Wall Electrical Socket

Vratenza

Need some advise here from Home DIYers ( and I don't mean people who DIY at home @chowyunfatt  :D )

My home renovation is about 5-6yrs old. At least 2 of the wall electrical sockets are in this state:

post-24957-0-36566200-1490414357_thumb.jpg

I think the black stump that the long screw is drilled into broke off at the base. 

What are my options to remedy this?

(mods, I used the search button for various permutations of what I wanted to find but came up naught. Please help me merge into any of the existing thread as you deem fit.)

↡ Advertisement

Need some advise here from Home DIYers ( and I don't mean people who DIY at home @chowyunfatt :D )

My home renovation is about 5-6yrs old. At least 2 of the wall electrical sockets are in this state:

20170219_212439.jpg

I think the black stump that the long screw is drilled into broke off at the base.

(mods, I used the search button for various permutations of what I wanted to find but came up naught. Please help me merge into any of the existing thread as you deem fit.)

Epoxy

The true cure all

Twincharged

Deleted

Need some advise here from Home DIYers ( and I don't mean people who DIY at home @chowyunfatt :D )

20170219_212439.jpg

Search for this in taobao app.

86型底盒修复器维修暗盒修理插座线盒修补螺丝孔螺母损坏补救撑杆

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

Need some advise here from Home DIYers ( and I don't mean people who DIY at home @chowyunfatt  :D )

attachicon.gif20170219_212439.jpg

I will pray doubly hard for you. Hope that undertaker will not take you.

[laugh]

• Praise 2

Use putty, or if you want long term fix, see where the screw is broken, or if the bracket where the screw is broken, replace it with some generic bracket from DIY shop.

I can see wires behind. I wouldn't advice a long term fix to replace the whole bracket for someone who is not into DIY. Beside need to disconnct the live wires. Though easy job, but dangerous for people with little experience.

I feel just push it back, use epoxy if needed if the fixture does not stay in place, and finish off with putty to fill the gaps

What I did was drill a hole into the concrete wall at where the black stump was suppose to be, put in a rubber wall plug into the hole I drilled and use a (much) longer screw, insert thru the hole of the face plate and fasten directly into the wall plug that I inserted. 

• Praise 1

shift house

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Black stump ? meaning plastic wall plug ?

You can replace the wall plug easily, but be careful to shut off the AC breaker first.

Supercharged

Black stump ? meaning plastic wall plug ?

You can replace the wall plug easily, but be careful to shut off the AC breaker first.

I think he is referring to the plastic posts in the back box

wall_socket_back_box-07.jpg

Deleted

Search for this in taobao app.

86ååºçä¿®å¤å¨ç»´ä¿®æçä¿®çæ座线ç修补èºä¸å­èºæ¯æåè¡¥æææ

nice!

Remember to connect these to the earth for safety reason

• Praise 2

nice!

Trouble is TS doesn't appeat to have one of these boxes fitted.

I thought for inset socket these boxes were a must.  ????

Supercharged

I thought for inset socket these boxes were a must. ????

me cock eye, didn't see properly.

I assumed it has a proper back box and the plastic post snapped.

ya, should be. only 60 cents nia. Easy Peasy, just remember to flip down the MCB. 

nice!

TS switch is built in wall. This bracket is for on the wall which is for us HDB dweller who don't mind being less aesthetic.

And from TS's picture, I can't tell is there is enough concrete mass there for a wall plug to be drilled and plugged.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

I thought for inset socket these boxes were a must.  ????

:o  :o But is actually easier for them to do it with a concealed box than without  [:|]

TS switch is built in wall. This bracket is for on the wall which is for us HDB dweller who don't mind being less aesthetic 

This is a conceal KO box, surface boxes usually don't have the round cutouts. Concealed sockets/switches does not mean no need base box. 

Edited by Othello

think mine also don't have the plastic box, cost cutting. One of them loose, I twisted to peek through, no casing.

:o  :o But is actually easier for them to do it with a concealed box than without  [:|]

This is a conceal KO box. Concealed sockets/switches does not mean no need base box. 

↡ Advertisement