Lets talk about China history 上下五千年

Yaloryalor

Supercharged

Recently, there's also a rare and interesting report on Singapore's society and economy during WWII, based on the surviving Japanese records. It's rare because we don't know much about the occupation other than those passed down by word of mouth, as most written records were destroyed by the Japanese at the end of the war. It's only S$60, so I might find time to buy and read it. 

Not sure if it is what you are refering to, but I recently read a book from NLB that talks about the SG economy and related items like food supplies and reasons for shortages during Jap occupation.

Was a lot less detailed than I imagined after borrowing it, as it was semi-pictoral. So did not remember much about it.

↡ Advertisement

Ah .. Jonathan Fenby. I read another book of his Modern China Rise and Fall of a Great Power 1850 to Present. Good coverage of politics from the Qing emperor to warlords up to HJT.

I’m impressed with his ability to obtain the detailed order of events and photos. However, I find his touches on Sun Yat Sen a little too brief.

Tiananmen Square protest death toll 'was 10,000' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-42465516

it is very difficult to judge another family from outside. we also won't know what would happen if action were not taken then and how many millions would be affected.

Just imagine today China is in a choas, how many lifes will be affected? who is the biggest winner if china falls? 

it is very difficult to judge another family from outside. we also won't know what would happen if action were not taken then and how many millions would be affected.

Just imagine today China is in a choas, how many lifes will be affected? who is the biggest winner if china falls? 

Just like operation coldstore incarcerated people for their political beliefs (and yes many could have been anti-government).

Let's not muck about the fact that many people were killed then.

Just like the recent allegation that one million Uighurs are currently kept in camps in Xinjiang (which won't surprise me at all).

Many countries have had purges/violent ends to demonstrations. Taiwan also under the military/KMT. 

Korea had it's own.

Edited by Lala81

Just like operation coldstore incarcerated people for their political beliefs (and yes many could have been anti-government).

Let's not muck about the fact that many people were killed then.

Just like the recent allegation that one million Uighurs are currently kept in camps in Xinjiang (which won't surprise me at all).

Many countries have had purges/violent ends to demonstrations. Taiwan also under the military/KMT. 

Korea had it's own.

western propaganda is at work. when they killed civilians in thousands by bombing them from the sky, did they count them? any of the ally objected or even question? 

western propaganda is at work. when they killed civilians in thousands by bombing them from the sky, did they count them? any of the ally objected or even question? 

Israel is killing kids, woman, nurse , journalist every day at palestine at this very moment

how many ppl in sg give a damn??

and yet we are talking about human right for china incident 24 years ago?

not that i like china ,

but this just show how much western propaganda effect us.

• Praise 1

That is war what. China didn't fight wars meh.

This is against your own population leh.

Whether u want to cover it up/put on blinkers like a horse/or whatever, it happened, period.

Israel is killing kids, woman, nurse , journalist every day at palestine at this very moment

how many ppl in sg give a damn??

and yet we are talking about human right for china incident 24 years ago?

not that i like china ,

but this just show how much western propaganda effect us.

Israel is a close singapore ally. We close 1.5 eyeballs. WP's Pritam Singh asked in parliament few years ago. That was epic silliness.

Edited by Lala81

That is war what. China didn't fight wars meh.

This is against your own population leh.

Whether u want to cover it up/put on blinkers like a horse/or whatever, it happened, period.

fighting amongst family members and being bullied and killed by others IS very different. 

The unusual thing is that family members are not only disallowed to discuss or know about it. It is fine to say, it was an unfortunate event when students were manipulated by foreign powers, the party stepped in and did the nasty but unavoidable. OK, let family members read about it and decide, fine it was unfortunate but bad things happen, let's move on and never to repeat it. But no, the event was erased from history like it never ever happened before. 

It's like how the Japanese erased the history of invasion from history, such that their younger family members knows nothing about its existence, and therefore that's nothing to discuss about. It's only in the recent 20 years or so that the Japanese liberals have re-opened the discussions, challenging the Japanese elites' past decisions to go to war.

Until now japan still treat their war criminals as hero.

that is the main different between them and germany.

when their ppl ownself go dig their own history,

they themself more surprise at the finding more then any 1 else.

• Praise 1

This is same as Singapore's approach. Forgive but not forget, be pragmatic. DXP took the same approach at the time he normalise relations with Japan.

Just so you know, despite all the political propaganda, Japan has very very close trade relations with China. Their passport get 30 day visa free entry to China even when they suspended SG's 14 day visa entry during the 2008 Olympics.

Very often, propaganda talk is for own people to see and does not apply to foreign countries.

ya very true, propaganda is for the ppl to see nia.

if the crime and act of japan mean so much to china like wat their ccp keep saying.

then by all mean kick japanese out of china la, break relationship etc etc 

why let japan come china build factory.

in the end money more important then anything else

I think this one happened before some years back ? 劳改营 (labor camp) now in PRC has been renamed to 教养所 (education centre). At that time, the Chinese media made some journalistic investigation into the centre and exposed some torture practices which people didn't think were still in use, the modern Gulag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcJU3h-ME0

different name, same thing.

They recently legalised this education center right? Specifically cos the west now knows about the uighurs being kept in them.