New 2018 VW AhTiong (Arteon)

Mockngbrd

I see a number of people still test drive the Arteon which only attest that there are people who may have a different attitude when it comes to money and looks of a car or lack of it.

I see a number of people still test drive the Arteon which only attest that there are people who may have a different attitude when it comes to money and looks of a car or lack of it.

Arteon ticks a lot of boxes - it is larger and more powerful than the A5 Quattro, and much cheaper.

At 280hp/5.6s its properly quick. And it has a bigger boot, arguably better badge, and definitely a better infotainment system (with VC) than the Stinger. 

So depending on your priorities, I could well see why some would pick the Arteon. 

Maybe the PRCs here feeling homesick...?

Why are there still people joking that the Arteon is built for china and Chinese just bcos the name sounds like a local slang for people from PRC?  Still of tired of this joke meh???  [laugh]

In any case, the Arteon is a good buy comparing specs for specs.  The A5 SB though cheaper is much slower and not even Quattro.  The E class and 5er cost at about 30k and also could not offer this kind of performance.  Somehow the VW badge and scandals (gearbox, scandal, testing) that are linked to this brand are not alluring. 

Why are there still people joking that the Arteon is built for china and Chinese just bcos the name sounds like a local slang for people from PRC?  Still of tired of this joke meh???  [laugh]

In any case, the Arteon is a good buy comparing specs for specs.  The A5 SB though cheaper is much slower and not even Quattro.  The E class and 5er cost at about 30k and also could not offer this kind of performance.  Somehow the VW badge and scandals (gearbox, scandal, testing) that are linked to this brand are not alluring. 

Agreed.

i'm sure there are fans of arteon in singapore. maybe it's less mainstream but certainly a looker. Suitable for someone who wants something different.

I think the VW Passat is a better comparison against the E class and 5er.

Arteon is more towards CLS and 6er gran coupe.

I think the VW Passat is a better comparison against the E class and 5er.

Arteon is more towards CLS and 6er gran coupe.

size wise, yes....closer to CLS and 6er

Price wise, closer to A5 and 4er

Why are there still people joking that the Arteon is built for china and Chinese just bcos the name sounds like a local slang for people from PRC? Still of tired of this joke meh??? [laugh]

In any case, the Arteon is a good buy comparing specs for specs. The A5 SB though cheaper is much slower and not even Quattro. The E class and 5er cost at about 30k and also could not offer this kind of performance. Somehow the VW badge and scandals (gearbox, scandal, testing) that are linked to this brand are not alluring.

The VW badge and scandals are not only UN-alluring, but are big turnoffs for many
  • Praise 1

Haha, coincidentally, somebody posted this today in this thread:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2693178-handed-a-case-letter-to-vw-today-blog-updates/page-109

Toyota is well known for it's reliability ... I guess after your experience with VW, Toyota may be a ideal choice now.

Just my personal opinion regarding the B class ....

- No pick up, drive like a pickup, horrid gear change

- Between A and B Class, I would rather go for A is space is not an issue

- Your Jetta drive better compared to the B

- Maintenance cost will be high for Merc

Jetta is nice car for the price. Just too bad with the issue with the dry clutch.

For sub 100k, I would consider the XV .... the new FL is nice.

Toyota is well known for it's reliability ... I guess after your experience with VW, Toyota may be a ideal choice now.

Just my personal opinion regarding the B class ....

- No pick up, drive like a pickup, horrid gear change

- Between A and B Class, I would rather go for A is space is not an issue

- Your Jetta drive better compared to the B

- Maintenance cost will be high for Merc

Jetta is nice car for the price. Just too bad with the issue with the dry clutch.

For sub 100k, I would consider the XV .... the new FL is nice.

To each his own... for people who appreciate finer stuff in life, Toyota and Nissan are a big turn-off as well.

To each his own indeed.

I don't think people who appreciate finer stuff in life will want a VW. 

[laugh]

• Praise 5

I hope the "strong presence" doesn't mean the car breakdown and obstruct the entire lane on the road. [laugh]

Haha ok la, I'm been driving VW for 10 years liao still haven't encounter major on the road issues. But the usual water pump, fuel pump, and relays just change when needed loh. Also overhauled GB once. All in all still happy with it, that's why i'm onto my 2nd VW now [:p]

• Praise 1

To each his own indeed.

I don't think people who appreciate finer stuff in life will want a VW. 

[laugh]

As the saying tasty food not healthy and healthy food are not tasty.

VW is very much a nice and comfortable to drive and be in in terms of  power, handling, NVH and gadgets (when they are working fine) if you had driven and had sat in one before.  To me they are the "finer things" at a fraction of the cost compared to Merc, BMW and Audi.  It that their reliability needs to be proven.

Having owned 2 Citroens - C4GP and C5 Exclusive, I can also say their design are the "finer things" in life such as the double layer window for noise reduction, sound of the signal lights (low bass tik tok tik tok), closing of the car doors, soft damping of the glove compartment that comes with cooler box, etc.  Toyotas and the Nissans are the "smoother things" in life as they seldom break down as in the general opinion. 

My current ride is a Passat which has been problem free for the past 1.25 years.  I once had a Corolla G9 which I changed in a year because it was involved in an accident which the more than half of bonnet was crumpled and yet the air bag was not even deployed.  Some of the luxury brands for e.g. Range Rover and BMW do break down very often (sorry, this is hear say as I do not own them before) but they are also very desirable.

Apologises if my own perception of "finer things" sounds very weird to you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2