17-year-old boy dies after falling from 4th floor of Orchard

Ender

Actually why cannot say anything bad about the boy? I see people treading lightly when they just slam people in other threads? Is it solely because the fellow is quite young at 17?

↡ Advertisement

Actually why cannot say anything bad about the boy? I see people treading lightly when they just slam people in other threads? Is it solely because the fellow is quite young at 17?

matter of factly.. yes..  empathy...  its really shit wat the father and mother is going tru...  even that lady friend... 

• Praise 1

This person has already paid the ultimate price for his error. What more to say?

• Praise 1

matter of factly.. yes.. empathy... its really shit wat the father and mother is going tru... even that lady friend...

I get this. What I mean is what makes him so different from others? I remember there was one thread where the friend of the victim was laughed out because he requested the forum to be more sensitive.

This person has already paid the ultimate price for his error. What more to say?

I'm not advocating blaming him for no good reason but to identify the cause for the mishap so it can be prevented in the future. Is it due to poor design or idiocy on the part of the victim? (And also how many people are like him)?

There's a saying that if you design something to be idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot.

• Praise 1

I get this. What I mean is what makes him so different from others? I remember there was one thread where the friend of the victim was laughed out because he requested the forum to be more sensitive.

I'm not advocating blaming him for no good reason but to identify the cause for the mishap so it can be prevented in the future. Is it due to poor design or idiocy on the part of the victim? (And also how many people are like him)?

There's a saying that if you design something to be idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot.

hmm.. now that you phrase it this way...  

i think its tacit that people who are saying no to additional signs are saying that the boy is primarily at fault 

and that people who are pro-signs are just more sad that a young life is lost.

not sure abt the thread you were talking about.. but generally.. i think the folks here are not no holds barred type la... (except to hoggers..  [:p] )

it takes until about 20 years old for the frontal cortex to fully develop. That's one of the reasons adolescents can't inhibit themselves as well as older adults.

People who are very self disciplined in their studies since a young age, for example, usually have a more developed frontal cortex. Cos they are constantly inhibiting themselves from enjoying themselves when studying. I guess school athletes who have to do long hours of training. 

They still do reckless stuff too, but at least the hardware is somewhat there lol  [laugh]

Wow, this is interesting.

Then it raises the question of why at 18 yr of age, we were forced to handle explosives and other dangerous stuff?? Looks like the govt/SAF really put us at risk...

[shocked]

• Praise 2

Wow, this is interesting.

Then it raises the question of why at 18 yr of age, we were forced to handle explosives and other dangerous stuff?? Looks like the govt/SAF really put us at risk...

[shocked]

Actually it's about early 20s.

Every armed forces start at 18 year old. Or even earlier in Africa. The younger u are, the easier to shape your behavior.

• Praise 1

Actually it's about early 20s.

Every armed forces start at 18 year old. Or even earlier in Africa. The younger u are, the easier to shape your behavior.

ISIS and South America, lots of child soldiers, not even 12 years old and shooting an AK47. :a-shoot:  [rifle]

• Praise 1

ISIS and South America, lots of child soldiers, not even 12 years old and shooting an AK47. :a-shoot:[rifle]

It's easy to influence kids and teenagers mah. Older soldier has more Brains and can think for themselves.

its an unfortunate incident.. but the reaction cannot be knee-jerk.

The onus of safety lies in education .. from schools.. parents and peers. We are all part of it

following your theory.. can sue the zoo.. for not putting up signs that say.. " tigers/lions can kill do not enter''

there is also this thing called common sense.. its four whole OC stories HIGH

if i follow your thinking.. would you still say there is a need for the sign if it WAS a concrete structure.. but he slipped and fell?

You are missing the point. Nevermind.

Informed consent refers to the taking of medical risk.

If it applies to every kind of risk, then all drivers should sign a consent form before they drive. Same applies to roller coaster rides...and also visitation of my farm for a game of golf. [flowerface]

My bad. It's informed decision.

Informed consent is a contract I normally use with my clients. But I am not in medical sector but social work sector.

"Help me take a Snapchat video and I’ll jump.”

YOLO!!!!! LOLS!!!! 

When will they learn it's actually YODO...  People dont respawn like in the computer games or movies like  Edge of tomorrow/ ground hog days..

• Praise 1

it takes until about 20 years old for the frontal cortex to fully develop. That's one of the reasons adolescents can't inhibit themselves as well as older adults.

People who are very self disciplined in their studies since a young age, for example, usually have a more developed frontal cortex. Cos they are constantly inhibiting themselves from enjoying themselves when studying. I guess school athletes who have to do long hours of training. 

They still do reckless stuff too, but at least the hardware is somewhat there lol  [laugh]

I also thought 20 years is enough for the brain to fully develop.  

Then after watching all the videos of matured adult drivers stepping out of car in the middle of the road to point fingers lah, ah lao uncles brawling kenna stomped lah, well-educated grassroot people acting like aholes lah, I'm no longer sure how long it takes for the brain to really develop.

Edited by Jellandross

I also thought 20 years is enough for the brain to fully develop.

Then after watching all the videos of matured adult drivers stepping out of car in the middle of the road to point fingers lah, ah lao uncles brawling kenna stomped lah, well-educated grassroot people acting like aholes lah, I'm no longer sure how long it takes for the brain to really develop.

My small brain is quite developed :grin:
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2