Renault Alpine A110

Sdf4786k

Something to compete against the likes of the more establish brand

Renault Alpine A110

light weight at 1080 with 1.8 T, seems very Alfa kind of formula 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

EVERYTHING WAS AWESOME!!!! Until ..... no manual.... fail....  just like the 4C (sales flop)

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

EVERYTHING WAS AWESOME!!!! Until ..... no manual.... fail....  just like the 4C (sales flop)

4C was quite impractical with a sealed bonnet and hard ride.

Handling was great. But on day to day, a bit questionable.

Technology wise, carbon fiber tub. light weight and strong. whats there not to like.

• Praise 1

4C was quite impractical with a sealed bonnet and hard ride.

Handling was great. But on day to day, a bit questionable.

Technology wise, carbon fiber tub. light weight and strong. whats there not to like.

No manual, so ppl looking for cars in that segment still went with the Elise/Boxster/Gaymen.

Now this Alpine also. Doomed. 

Supercharged

some say is Cayman competitor...but it's sooo fugly!

such a shame they had to ruin the front with those rally-lights-esque lights.

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 1

I need one of these in my life... even if it's only automatic

if i had the $$$, i'll take this over a cayboxster. But NEEDS to be blue

alpine-a110.jpg?itok=KxLoAUlu

Will be super cool if they can make a front spotlight rally style mount + throw on some deep dish wheels.... yum yum. dream car. 

Edited by Mockngbrd

Not quite that much drama when I did the test drive. I was not familiar enough with car and there was to much traffic to drift her. But excitment was on par with that of the copilote!

Had a test drive at a Wearnes this evening - well, technically last evening, since I'm writing this a little past midnight.

Didn't take any photos since I did that at the car show (even though that was an LHD unit), but the car is still a stunner in blue. Absolutely love this colour on the car.

Ergonomics-wise, the seating position in the bucket seat is way too high for me. My eyes are nearly level with the top of the windscreen. It is not vertically adjustable by the user, but they said they could fix it lower for me were I to buy it. The horizontal adjustment and steering adjustments are absolutely fine. Driving position is not unlivable, though I expect that the height issue would eventually drive me a little crazy if it weren't taken care of. They may also be bringing in the fully adjustable seat, but that will likely weigh a lot more.

The car makes all the right sounds, and the pops, crackles and trills from the exhaust are quite endearing. I am assured that this is real sound, though I have my doubts.

The car was reasonably spritely off the line. It doesn't exactly have a towering power rating, but the lower weight does work in its favour. Nice nippy little car, not exactly something I would consider really fast, but certainly something I could have fun in while not risking my licence. In Normal mode, the car upshifts for you really early.In Sport mode (the selector button is very conveniently located right on the steering, at the five o' clock position), the shifts are delayed significantly. There's also a manual mode you can apparently engage by holding down the D(rive) button, but the salesperson didn't see to know this (and I hadn't watched detailed youtube videos beforehand so as not to prejudice myself). However, he did show me the Track mode (not sure if that's what they call it, but that's pretty much what it is). That's engaged by holding down the Sport button on the steering. You get a horizontal rev counter with shift indicators and the digital rpm count is also nicely displayed. The shift behaviour completely changes - in this mode, the car will bounce off the limiter as a proper track car should (in other modes, the car forces an upshift at most at redline). There's also a cute touch with angle readings to the left and right that show you the steering angle just in case the blue stripe at 12 o' clock should prove insufficient for your needs - though I cannot fathom ever actually being able to use this feature on a track since the readings are so small and practically illegible even in normal driving conditions. The stability control is also muted in Track mode. I did most of the test drive in this mode. The fixed, column-mounted paddle shifts were nice and crisp and easy to actuate.

The little levers in the center console seem very Lambo inspired, and I thought they were a nice touch.

Handling-wise, I couldn't really give it a proper shake-down. Traffic just wasn't cooperating, and every time I wanted to give it the beans in a turn, there would be some laggard in front of me. Oh well. It felt well-balanced for what it's worth, but I have to be honest and say that I couldn't fully evaluate this aspect of the drive.

Let's see, what else - luggage space is practically non-existent in the rear (you can get a large handbag in there, and that's about it). The front compartment is more usable in terms of two dimensional layout, but seemed a little shallow. The mid-rear mounted engine is very modestly covered and impossible to gawk at, so that's mildly disappointing. I did take the opportunity to reverse park the car, and it was a doddle, it's so tiny. No reverse camera, it doesn't need it.

Now for the fly in the ointment. They're asking for something like 285k inclusive of COE. Rather steep, but I think it's more attractively priced than the similarly powered Lotus Elise S models when they were on sale brand new.

