Jaguar Xf vs Volvo XC 60

Yogi

Guys,

Just wanted to hear your views regarding these 2 cars.. Definitely aware that it's not Apple to Apple but I am only looking for opinions on 2 areas (1) reliability and (2) cost of ownership.. Both are 5 year old cars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Guys,

Just wanted to hear your views regarding these 2 cars.. Definitely aware that it's not Apple to Apple but I am only looking for opinions on 2 areas (1) reliability and (2) cost of ownership.. Both are 5 year old

I have owned a xc60 T5 for 4 years

- not comfortable. ride is very bumpy

- gearbox problems at 2nd year (under warranty)

- your front tyres don't last more than 1 year (30k km)

• Praise 4

Sounds really bad. Did you have it brand new or was it pre-owned?
  • Praise 1

Guys,

Just wanted to hear your views regarding these 2 cars.. Definitely aware that it's not Apple to Apple but I am only looking for opinions on 2 areas (1) reliability and (2) cost of ownership.. Both are 5 year old cars.

continental car better go for brand new, otherwise it definitely fail you areas: reliability and cost of ownership

• Praise 1

The T5 version 8 speed facelift in comes in 2013 Drive-e version 2014. Which one do you drive?

Of pre face lift 2.0T or T6 with power shift?

I just booked new XC60 it will be change from C180 I drive now, I feel ride is plush not bumpy at all.

Front tires botak is typical FWD car, that's why need to rotate tyre. RWD like C180 tires will wear more evenly front and rear.

As u mentioned, very hard to compare.

Comparisons has to be based on your needs and expectations

5 year old cars, reliability is so variable depending on your luck

XF has 2.0l 3.0l and diesel, XC 60 T5, T6 versions

Depr for both around 14-15kyear for 4-5 year old cars, which is very reasonable considering the cost of brand new cars  

For speed and zipping around town and expressways, the XF will be much more nibble but with less space in the rear

Subjective opinions, volvo xc may potentially give less problems but this is really variable

XF has its usual gearbox aircon etc problems but most of which are wear and tear.

Get a good workshop to check on them, overall for style, speed and nibbleness, xf is better  

Guys,

• Praise 8

I've driven the XF and I'd say the drive is fantastic. The one I owned was the 2.2Diesel from 2012 and the only problem I had was just the standard wear and tear stuff. No major problems noted yet.

• Praise 2

As u mentioned, very hard to compare.

Comparisons has to be based on your needs and expectations

5 year old cars, reliability is so variable depending on your luck

XF has 2.0l 3.0l and diesel, XC 60 T5, T6 versions

Depr for both around 14-15kyear for 4-5 year old cars, which is very reasonable considering the cost of brand new cars  

For speed and zipping around town and expressways, the XF will be much more nibble but with less space in the rear

Subjective opinions, volvo xc may potentially give less problems but this is really variable

XF has its usual gearbox aircon etc problems but most of which are wear and tear.

Get a good workshop to check on them, overall for style, speed and nibbleness, xf is better  

new car depre is just a few k more than the old car. I would go for the new car in this case

The T5 version 8 speed facelift in comes in 2013 Drive-e version 2014. Which one do you drive?

I just booked new XC60 it will be change from C180 I drive now, I feel ride is plush not bumpy at all.

Front tires botak is typical FWD car, that's why need to rotate tyre. RWD like C180 tires will wear more evenly front and rear.

Mine is new car.

T5 (MY2011), 6 speed.

mine was R design, 20" rims.

freaking bumpy.

you are in exact same situation as me. From C180 to XC60.

Comfort level is still C180. But you can't compare this way cause one is a sedan, the other is a SUV

you are in exact same situation as me. From C180 to XC60.

Comfort level is still C180. But you can't compare this way cause one is a sedan, the other is a SUV

Mine is C180 W204 BE Kompressor FL, may be just me I never have opinion that ride comfort is a forte for this model but overall still one of the best and reliable car I ever have. Tried XC 60 few times before committing, it seem XC 60 ride is really on plus plush side and handling will be never comparable to sedan. It seems Volvo sensus is more user friendly than older generation command online installed on my MB C180. Too bad it doesn't come with Apple carplay.

Mine is new car.

T5 (MY2011), 6 speed.

freaking bumpy.

That's means the info from SE is correct, R type suspension is stiff. But no R version available for test drive,

Mine is new car.

T5 (MY2011), 6 speed.

freaking bumpy.

That's means the info from SE is correct, R type suspension is stiff. But no R version available for test drive,

• Praise 1

Actually, any owners of Ranger Rover Evoque here?

Since we are comparing to XC60.. i was looking at a pre-owned low mileage RR Evoque..

