The continuing GLOBAL stressful thread! Part II

RadX

The idea is good.

Problem comes with the price tag of $4.7M and the government wanting to take it back either by sub contracting out to vendors or just calculating how many years they need before recouping the outlay.

Even if my bike costs $1000 I also will not pay close to $600 a year.

Would you pay premium of $60,000 to insure a car you bought at $100,000?

I really fear for our country when the policy makers dun even understand simple logic.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Rubbish dump S$500K

Bicycle parking system S$4.7m

The Contractors who got these projects really laughing kor

==============================

Fully automated underground bicycle parking launched in Singapore [Channel NewsAsia] SecureMyBike was launched on 5 January 2018 at Kampung Admiralty.

06 Jan 2018 Channel NewsAsia

Listen

automated_bike_parking.jpgAutomated Bike Parking

Residents in the Woodlands precinct now have another option when parking their bicycles - one that will keep them from being stolen or getting wet when it rains.

A S$4.7 million underground bicycle parking system, called SecureMyBike, was launched on Friday (Jan 5) at Kampung Admiralty, an integrated residential complex next to Admiralty MRT station.

It is Singapore's first fully automated underground bicycle parking system.

The move is part of the Land Transport Authority's (LTA) efforts to encourage more people to take up cycling for commuting.

Cyclists have to set up an account at the registration kiosks, which is located behind the parking facility. A pin number will be sent to their mobile phones after registration, which they can use to deposit and retrieve their bicycles.

After entering their pin number at the parking kiosk, a door will open for cyclists to push their bicycles into a cell and bicycles will move down an underground cylindrical shaft.

There are three separate cylindrical shafts, which can store about 500 bicycles combined.

Each shaft, which has seven levels, extends 10m underground.

Among the residents who tried out the system on Friday include 55-year old Anna Lian.

Ms Lian, who lives in the neighbourhood, said she normally cycles to do her grocery shopping.

She is pleased at the security the system provides. âWe wonât lose our bicycles,â said the supermarket packer.

Muhd Khairul Ihsan, who cycles to Admiralty MRT Station in order to take a train to school, also said that he feels more secure with this new system.

âI don't feel comfortable parking my bike outside because many people can steal it,â the ITE student said, adding that he had a bicycle stolen in 2012.

In addition to parking their bicycles, cyclists can also store other cycling gear such as helmets in the cells.

For security reasons, though, three sensors have been installed to ensure proper use of the system. These include a weight sensor to ensure each storage unit is not loaded beyond its limit of 35kg, a motion sensor to detect moving objects, and a sensor that recognises metal parts of bicycles.

As part of the trial, the service will be free for users up until Jan 31.

From Feb 1 to Apr 30, they will be charged either S$22 per month for unlimited usage or S$0.25 per hour.

After Apr 30, monthly rates will increase to S$48, while hourly rates will be S$0.45.

Mdm Lian said that the price is reasonable. âIf I just need to use for a few hours and then I return, it's okay,â she said.

But it was a different story for Khairul. âIt's too expensive for one month. If S$48 for a year, easier so that I can pay,â the 16-year-old said.

LTA did not specify when the trial would end, except that it will review the take-up rate before deciding whether it will build more of such facilities in other parts of Singapore.

The price might also be adjusted, depending on the response of the public.

The trial was initially scheduled to be rolled out in early 2017, but was delayed for further testing by the supplier Biceberg and also due to delays in the Kampung Admiralty project.

instead of spending our hard earn tax dollars from cars, they throw money in building bicycle sheds, they not even supportive of rental shared bike,

either they got too much money or don't know how to use

• Praise 1

instead of spending our hard earn tax dollars from cars, they throw money in building bicycle sheds, they not even supportive of rental shared bike,

either they got too much money or don't know how to use

And still want to increase GST to waste more money. of our money.  [thumbsdown]  [mad]

This kind of money can be used on something more useful like buying more buses to improve bus frequencies, improve badly designed roads, or even for non transport context, build more hospital facilities for the aging population.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 3

actually HDB has also constructed automatic MSCPs for cars in a couple of locations in SG, i know Changi Village has one. they are charging normal HDB parking rates leh. maybe MOT smaller budget as compared to MND?

my peasant bike only cost me $80...

why do i want to pay $48/month for its secure parking?

ð

Sifi....

Let's say 5% yearly maintenance cost on that 4.7 mil. 235k can buy almost 3000 of your 80 dollar bike leh

First World problem?

After outcry, CES sponsor says more women will be heard at confab

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2018-women-keynotes-speakers/

The Consumer Technology Association says it wants to "expand women's voices" at the major trade show. The group had been chastised on social media.

