Garmen tackling fake news trolls beware

Staff69

My senior once told me:

It is easy to know total truth and total lies

But when truth is mixed with lies, that's hard

Senior's hard truth :(

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Fake news is a real problem. Just look at the US. Or check out the youtube... And don't think only the poorly educated are likely to fall for it. Who here has not forwarded some fake news received on whatsapp?

• Praise 2

They did not fake any news, just that they will try their best to publish news that is related to government agenda. I called it selective news..

In anyway we still need alternative news to have diverse news. I think government understand that.. But they are cracking their head on how to fix the fake news.

Selective news is probably even worst than outright fake news. Cos it has the veneer of official respectability to con people.

You think they are after outright fake news?

You have too much faith in them already, you fell for selective news.

They ALWAYS have fork tongue, it will be used as a tool to suppress alternative views.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Selective news is probably even worst than outright fake news. Cos it has the veneer of official respectability to con people.

You think they are after outright fake news?

You have too much faith in them already, you fell for selective news.

They ALWAYS have fork tongue, it will be used as a tool to suppress alternative views.

Well, think of it this way. The alternative news also never do their homework well and keep let government shoot them back, they also publish some news from anonymous person or source without verifying the facts ( I posted on my above post it is actually a challenge to verify facts for alternative news). So now who is more intelligent? Alternative news or government?

If we have very intelligent government running the country, at least we do not need to worry about Singapore future even if there are some tradeoff.

If alternative news play it very intelligently, then government will not have much chance to shoot them back and will not talk about curbing fake news as they will be intelligent enough to not to let government catch them.

I am not trying to side government, but just let you know that there are a lot more to just what you said to suppress alternative views.

Here mcf also have a lot of alternative views, why government never mention on curbing people speaking on forum website? Coz we are more intelligent then those alternative news which sometimes really face palm, and you know what? Government may take some ideas from intelligent post in forum and take into consideration. Government like intelligent people and if those ideas can make Singapore progress, why not?

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

How does a piece of news consider a fake news? Cannot just consider it a rumour and clarify if it is not true and leave it as that? 

If it involves Gahmen or national security, then is 'fake news'

If not, then is just talk cock.  :D

The thing is that look at TRS posting. There are some they just take whatever source they come from and many are anonymous. So when some people (not from trs) just want to have fun or their mind is just want to spin story, they just send whatever creative story they could think of and send to TRS. Then TRS will post it on their website.

So now how?

Its very difficult to verify whether the information is true or not especially from anonymous people. Plus don't think TRS have the resources to verify information that sometimes need to check with many departments. You think NEA, SPF, mindef will entertain TRS to ask for more information from some anonymous person claimed that he/she was the victim of what happened etc that involved NEA personnel (for example) etc..

And as of now government is very kind to TRS, online citizen and etc alternative news media already. The fake news will always be there as long as there is no cooperation between alternative news and government agencies..

They not the only one. But All Singapore Stuff is the worst.

Well, think of it this way. The alternative news also never do their homework well and keep let government shoot them back, they also publish some news from anonymous person or source without verifying the facts ( I posted on my above post it is actually a challenge to verify facts for alternative news). So now who is more intelligent? Alternative news or government?

If we have very intelligent government running the country, at least we do not need to worry about Singapore future even if there are some tradeoff.

If alternative news play it very intelligently, then government will not have much chance to shoot them back and will not talk about curbing fake news as they will be intelligent enough to not to let government catch them.

I am not trying to side government, but just let you know that there are a lot more to just what you said to suppress alternative views.

Here mcf also have a lot of alternative views, why government never mention on curbing people speaking on forum website? Coz we are more intelligent then those alternative news which sometimes really face palm, and you know what? Government may take some ideas from intelligent post in forum and take into consideration. Government like intelligent people and if those ideas can make Singapore progress, why not?

+1

Alternative views are okay as long as they are constructive and intelligently expressed. Not anyhow anyhow shoot.

• Praise 4

I get what you are saying, but just don't have the same conclusion.

wrt to mcf, people talking in a forum is just 1 step up from the coffee shop, its not the same as what is commonly considered news.

Its like someone talking at a coffee shop is not the same as someone giving a speech on TV.

Do I trust the govt when it comes to abuse of such powers? Definitely not.

Want to fight fake news, start with making our MSM credible, then take it further.

At this point in time, the greater evil here isn't fake news.

Twincharged
(edited)

If it involves Gahmen or national security, then is 'fake news'

If not, then is just talk cock. :D

They not the only one. But All Singapore Stuff is the worst.

+1

Alternative views are okay as long as they are constructive and intelligently expressed. Not anyhow anyhow shoot.

It's like playing a chess game.. Don't know why they so stupid and like to walk into the mouse trap knowing that there are mouse trap in front.

Example.

One anonymous person email or message all Singapore stuff with regard that he is unfairly treated in mindef (for example) and all are over him and he have to suffer for 2yrs in NS. Then all Singapore stuff post the juicy news in their website. Don't all Singapore stuff knows that by posting this unverified post can led to government to shoot them back?

What the alternative news should do is to get more details from the person who wrote in, like the person name and contact numbers and ensure that the number could be contacted and is the real person. Then they could email mindef to ask for more details and if many tries they no reply or just beat around the bush, then by all means post the news as they tried all their best to ensure the person is authenticated and also contacted mindef for answer but no reply etc.

So when they post that article, it will be more reliable and government will not be able to shoot them back but instead get mindef to answer them. If there are really lapsed on mindef side, they will take action and to improve on the situation.

This is one example of the how to deal with the situation intelligently and not just any anyhow post articles without thinking of consequences.

