Jaguar Xf vs Volvo XC 60

Yogi

So it looks like it's cheaper to maintain an X60 but one would need to accept it's stiffer/harsher ride.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

There is ways to reduce harshness through a more comfortable shocks like Koni FSD. However, they are not cheap to start with. Should be 2K up.

Then there is also ways to play with rim and tyre size as well as tyre type and tyre pressure.

Maintenance wise, Volvo should be cheaper than Jaguar.

So it looks like it's cheaper to maintain an X60 but one would need to accept it's stiffer/harsher ride.

If you drive an XC60 R-design (stiffer suspension) plus 20 inch rims, your ride will be harsher.  An XF with 20 inch rims will also be harsh despite it being relatively plush (at least the 3.0 NA version). 

Some XC60 owners compensate for the roll by attaching an anti-sway bar at the rear of the car. 

Why don't you go test with your butt? Head to the worse conditioned road you know and drive there.  If you come out shaking  like a leaf, that car is not for you.   [laugh]

Edited by Mason016
  • Praise 1

Actually, any owners of Ranger Rover Evoque here?

Since we are comparing to XC60.. i was looking at a pre-owned low mileage RR Evoque..

Read online the tonnes of problems.. and abit scared to commit.. haha

For RR Evoque, having test driven it I'd say the handling is very good as compare to other Land Rover models. But I heard from one of the SE is that the road noise is quite prominent
  • Praise 1

For RR Evoque, having test driven it I'd say the handling is very good as compare to other Land Rover models. But I heard from one of the SE is that the road noise is quite prominent

YES and not only that.. I am sure none of us want to sit in the rear. too cramp.

• Praise 1

If you drive an XC60 R-design (stiffer suspension) plus 20 inch rims, your ride will be harsher. An XF with 20 inch rims will also be harsh despite it being relatively plush (at least the 3.0 NA version).

Some XC60 owners compensate for the roll by attaching an anti-sway bar at the rear of the car.

Why don't you go test with your butt? Head to the worse conditioned road you know and drive there. If you come out shaking like a leaf, that car is not for you. [laugh]

Haha true! And I think I know just the road to test it on :)

There is ways to reduce harshness through a more comfortable shocks like Koni FSD. However, they are not cheap to start with. Should be 2K up.

Then there is also ways to play with rim and tyre size as well as tyre type and tyre pressure.

I agree. I have also read from the US owners forum that the rim size actually have no impact but 2 psi below recommended pressure did make a difference.

Having upsize my tyres for most if not all my cars so far, I can definitely tell you rim size does have a big impact. When rims go bigger, tyre profile go thinner which means less cushion. Air pressure I think should not go below recommended pressure. Under deflate tyres post safety risk and also possible damage to tyres.

Haha true! And I think I know just the road to test it on :)
I agree. I have also read from the US owners forum that the rim size actually have no impact but 2 psi below recommended pressure did make a difference.

YES and not only that.. I am sure none of us want to sit in the rear. too cramp.

I'm not sure about the rear. Was the driver for the test drive HAHAHAHAHHA! But how is it compared to the XE?

I'm not sure about the rear. Was the driver for the test drive HAHAHAHAHHA! But how is it compared to the XE?

When my boss not in town,i drove his evoque and when he is in town, i am in the back seats along with other staff. so i can tell u super cramp and head roof sucks. XE is not much better too. XF is ok.

I paid less than 1k for my Koni FSD shocks, imported from UK, inclusive of shipping.

Fitting and alignment was around $200.

You just need to do a bit of homework (and legwork) instead of paying the prices asked for by the retailers here.

• Praise 1

I paid less than 1k for my Koni FSD shocks, imported from UK, inclusive of shipping.

Fitting and alignment was around $200.

You just need to do a bit of homework (and legwork) instead of paying the prices asked for by the retailers here.

I did my homework but prefer to pay more for ready stock and also warranty. I use the FSD for my GLi then at $1.5k with install and had 2 leaking rear absorbers within 6 months and had both swop out under warranty. The close to 2k price is quoted for my Volvo by a workshop famous for their chopping board and knife.

I guess I am a typical kiasi buyer who prefer to pay more for a piece of mind.

I test drove it ard june 2016. If it was already on 20" then that is probably what made the ride worse. I remembered R-Design's wheels are one size larger with a firmer damped suspension that I did not get to test drive.

I can accept hard firm suspension but it must handle well to make up for it. I can also accept a soft pliant suspension which understandably and invariably comes with body roll but it cannot have unsettled body control everytime over some uneven road surface. It is an SUV afterall. Anyway it is just my personal opinion. Take with pinch of salt since everyone's ride requirement is different.

There was a road show xc60 R-design in some maroon/red on steep offer to me then which I thought hard for a while. End up my conclusion was that I will not be able to live with that kind of drive/handling for the next five years. So I passed on and looked at other competitors.

My first car was a velocity red mz6 hatch. Not sure if I am the same guy you have in mind though.... :D

I am not sure too but the nick sound a bell, especially I met a lot of Mazda owner in Penang trip organized by Mazda last time. That was 2006, 11 year ago.

My 6 was my second car, then B170-C180 BE FL-XC60 (coming)

I  did not go for Penang trip. But you probably seen some of my posts on the mazda forum previously as I was quite active then.

mz6 hb, legacy GT, w203 c350, lexus gs hybrid, glc on the way.

XC60 is one of the better SUVs I shortlisted just unfortunately did not tick all the boxes I need. Enjoy your new ride!

I am not sure too but the nick sound a bell, especially I met a lot of Mazda owner in Penang trip organized by Mazda last time. That was 2006, 11 year ago.
My 6 was my second car, then B170-C180 BE FL-XC60 (coming)

• Praise 1

GLC was my first option actually but waiting time 9 months with 10k deposit and my trade car also not locked is major inconvenience. Then second choice either Q5 or XC60. Enjoy your new GLC it is a nice car

Neutral Newbie

Not true. I own a new XC60 T5 with 20" wheels. The ride is very comfortable. 

Mine is new car.

T5 (MY2011), 6 speed.

mine was R design, 20" rims.

freaking bumpy.

Nut jobs of Volvo to have this on 20", even Macan is only 18".

Macan has standard option of 21 inches

Macan is "18

Macan S is "18

Macan Turbo is "19

Macan GTS is "20

↡ Advertisement