Is alloy wheel recommended for frequent NSHW traveling?

Leo22

Just don't over do things like upgrading to bigger and bigger rims. You get bigger rims means in turn you have to get lower profile tires. Regardless the rims are expensive or cheap going thru a pothole surely they will dent/fracture or break. Big rims only look good in the show room. Practical usage wise you know it cannot withstand  poor road conditions.

What you need are small rims and high profile tires like those found on SUVs and off-road vehicles. Then going thru a pothole will be no worries.

• Praise 1

SSW, inforged, advanti... and other alike, 17".

haven't checked the SG pricing yet, only checked out internet each around USD150-180, so I guess in SG should expect around $250 each? Brands at this price point is it reasonable to expect a good enough peroduct for my use?

Not for flashiness, just hope to get some improved comfort and better fc if possible.

Another noob question, I see all almost the same, besides price and specs to fit, design is just sui bo sui right?

Dunno then scare.

That's why I started this thread. If most advice here is better not, then of course won't change.

Can give some brands considered as Al cheapo aftermarket to avoid?

between the 3 , SSW and Advanti is more reliable to me ( I am talking about Real SSW and Advanti , not just the sticker on the cap)

sorry for not knowing inforged brand well ,cos have seen the wheels finishing is not to my high expectation or cat type.

getting a well know brand wheels usually cost  some money , is the reliable and quality  assurance.

well known brand the Quality can be higher or at least equal = Original equipment rim 

some new wheels fitted on your car may not the Original Factory supplier just for your information.

Steel wheels is not better than Alloy wheels , is just because almost all steels wheels are Original factory fitted.

One more thing is also very important is the tires, please don't invest on wheels and Save money on your tires, between the 2 , tires is more important

just MHO

yep there is alot of brand out there, its not say must be BBS  advan racing. 1 rim cost 1k , then its consider real / orginal rims.

brand like kyowa, RM SSW, rota etc etc, these are orginal rims also. 

as long as they pass all the safety check, have all the necessary marking, its consider safe to use, 

regradless make in pinoy, my, china ,tawian.

its like car, only cars make in japan and europe then consider orginal meh??

but normally ppl change rims to look nice. if u dun care about nice or not.

just refer to F1

does F1 cars use big and lower pofile rims/tyres??

'BTW having good  tyres itself, its many many time more important then having better rims. '

Cheap alloy wheel is fine, unless you hit a pothole or blew up the tyre, like me. Then it may crack and need to be replaced..

I got a Enkei that crack after the tyre exploded.

Then I replaced with 4 cheapo Taiwanese rims that worked fine.

Edited by Kb27

yep there is alot of brand out there, its not say must be BBS  advan racing. 1 rim cost 1k , then its consider real / orginal rims.

as long as they pass all the safety check, have all the necessary marking, its consider safe to use, 

just refer to F1

'BTW having good  tyres itself, its many many time more important then having better rims. '

Forged wheel vs casted wheel

Purity of alloy

Alloy used

The above will determine the strength and weight of aftermarket wheel.

It is nvr about the brand or origin.

F1 tyre size has no relevant to production car.  It has very wide tyre (front: 245; rear: 325) due to its massive power.  On the other hand, the car is very short in height (about 3ft).  No need very tall rim le.

Thanks for adding in. Yes, this is one of the main concern. Worse still if hairline crack after pothole unnoticed then continue up high speed. Possible to happen to 'normal standard' rim?

And appreciate all input and replies here. May I ask much price range is considered acceptable? Is SSW, or MITaiwan brand ok? I am not looking into really cheapo counterfeit, but if really need those high end rims to do the job, I would just stay put with the stock steel wheel. Will be parked at public car park around , don't want high end brand to attract unnecessary attention.

Yup. Exactly. should have said HW plus rough roads plus HW plus highland plus....

Thanks

If I'm not wrong, steel rims will also warp.. sTeel rims technically should be more resilient to warping based on more material mass, but doesn't mean alloy no good.. can also go for a almost similar weight or slightly lighter aluminium alloy rims from reputable wheel manufacturers which should be even stronger than the steel rims.

There is benefits of doing wheel balancing every 7k-10k mileage when doing rotation.. which is to detect rim warping or cracking. So do that if you awant peace of mind

is correct to stay with stock because you are in doubt. 

But how you know your stock wheels is Original ?

No all wheels fitted on your New cars are Original nowadays

Stock wheels are no always

Lighter / stronger / look nicer / cheaper

They Original wheels are tested Strong for that particular car by the Car manufacturer. 

just refer to F1

just to share my views

Kyowa and SSW has its own Plant making the wheels

RM is just a Private label wheels that source from any wheels maker.

As for Passed all the Safety test or check ? sometime I was wondering is the Test a real test? is the Certificate Genuine?  

Even Singapore Authority got cheated by Some Foreign talent providing Fake Certificate.

So how we as consumer know are they Genuine ?

just MHO

↡ Advertisement