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged
(edited)

I get what you are saying, but just don't have the same conclusion.

wrt to mcf, people talking in a forum is just 1 step up from the coffee shop, its not the same as what is commonly considered news.

Its like someone talking at a coffee shop is not the same as someone giving a speech on TV.

Do I trust the govt when it comes to abuse of such powers? Definitely not.

Want to fight fake news, start with making our MSM credible, then take it further.

At this point in time, the greater evil here isn't fake news.

Yes, true that.. So all the more alternative news should play it intelligently and live to fight another day. That's also how opposition party survive right? Don't so stupid go walk into government mouse trap. Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged
(edited)

Just so happened saw this latest article from All singapore stuff.

https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/netizen-fumes-after-student-fined-100-underpaying-10-cents-bus-fare

​Now, don't know whether All Singapore Stuff had emailed to relevant agencies for answer. At least give them a chance to investigate and answer All Singapore Stuff back, if lets say no reply for weeks, then of coz post it la. But before post the article, must also ensure to call the member who send in the picture and verify everything etc,

​Did all Singapore staff do that? if not what if lets say this person did not pay bus fare and even quarrel with bus conductor? Then it is a totally different case already. Anyone can post whatever he/she likes to spin the story. If it is really just 10 cents and did not quarrel with bus conductor etc, then maybe they will reply back and say will give withdraw back the charge and to remind them to pay the correct fare.

​Even if relevant agencies reply back saying still must pay even if it is 10 cents, then well at least All Singapore Stuff have black and white and can post the article. Let people to judge whether this case really lack of compassion.

​Government agencies sometimes will give chance one. So this is just one side of story and need to look at what All Singapore Stuff action on this piece of news too.

Edited by Yewheng

Turbocharged

So how do we report fake news har? For example you buy a car and AD say must buy insurance and take loan. Then you find out later others didn't. Is that fake if you share it in MCF? [:|]

Go to any new condo launch, you see all the units stamped 'sold', Then you realize actually still available. So this fake is also news or just advertising? [confused] 

• Praise 1

(edited)

how ah gong going to catch the analist and fake experts giving fake news?

they say market up ... but no up

they say it's time to buy but then price crash

i trust them with my life savings and cpf but they spread fake news ... [laugh]

some more they called themselves simi ... p***simi guru

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

(edited)

The thing is that look at TRS posting. There are some they just take whatever source they come from and many are anonymous. So when some people (not from trs) just want to have fun or their mind is just want to spin story, they just send whatever creative story they could think of and send to TRS. Then TRS will post it on their website.

So now how?

Its very difficult to verify whether the information is true or not especially from anonymous people. Plus don't think TRS have the resources to verify information that sometimes need to check with many departments. You think NEA, SPF, mindef will entertain TRS to ask for more information from some anonymous person claimed that he/she was the victim of what happened etc that involved NEA personnel (for example) etc..

And as of now government is very kind to TRS, online citizen and etc alternative news media already. The fake news will always be there as long as there is no cooperation between alternative news and government agencies..

Which is worse?

Fake news or 1/2 truths / cherry picking what to report / don't report (e.g. what good oppositions had done) / nonsensical supporting (raised water price to make citizens aware) / fail to challenge illogical reasons (in the election premise but not within 200m radius)

Sometimes fake news are created to stabilise a country or keep people together.

In short not all take news are necessarily bad. All serve to distort the truth.

Then under the law, a wrong is a wrong.

Edited by Still2016
  • Praise 4

which is worse - only hear good news? [sly][laugh]

Quote :     to your post

Unquote : Nowadays, better to "Quote" and "Unquote" to reply....

To save oneself from kena charge for 'fake' news ..... :a-m1524:

So your 'hear good news', real or fake ... :XD:

• Praise 1

Which is worse?

Fake news or 1/2 truths / cherry picking what to report / don't report (e.g. what good oppositions had done) / nonsensical supporting (raised water price to make citizens aware) / fail to challenge illogical reasons (in the election premise but not within 200m radius)

Sometimes fake news are created to stabilise a country or keep people together.

In short not all take news are necessarily bad. All serve to distort the truth.

Then under the law, a wrong is a wrong.

hahaha but some people want exclusive rights to distribute fake news. that's the real problem lor

so its not fake news they are after, its unfavourable/uncomfortable news.

getting closer to 1984.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

So how do we report fake news har? For example you buy a car and AD say must buy insurance and take loan. Then you find out later others didn't. Is that fake if you share it in MCF? [:|]

Go to any new condo launch, you see all the units stamped 'sold', Then you realize actually still available. So this fake is also news or just advertising? [confused] 

I don't mind if this kind of fake news is removed but how do you classify it?

One of my pet peeves (mentioned a few times on the forum) is about police incompetence in Singapore and one of the examples I bring up is the issue where the police inspector in charge of an alleged rape case tested the wrong car seat (right instead of left).

Obviously I don't remember the facts 100% so is it fake news if it was a police Sargent who made the mistake instead? What about if it were the left charge instead of the right?

Because I criticize the govt, they might catch me and say I am spreading fake news (and they might not be wrong) but is it material?

Meanwhile, SPH publications like Straits Times writes obvious bulls**t with no crackdown.

Edited by Kusje

Supersonic

It's like playing a chess game.. Don't know why they so stupid and like to walk into the mouse trap knowing that there are mouse trap in front.

Chess game is where both sides starts with the same pieces and all pieces can make the same moves. 

This is more like dungeons and dragons with the govt being the dungeon master (that doesn't like you). They'll toy around with you for a bit then when they get bored or annoyed that you refuse to surrender, it will be ROCKS FALL, ALL OF YOU DIE.

↡ Advertisement