Read online the tonnes of problems.. and abit scared to commit.. haha

Thanks for the various valuable comments.... but there seems to be some potential contradictions here as some mentioned the ride on the XC60 is plush while others commented its harsh.... seems to be poles apart unless we are saying that the former were driving the R-design model while the latter were/are driving the standard T5 2.0 model.

I can comment on servicing cost. I am driving a Volvo. Was at a workshop today for servicing, my current workshop specializes in Volvo, Jaguar and some other brands. One of the owners told me they did an analysis, the average bill of Jaguar is way higher vs Volvo.

In terms of parts problem, he also mention that Jaguar in general have more problems. I was there today with 2 Jags there undergoing pretty major repair with another one waiting for parts.

• Praise 3

Test drove the latest xc60 T5 non-R design. IIRC it was on 18"/19". 

Handling is underwhelming and with the soft standard suspension, leans and roll round corners. 

Depends on your definition of plush.... To me plush is only reserve for cars that soak up all road impections without transmitting it into the cabin. XC60's suspnesion and wheel set up seem to absorb most unevenness but at same time unsettles it. 

The discount offered to to me then is not sufficient for me to overlook the lacklustre handling and unrefined engine.  Also the fact that it is an outgoing aging model with replacement in the near horizon. 

Thanks for the various valuable comments.... but there seems to be some potential contradictions here as some mentioned the ride on the XC60 is plush while others commented its harsh.... seems to be poles apart unless we are saying that the former were driving the R-design model while the latter were/are driving the standard T5 2.0 model.

I have owned 2 different XC60s. Non-R and R-design.

The ride of the R-design is harsher and you feel more of the road, but the trade-off is that the drive is excellent. You can change the shocks to Koni FSD shocks, which offers the best of both worlds combined with the R-Design lowered springs.

The non-R variants (or stock) ride pretty well too, and provides a better compromise between comfort and handling. GOod enough for spirited drives, but don't get too aggressive around corners and you'll be fine. Again, changing to the Koni FSD shocks improves the ride and comfort significantly.

I self-imported the Koni FSDs from UK and got them self-installed here. Carried over the FSDs from my first XC60 to the second. No regrets. 

Technology is a little outdated by today standards, but build quality, reliability, comfort and ride are excellent. I drive up north to Perak once every few week for family business, and the XC60s have been an excellent vehicle for the long drives up there and back.

You can also purchase a plug-and-play Racechip from https://www.racechip.eu/ if you want a more aggressive engine tune. The Pro series improves my fuel economy on the NSH as well (as the increased torque and improved torque curve makes it easier for overtaking and getting up to speed). The local shops are charging 5x to 8x of what I paid for my Racechip for no value-add - it only costs me $50 to get the Racechip plugged in and nicely tucked away in the engine bay at my local accessories shop. And since it's plug and play - no tuning required. 

Enjoy the XC60. I'm looking forward to the new generation of XC60s due out soon.

• Praise 5

Test drove the latest xc60 T5 non-R design. IIRC it was on 18"/19".

Handling is underwhelming and with the soft standard suspension, leans and roll round corners.

Depends on your definition of plush.... To me plush is only reserve for cars that soak up all road impections without transmitting it into the cabin. XC60's suspnesion and wheel set up seem to absorb most unevenness but at same time unsettles it.

The discount offered to to me then is not sufficient for me to overlook the lacklustre handling and unrefined engine. Also the fact that it is an outgoing aging model with replacement in the near horizon.

If latest XC60 now running on 20" wheel, even the test car.

Are you same guy last time in Defunct Mazda forum now? I owned first gen Mazda 6 SP hatchback last time.

• Praise 1

I test drove it ard june 2016. If it was already on 20" then that is probably what made the ride worse. I remembered R-Design's wheels are one size larger with a firmer damped suspension that I did not get to test drive. 

I can accept hard firm suspension but it must handle well to make up for it.  I can also accept a soft pliant suspension which understandably and invariably comes with body roll but it cannot have unsettled body control everytime over some uneven road surface.  It is an SUV afterall. Anyway it is just my personal opinion.  Take with pinch of salt since everyone's ride requirement is different. 

There was a road show xc60 R-design in some maroon/red on steep offer to me then which I thought hard for a while.  End up my conclusion was that I will not be able to live with that kind of drive/handling for the next five years.  So I passed on and looked at other competitors.

My first car was a velocity red mz6 hatch. Not sure if I am the same guy you have in mind though....  :D 

If latest XC60 now running on 20" wheel, even the test car.
Are you same guy last time in Defunct Mazda forum now? I owned first gen Mazda 6 SP hatchback last time.

↡ Advertisement