VW Golf 2017

therock

It's a replacement for my wife's saab combi. Utility will be taken over by my glc. 

A hot hatch is more than sufficient for her daily usage and for my weekend fun. Don't really need a blazing track ready hatch. 

Myself almost got a used Golf  R32 8yrs ago if not for the shady dealer. Ended up with a used c350.  

Owned a mini cooper s cabriolet before too... So know the fun that can be had with just the cooper s. JCW will be too raw based on what i saw in online reviews. 

So yeah...2nd best is good enough.. Lol

Why not get the golf R? Lol how come settle for 2nd best.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

thats quite outstanding

Any impression overtaking from 120 to 160km.h

I always worry about those tour coach hugging my rear

Overtaking ramping up from 120 up to 180 is pretty fast... 

the mecha unit consist of cpu, sensors, actuators and some other parts. Actually, the dry dual clutch is more like a manual transmission than the wet clutch. 

it doesn't sound logical that heat from the clutch causes the mecha unit to fail. The mecha itself is a self contained unit. if anything, it's more likely the heat within the mecha itself is causing the breakdown for whatever reason. 

it could help if gearbox fluids are replaced regularly, ard 40k. not sure if vw recommends such things. 

lastly, vw isn't the only car that uses dual clutch currently. Alfa uses it too. haven't really heard of any mecha unit issues. i know the gearbox manufacturers are different. but then, Getrag makes for lambo as well so it can't be tat bad. 

Audi says lifetime dun need change gearbox oil... Lol

• Praise 1

in another way its true la.

when gearbox fail, they make u replace a new gearbox only

(of course with new gearbox oil inside)

so u lifetime dun need change the oil

instead life time change gearbox [lipsrsealed]

in another way its true la.

when gearbox fail, they make u replace a new gearbox only

(of course with new gearbox oil inside)

so u lifetime dun need change the oil

instead life time change gearbox [lipsrsealed]

Under warranty change gearbox still ok... worst case is downtime... After warranty it's the risk there... How many times wanna change sia?

Why not get the golf R? Lol how come settle for 2nd best.

Golf R kena $20k CEVS surcharge

And the GTI still looks better

So life as VP isn't too bad

• Praise 2

Golf R kena $20k CEVS surcharge

And the GTI still looks better

So life as VP isn't too bad

The new golf R is good.

Just not 221K good. More of 170 to 180K good kind of price

• Praise 1

audi is right. The lifetime of the gearbox. Then time to pay for a new one

Don't say ah. In Oz, can get GTI for less than WRX....knn

If VCS price it similar to WRX in SG, it'll be a top seller

https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-golf-gti-original-available-to-order-116142

GTi specs wise in australia is different

Plus the tax in SG is crazy X2.25

So if you add xenon lights. Sunroof and all those wonderful stuff. Easily out price the WRX.

But have you sat in a WRX and a GTi and just on the quality alone, you still want to have the WRX ?

Or you find that GTi is still a better all rounder build car?

In fact, in australia, you can get a poverty specs merc A Class cheaper than a Mazda 3.

If its singapore, its going to be a best seller

Edited by Sdf4786k

nice article about Golf 7. But obviously seems like a bias review.

https://drivetribe.com/p/why-i-went-from-bmw-to-vw-PYZLdKuXQEuOemj9jBjLcw?iid=As3TQekLT7-zyGEx6rgwuQ

Alright, so I want to start out by thanking some vocal members of the MK7 Facebook group for giving some insights before I dive into this article. Without them, I wouldn't have nearly the insights. So let's start out with some definitions. What is a performance car? Why not sports car? Well, I think a sports car is made up of "driver focused, 2-door, 2-seater, not just quick--but a focus on feel by being light and well-balanced." (Thanks Aaron). To me, a performance car is the same things, but without the constraint of 2-door, 2-seater. So, a broader definition. This means things like a BMW 3-Series or a Audi A4 should also be considered performance cars. Yes, they are luxury performance cars, but performance cars nonetheless.