Would I have preferred a manual in this car? Maybe, but the ergonomics might have been tricky for me. I tried simulating a foot pivot (heel-toe), and my knee immediately knocked into the steering. If I can't heel toe, there's no point in driving a manual. Given the nice feel of the 7 speed DCT, I don't think the car loses anything in the engagement department with it.

The other thing that gave me a bit of pause is the rumoured 300 (well, 296) hp version that's supposed to come out later this year. And there's a spyder version too. Might be worth waiting for.

So: overall, a nice little car that's perfectly suited for B road drives and the occasional track day. And a car you can actually have fun with on the daily commute without worrying about your licence. But there may be better specced versions on the near horizon.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Had a test drive at a Wearnes this evening - well, technically last evening, since I'm writing this a little past midnight.

Didn't take any photos since I did that at the car show (even though that was an LHD unit), but the car is still a stunner in blue. Absolutely love this colour on the car.

Ergonomics-wise, the seating position in the bucket seat is way too high for me. My eyes are nearly level with the top of the windscreen. It is not vertically adjustable by the user, but they said they could fix it lower for me were I to buy it. The horizontal adjustment and steering adjustments are absolutely fine. Driving position is not unlivable, though I expect that the height issue would eventually drive me a little crazy if it weren't taken care of. They may also be bringing in the fully adjustable seat, but that will likely weigh a lot more.

The car makes all the right sounds, and the pops, crackles and trills from the exhaust are quite endearing. I am assured that this is real sound, though I have my doubts.

The car was reasonably spritely off the line. It doesn't exactly have a towering power rating, but the lower weight does work in its favour. Nice nippy little car, not exactly something I would consider really fast, but certainly something I could have fun in while not risking my licence. In Normal mode, the car upshifts for you really early.In Sport mode (the selector button is very conveniently located right on the steering, at the five o' clock position), the shifts are delayed significantly. There's also a manual mode you can apparently engage by holding down the D(rive) button, but the salesperson didn't see to know this (and I hadn't watched detailed youtube videos beforehand so as not to prejudice myself). However, he did show me the Track mode (not sure if that's what they call it, but that's pretty much what it is). That's engaged by holding down the Sport button on the steering. You get a horizontal rev counter with shift indicators and the digital rpm count is also nicely displayed. The shift behaviour completely changes - in this mode, the car will bounce off the limiter as a proper track car should (in other modes, the car forces an upshift at most at redline). There's also a cute touch with angle readings to the left and right that show you the steering angle just in case the blue stripe at 12 o' clock should prove insufficient for your needs - though I cannot fathom ever actually being able to use this feature on a track since the readings are so small and practically illegible even in normal driving conditions. The stability control is also muted in Track mode. I did most of the test drive in this mode. The fixed, column-mounted paddle shifts were nice and crisp and easy to actuate.

The little levers in the center console seem very Lambo inspired, and I thought they were a nice touch.

Handling-wise, I couldn't really give it a proper shake-down. Traffic just wasn't cooperating, and every time I wanted to give it the beans in a turn, there would be some laggard in front of me. Oh well. It felt well-balanced for what it's worth, but I have to be honest and say that I couldn't fully evaluate this aspect of the drive.

Let's see, what else - luggage space is practically non-existent in the rear (you can get a large handbag in there, and that's about it). The front compartment is more usable in terms of two dimensional layout, but seemed a little shallow. The mid-rear mounted engine is very modestly covered and impossible to gawk at, so that's mildly disappointing. I did take the opportunity to reverse park the car, and it was a doddle, it's so tiny. No reverse camera, it doesn't need it.

Now for the fly in the ointment. They're asking for something like 285k inclusive of COE. Rather steep, but I think it's more attractively priced than the similarly powered Lotus Elise S models when they were on sale brand new.

Would I have preferred a manual in this car? Maybe, but the ergonomics might have been tricky for me. I tried simulating a foot pivot (heel-toe), and my knee immediately knocked into the steering. If I can't heel toe, there's no point in driving a manual. Given the nice feel of the 7 speed DCT, I don't think the car loses anything in the engagement department with it.

The other thing that gave me a bit of pause is the rumoured 300 (well, 296) hp version that's supposed to come out later this year. And there's a spyder version too. Might be worth waiting for.

So: overall, a nice little car that's perfectly suited for B road drives and the occasional track day. And a car you can actually have fun with on the daily commute without worrying about your licence. But there may be better specced versions on the near horizon.

Thanks for the very detail review

Really envy your job.

Just curious what is the RRP?

In this price range what other cars will be its nearest competition?

Edited by TeamAMG69
  • Praise 2

Thanks for the very detail review

Really envy your job.

Just curious what is the RRP?

In this price range what other cars will be its nearest competition?

Prob the 718 Cayman?

• Praise 2

i wait 10 years... or maybe Supra instead bah. 

Edited by Mockngbrd