Need your suggestions on purchasing a used Audi A4

Mrlancergtx

Dear Forummers,

Apologies if there is already a thread for asking such questions, but I need some help. 

I am looking at purchasing a used Audi A4 1.8 L and the price quoted by the dealer is  68800. The car is a single owner car with 66K mileage on the Odo and OMV of 36,062 and COE of 43290.

I am wondering if the price quoted is reasonable. I also saw a similar car quoted at 60,800 but the mileage on the ODO for the car is 107,000 so am thinking of getting the one with the lower mileage.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Mods: Please move this thread / merge the thread in the appropriate topic if there is already a topic/thread existing on this topic.

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

The question is never about reasonable or not. Coz in Singapore car prices new or used can only be described as ridiculous.

The question in your case is whether the odo has been tempered with or not. And that answer to that question is most likely yes unless you are not buying from a used car dealer but a direct owner.

I hope you get what we are trying to tell you. Good luck.

The question is never about reasonable or not. Coz in Singapore car prices new or used can only be described as ridiculous.

The question in your case is whether the odo has been tempered with or not. And that answer to that question is most likely yes unless you are not buying from a used car dealer but a direct owner.

Thanks bro. To answer your points, I looked at this particular car at a dealer. I perfectly get your point  on ODO being tampered.

To mitigate the risk, I intend to

1. Get the car inspected by AAS to ensure that there are no major parts that are breaking down soon or would need replacement.

2. Allocate a significant budget to have the car serviced/ all required parts replaced (assuming the mileage is tampered).

With this in mind, would the price quoted (68,800) be considered as "carroted" for a car with OMV of 36,xxx and has about 3 and half years left?

Cheers,

The car has about 3 years and 6 months left - about 6 years and 6 months old.

not worthy,unless intent to renew COE after 10 Years,

why must be Audi A4?

what if i tell you there are used car dealers posing as direct owners? 

For direct owners to ask for prices higher than wat a used car owner is asking does not make mathematical sense at all... 

ah.. ps.. i misunderstood...   both are used car dealer prices... 

Edited by SuPerBoRed

not worthy,unless intent to renew COE after 10 Years,

why must be Audi A4?

Not necessarily A4 - just liked the car model..thats about it. 

some of the common complains on A4 is that it consumed Motor Oil.

I know the 2.0T was famous for it. Not so sure of the 1.8T 

2009 B8 A4, high chance you will have high EO consumption.

Is it a 1.8 or 2.0? If 1.8, dep about 14.5k which is high. If 2.0, good price.

if mileage is truly what the dealer claims, check for service records if it tallies. Look at the interior condition and seats. They might give you a hint to the true mileage.

Dealer will tell you no issue with high EO blah blah blah. Look at the exos if it is VERY black with soot. Those cars with high EO consumption will have very black exos tips. Of course they might have been cleaned but some may forget. If you are lucky, owner may have changed pistons before which will resolve the issue. If not, you will be looking at about 6k at least to fix this.

CVT in the 1.8 generally OK, but may have TCU failure if above 100k. about 1k to 2k to replace.

Stronic in the 2.0 will also give problems sometimes, couple of Ks to change out the MU.

Other things will be stuff like bushing, engine mounting, water pump if high mileage. And possibly absorber too. (Car with Audi Drive Select absorbers not cheap due to electronic damping. ~$700 each)

If you like this model, just get ready to set aside min 10k for wear tear replacements and other possible failures and you should be OK

The 1.8 is nice to drive and my B8 didn't have any issues in the 5yrs I drove it other than the aircon fan (2 big fan in front) failing.

I had to top up 1 liter of EO every 2500km and my exos tip was already very black. 2500 is considered acceptable by PA standards and in the owner manual btw.

Those jialat ones are every 500km topup 1 liter.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hi All,

Please kindly advise or share your experience as im looking at a Alfa Romeo A147 2L.

↡ Advertisement