If you take inflation into consideration, the brand new Corolla today is CHEAPER than 20 years ago.

With Uber and Grab in the picture fighting for a piece of the small Cat A pie, COE prices are unlikely to drop to $40K levels.

If you really need a car, just go for it now, before more Car Llite policies come into place and COE quote gets cut, then we will be back to $80+K COE seen just very recently 2 years ago.

post-94507-0-55293000-1487753198_thumb.jpg is this the corolla you are talking about?

although title of thread says car, it eventually ropes in other things. for me, home appliances definitely are much cheaper and better. fridge, washing machine, cooker, etc

Neutral Newbie

There are still people living under bridges whom do not make enough to catch buses. The problem of choice in this case is your privilege. Buying a car has auxiliary advantages despite the cost. Grab and uber (& their promotions) are more economical and most likely makes more sense financially than owning a car. Beyond the financials i will certainly choose to own a car.

Neutral Newbie

There are still people living under bridges whom do not make enough to catch buses. The problem of choice in this case is your privilege. Buying a car has auxiliary advantages despite the cost. Grab and uber (& their promotions) are more economical and most likely makes more sense financially than owning a car. Beyond the financials i will certainly choose to own a car.

Cars are not cheap at all. 

It's liability but save time for the family whom uses it. 

Having a car is luxury and ability to afford it will be up to individual. 

From 2006 ~ 2016, COE range 15K ~ 70K. 

I don't think car can be cheaper but certain models are affordable. 

So.. cheers for those who can afford a can and spend valuable time with family. 

Having a car and using it with family is priceless. 

The car tends to become part of the family. 

-> Like a baby. 

All the best and just take care of the baby / car. Nothing comes cheap but a worthwhile experience. Enjoy the process. 

Hypersonic

The water bottle handphone. [laugh] [laugh]

It was at least $4K then and atas .... owners were so proud to hold it and place on table to show off .. haha
  • Praise 1

It was at least $4K then and atas .... owners were so proud to hold it and place on table to show off .. haha ð Different era.

Yes! Yes! Very atas that time... wahaha
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I agree with you here. Compared 20 years ago, cars are too expensive before. Now, the more you want, the more you have. Car leasing is now already in. I think I will just lease my two favorite car this year, either BMW or Mercedes Benz as final option. Still, looking for the best deal to find. What do you think is the best and cool car for this brand? I will go for a professional look, yet very unique and cool features.  

Edited by carlover80
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Vehicle Info:
Engine Capacity: 1496 cc
Max Power Output: 81.0 kW (108 bhp)
Propellant: Petrol
Colour: Beige

Rebate Info:
COE Expiry: 24 Jan 2018
COE QP Paid: $12,001.00
COE Category: A - Car (1600cc & below)
ARF: $13,929.00
OMV: $12,662

Able to deliver car to you by -June 20th 2017-
Car condition very well taken of, with less than 100,000km of mileage clocked.

Loan fully paid off - No Interest Payment

Scrap value at Jan 24 2018 - $6964 (PARF Rebate Amount)
Current Market Price - $14,000-$18,000 for a 6 months Toyota Axio on Sgcarmmart or mycarforum.

At $13,000, total amount paid for car -> $13,000 - $6964 = $6036
7+ months driving duration Monthly cost - $6036 / 7 = $862 /month

Contact me: 81384258 for more details

post-188249-0-85488200-1492913166_thumb.jpg

post-188249-0-23897200-1492913167_thumb.jpg

post-188249-0-58183300-1492913167_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

With Grab and Uber taking the back seat now in new car registrations, there is a possibility that cat A COE may slide below $40K.

If one is not fussy, mid sized sedans like the Kia Cerato Forte K3 and Hyundai Elantra basic models can be had for  a mere $82K, or the Mitsubishi Attrage for only $76K,  

And  if all you need is 4 wheels, there's even the Perodua Axia hatchback at a down-to-earth $65K or the Perodua Bezza sedan at just $70K. 

Taking inflation into consideration, basic bread and butter cars in uniquely Singapore today are very reasonably priced!   [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

Indeed, many consumer products are getting cheaper and better including car. We shoukd not include COE cost when making this comparison.

now you dont see corroded chasis on the road. it is also sinful to see some being scraped which are in far better condition than those still on the road across the causeway.

• Praise 1

Indeed, many consumer products are getting cheaper and better including car. We shoukd not include COE cost when making this comparison.

now you dont see corroded chasis on the road. it is also sinful to see some being scraped which are in far better condition than those still on the road across the causeway.

i do hope that cars are not totally like many other consumer products.

Most consumer products now are manufactured to last maybe about one-third or less the life span of the same/similar product of 20 yr ago.

My grandmother bought a box fan about 25 yr ago. Till now it's working fine, except my nephew made it drop from height some 10 yr ago, and the rotating grille broke. But the fan motor and other parts all still  [thumbsup]

Those box fans i bought in the last 5-7 yrs, all didn't last >3 yr...

↡ Advertisement