Now that we have that...why are they dying? For me I take a trip down memory lane, looking at some older BMW's. Think of the E36 M3, when it came out it was praised as one of the best handling cars. The E46 followed suit and got rid of that atrocious interior. Even the USDM M3 now had ITB's. Yay! But more than that, if you've driven one, you know the focus. The steering feel. The body roll. The response. The turn in. The balance. A big part of that balance was the weight, 50/50 distribution (or close to on most 3-series variants). Additionally, they weren't THAT heavy. With the E36 M3 ~3200lbs and the E46 M3 ~3400lbs.

So the E90 and F30 M3's are still performance cars right? Well? Are they? One of the things we said defined a sports car, and thus performance car (God I hate getting hung up on these definitions), is weight. Driver feel. Let's take a look at some numbers first. With the DCT, an E90 and F30 weigh in at 3583 and 3439lbs respectively. That's not exactly a light car anymore. They're definitely quick, having upwards of 400hp, but, how about the rest of the categories?

Look, I can't speak for an F30 M3, I haven't driven one. But I've spent a lot of time in an E90 M3, and while a great GT car, I don't know if it has that same driver's feel. That agility. The nimbleness. The stiff chassis. Did you know, during testing of the E90 they has far less structural bracing? Well, it turned out this was so much of a problem, the windshield cracked during testing because the chassis itself was flexing so much. Yeah, wow. Now they "fixed" that with bracing, but, a lot of cars (insert JDM goodness here) are that stiff WITHOUT bracing.

Now what's really stupid is let's take a look at my current steed, a Mk7 GTI. It's a 2 door, albeit 4 seater, but 2 door. It's relatively light, at just a hair over 3000lbs. The chassis is unbelievably stiff. No seriously, it poops on my E36 BMW, even after chassis bracing. It's got reasonable power. And most importantly, the driver feedback. The steering on the GTI so freaking tight and responsive.

You probably think I'm crazy, in some sense, saying a GTI is more of a driver oriented car than an M3. And in many ways, your right! But also, an E90 M3 and my GTI cost about the same amount of money (one new, one used, but still an undeniable fact!). And I don't think many people considered E90 M3's against their GTI's. I can't blame them, I wouldn't either except for the fact that I have vast experience driving an E90.

So what's my point here, what's my take away?

BMW lost it. They stopped building car for the driver, and started building cars for the consumer. They make stuff that looks aggressive, but drives like anything else. It's a generic, unpassionate feel. It's not just the car that the gentleman with the bluetooth ear piece buys, the car that's BUILT for the gentleman with the bluetooth ear piece. Somehow, in the midst of this craziness, VAG group woke up and realized they should stop making generic good cars, and make some great cars. For me, the Mk7 is one of those. And while it doesn't do EVERYTHING right (hey it's wrong-wheel-drive), it sure does do a lot things right. So that's why I switched from BMW to VW.

Becoz we all live in the real world, not on the track.

Clarkson's obviously a Golf fan too. Think he owns the Mk7 GTI as a daily driver

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/the-clarkson-review-volkswagen-golf-mk7-2013/

I suppose you are right.

In the real world, we want our kids to be in a SAP school and cars needs to have a degree of atas-ness.

I dont think its brand whore but more of brand magnet and the lack of a need to say the obvious when its a 3 pointed star or the 4 rings.

Just that beyond a doubt you may need to work harder to carry the brand association to the next level when you are perceived the lifestyle image with what the brand is linked with.

Edited by Sdf4786k

I suppose you are right.

In the real world, we want our kids to be in a SAP school and cars needs to have a degree of atas-ness.

I dont think its brand whore but more of brand magnet and the lack of a need to say the obvious when its a 3 pointed star or the 4 rings.

Just that beyond a doubt you may need to work harder to carry the brand association to the next level when you are perceived the lifestyle image with what the brand is linked with.

Let's not fool ourselves w the entry-level badges bought on high overtrades Edited by Soya

Let's not fool ourselves w the entry-level badges bought on high overtrades

well, there are people who see value in 3 cylinders 1.0 Audi A2 for its SUV like quality.

And the justification is, "its not required to be fast. As long as I like it , its okey .."

So, as much as buying a car because of its functional aspect, some have gone on the Affordable face and image more important than a similar price car that is way better equipe route.

And who is to question one on the merit of what you need vs what you desire.

I suppose sometimes its like getting second best can be better than getting none.

To each his own.

↡ Advertisement