Submarine museum in Melaka

Adrianli

I dont know. Was never interested in those fighter jets. My focus was the Submarine. [grin]

All the museums in Malacca are well worth a visit.

Have you been to the Naval Museums in town.

One next to the big Portuguese ship that is also worth a visit and the other nearly opposite and next to the revolving tower thingy.

Also the cultural museums and the museums up on the hill.

The Peranakan museum in Jln Tun Tan Cheng Lok is also very good, not as good as the Blue House in Penang though.

↡ Advertisement

One next to the big Portuguese ship that is also worth a visit and the other nearly opposite and next to the revolving tower thingy.

The Peranakan museum in Jln Tun Tan Cheng Lok is also very good, not as good as the Blue House in Penang though.

Yes. All the above museum u mentioned, have visited before. In fact, there are two Peranakan museum there at the same row of shophouses. Been to the one further in.

Even the carrot head trishaw ride + river cruise. Havent tried the duck tour thou.

Unlike Blue House, this museum belongs to descendant of the original owner.  Some of the furniture might be with family home somewhere else.

Cafe 101 next door also belongs to the family.

post-16870-0-19065600-1488248899_thumb.jpg

There were bus loads of malaysians visiting but as you can see from my interior photos, no ppl one. Not much ppl interested in the interior workings of a submarine. Most ppl just take photo of the exterior only. They dont bother climbing the stairs and visit the interior.

Really nice to see one in real life. It is the one and only one here in SEA. RSN should do something like that for the decommissioned ships and submarine.

I think if there is such museum in sg, sooner or later it will closed down cause dont think many people are interested lo. Lol.

I think if there is such museum in sg, sooner or later it will closed down cause dont think many people are interested lo. Lol.

Have you been to the Naval Museum in SG? The one next to Changi Naval Base. Free entry. Got many naval stuff to see but it lacks the attraction of a physical warship. I believe if there is real ships and submarines on site for visit, sure can attract many visitors.

Look at the navy open house, ship tours are always full house. Even for open house at vivo city where public can tour the ships, also full house with long queues.

We need a physical real ship and not some mock up with styrofoam. <_<

On Penang. The Penang Peranakan museum along Jalan Gereja (Church Street) is even better than Blue Mansion. Very elaborate furnishings, and a dedicated jewellery section. Included guided tours leave every 15 minutes. Admission fee RM42 for Peranakan, RM12 for Blue Mansion.

Original owner of the Penang Peranakan Musueum was Chung Ah Kwee. He made his fortune with the triads, tin mines, selling opium and providing other vices.  Museum is eye opening on the opulent lifestyle, and wealth of the super rich vs coolies. 

Probably America's Cup ? It was funded by local boy Alan Bond and the winning yacht was on display at Fremantle I think. The win was quite a big deal to both Western Australia and Australia.

Arh yes, the museum is in Fremantle.

The yacht was too big, hence difficult to take a good photo showing everything.

But here's one try:

post-17508-0-02976900-1488253716_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Never been to Perth.

Would like to visit the Maritime Museum there if I am there.

Yup it likely will be of interest.

Just be careful about parking if you drive there. I have an outstanding summon pending re-appeal...  [sweatdrop]

Here's a photo of the submarine as taken from within the museum. Can't capture the whole sub as the windows is not big enough.

Plus one more photo of the museum that will give some little idea of what they have on display. Few pics without my family, so only found one so-so one...

post-17508-0-78754500-1488254110_thumb.jpg

post-17508-0-96322900-1488254149_thumb.jpg

On Penang. The Penang Peranakan museum along Jalan Gereja (Church Street) is even better than Blue Mansion. Very elaborate furnishings, and a dedicated jewellery section. Included guided tours leave every 15 minutes. Admission fee RM42 for Peranakan, RM12 for Blue Mansion.

Original owner of the Penang Peranakan Musueum was Chung Ah Kwee. He made his fortune with the triads, tin mines, selling opium and providing other vices.  Museum is eye opening on the opulent lifestyle, and wealth of the super rich vs coolies. 

Yep been to that one as well.

More stuff on show than the Blue Mansion but I do like the Blue Mansion better because of how they explain the Feng Shui of the house and the exhibits.

You can also stay there as well.  Although we haven't tried that yet.

Have you been to the Naval Museum in SG? The one next to Changi Naval Base. Free entry. Got many naval stuff to see but it lacks the attraction of a physical warship. I believe if there is real ships and submarines on site for visit, sure can attract many visitors.

Look at the navy open house, ship tours are always full house. Even for open house at vivo city where public can tour the ships, also full house with long queues.

RSN should have kept one of the retired missile gunboats for the museum... i would go visit..  

RSN should have kept one of the retired missile gunboats for the museum... i would go visit..  

They are replacing the current fleet of PV(Patrol Vessels) with the new LMV. I hope they keep one.

There is one MCV(Missile corvette) being kept high and dry. I hope they move it to the museum. Thatz the very vessel I spent 5 years of my life onboard. Will be very very happy to get to visit it again.

Ya I agree.  Wahahahahahah

Yes. All the above museum u mentioned, have visited before. In fact, there are two Peranakan museum there at the same row of shophouses. Been to the one further in.

Even the carrot head trishaw ride + river cruise. Havent tried the duck tour thou.

Dun try the duck tour!  Its a waste of time!  Our singapore duck tour is so much interesting than theirs.

My review in tripadvisor:

I took the duck tour with my family and i find it bored. The duck tour guide speaks only Malaysia and little English. I do not understand what is he trying to say at all as I do not understand Malay. The route was boring. I find it a waste of time and money. And my hubby he actually slept during the tour as he felt bored.

Don't waste your time.

Never been to naval museum and i didnt even know there is such museum? Lol.

Dun try the duck tour!  Its a waste of time!  Our singapore duck tour is so much interesting than theirs.

My review in tripadvisor:

I took the duck tour with my family and i find it bored. The duck tour guide speaks only Malaysia and little English. I do not understand what is he trying to say at all as I do not understand Malay. The route was boring. I find it a waste of time and money. And my hubby he actually slept during the tour as he felt bored.

Don't waste your time.

Thanks!!! Would give it a miss then.

Have taken the duck tours in SG before already. In SG, the guide will explain the places of interest and play games with customers to keep us entertained the whole ride.