The organizer of CES, one of tech's biggest trade shows, says it's ramping up its attempts to give women a voice at the conference, after being criticized for the lack of female keynote speakers at this year's show.

In a letter Friday to the founder of a nonprofit focused on gender diversity, the Consumer Technology Associationsaid it was committed to changing the status quo and would "redouble ...efforts to expand women's voices throughout the conference and as featured speakers" at next year's CES. It also said two women will be among the panelists for one of the featured discussions at this year's event.

"Diversity matters," the letter says, "because to shape the future we need to engage people of different backgrounds filled with creative influences. Diversity is key to innovation."

The letter comes after critics, including Gina Glantz, founder of the nonprofitGender Avenger, began attacking the CTA late last year over the all-male keynote lineup announced for CES 2018, which kicks off next week in Las Vegas.

In November, Gender Avenger posted an "action alert" about the sexually skewed lineup. That was followed by tweets from various executives, including Brad Jakeman, former president of the Global Beverage Group at PepsiCo; Leslie Berland, chief marketing officer at Twitter; Kristin Lemkau, CMO at JPMorgan Chase; and Antonio Lucio, Global CMO at HP. The hashtag #CESSoMale also began focusing attention on the situation.

"You have prompted a meaningful dialogue about the issue of gender visibility at CES 2018," the CTA says in its letter to Glantz.

The response also follows a year that saw an unprecedented focus on diversity and sexism. In society at large, the #MeToo movement caught fire, raising questions about gender and power. And in Silicon Valley, where companies are largely dominated by men, the so-called brogramming culture was highlighted byharassment scandals at Uber and in the venture capital community.

In August, an outcry arose after the spread of a memo by a Google employee that said low numbers of women in tech aren't the result of rampant sexism but biology. Google fired the author of the memo, and in October there were noticeably more women on stage at one of the company's big product launches.

In a December blog post, the CTA said the keynote situation at CES 2018 resulted from the reality of the tech industry.

"To keynote at CES," the blog said, "the speaker must head (president/CEO level) a large entity who has name recognition in the industry. As upsetting as it is, there is a limited pool when it comes to women in these positions. We feel your pain. It bothers us, too. The tech industry and every industry must do better."

Glantz said at the time, however, that it was up to the CTA to adjust its requirements to give women and others more visibility.

"They set the criteria," Glantz told AdAge, "and if its result is all white men, then they need to rethink their criteria to ensure they have innovative, smart, different ... perspectives on their stage of women and of people of color."

As of this writing, the keynote speakers for CES 2018 are Intel CEO Brian Krzanich, Huawei Consumer Business Group CEO Richard Yu and Ford Motor Company CEO Jim Hackett. In addition, there are three featured panel discussions.

One, which considers the future of TV, is made up of two male panelists and a male moderator. Another, which looks at cutting-edge mobile tech, features three male panelists and a female moderator. The third, about video, features six male panelists, a female moderator, and two female panelists, A+E Networks CEO Nancy Dubuc, whom the CTA mentions in the Friday letter, and 605 CEO Kristan Dolan, who's mentioned in the letter as a potential participant and who on Saturday afternoon showed up on the page for the event.

In an emailed statement, the CTA pointed to its past record regarding featured presenters.

"We're proud of our record in welcoming a diversity of speakers to the CES keynote stage, including General Motors CEO Mary Barra, Xerox CEO Ursula Burns, IBM CEO Ginni Rometty, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, JP Morgan Chase CMO Kristen Lemkau and Johnson and Johnson Global CMO Alison Lewis, just to name a few," said Karen Chupka, the CTA's senior vice president, CES and corporate business strategy.

Glantz said in a tweet that the CTA's Friday letter was encouraging but that in regard to next year's show, action would speak louder than words.

It's "a start," Glantz wrote. "Looking forward to "meaningful dialog" translating into action in 2019."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a day earlier...

No lead women speakers in CES 2018

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/technology/in-other-news/060118/no-lead-women-speakers-in-ces-2018.html

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

Sifi....

Let's say 5% yearly maintenance cost on that 4.7 mil. 235k can buy almost 3000 of your 80 dollar bike leh ð

500 bikes, 48 per month for 12 months is 288k.

I forsee that they won't even collect enough revenue for maintenance (I estimate at 5-10% of system cost).

wah your annual maintenance capex very high hor?

5% of capital yearly

Edited by Enye

High meh? I wasn't the one doing the budget in my previous company but around 5-10% was allocated for their critical machinery. I reckon this bike thing cannot be allowed to break down otherwise citizens will cry mother cry father about how 5 mil dollars is being thrown down the drain.

What's a reasonable % in your view?

dunno...maybe you ask google?

:D