Garmen tackling fake news trolls beware

Staff69

Beside TLH, another daring opponent is JBJ, I met him in person for a long chats at JB in his last 15 years of life.

Soft spoken kind elderly look, throught out our conversation, I didn't hear him say a word of "regrets" about his suffering staying in JB rented house and materialism is what majority wants and the change is nothing easy.

Wow.. didn't know he was living in JB towards the end.

Shamefully.. I admit that in my youth, Fed on a diet of straits times, I tot he was someone to be avoided like the plague.

Older and wiser, I realised the incredible power of sublimely conditioning people through propaganda.. from laughing at silly North Koreans to a horrible tot that they were a mirror.

Would have loved to be able to speak to someone like him just for the experience

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hmmmm  experiences ?  :a-fun:

Sorry, I virgin.. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] All is hear from the group of tikos here..

ok.. let's phrase it this way...  wats non-offensive to you and me...

can be misconstrued in a totally different way.. 

today you and i can find it funny... tomorrow it may be a different story.. 

Things can and will be distorted to serve difference purposes..  

Who will be the one to say whats offensive and whats not? 

Russel peters i know.. he is hilarious to me! 

But the same joke.. can offend the extremist to commit offences.. and may offend the moderate to varying degrees. (case in point.. paris nov 2015 attacks)

In a time when the world is dealing with sensitive issues related to religion..  i personally think my enjoyment can be reduced as long as no extra wounds are reopened.

If what you mean is context, yeah, I understand what you mean.

I don't draw any lines at jokes, as least, not those I consume. I'll read / listen to racial / religious / sexual jokes, and if it's funny, I laugh. But at the end of the day, I understand that not everyone will find the same things funny, and so, I don't repeat what I consume, not to general audience or friends anyway, maybe just a few closer ones who share the same kinda humour.

I have a lot more to say on this topic, but MCF is an open forum, so, maybe when we get a beer together. Til then, cheers!

• Praise 3

Wow.. didn't know he was living in JB towards the end.

Shamefully.. I admit that in my youth, Fed on a diet of straits times, I tot he was someone to be avoided like the plague.

Older and wiser, I realised the incredible power of sublimely conditioning people through propaganda.. from laughing at silly North Koreans to a horrible tot that they were a mirror.

Would have loved to be able to speak to someone like him just for the experience

I enjoyed as much as like talking to my own father.

Remember he said that if nobody allow fair and genuine argument or criticism, the system may deteriorate noting worse of belonging to draconian.

At his mount Vernon funeral parlour, I kneeled besides his coffin to express my last heart felt messages...

Sir JBJ we the minority citizens here understands and appreciated your unselfishness and sacrifices. You may leave it to others to continue and rest in peace.

• Praise 3

Sorry, I virgin.. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] All is hear from the group of tikos here..

If what you mean is context, yeah, I understand what you mean.

I don't draw any lines at jokes, as least, not those I consume. I'll read / listen to racial / religious / sexual jokes, and if it's funny, I laugh. But at the end of the day, I understand that not everyone will find the same things funny, and so, I don't repeat what I consume, not to general audience or friends anyway, maybe just a few closer ones who share the same kinda humour.

I have a lot more to say on this topic, but MCF is an open forum, so, maybe when we get a beer together. Til then, cheers!

bro... this sat got MU at springleaf.. 7pm... come if u wanna... but no bear there... kopi ai mai?  [laugh]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Ponding? Really?!

Once in 50 years? Really?!

Must be fake reporting lah.....our MIW so smart...where got make such blatant mistake one.... :D 

now thats a good reason to get a yacht :D our elite very good business minded dont u think [grin]  

Double post is the in thing now ......... double the happiness too :XD:  

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 5

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/spread-falsehoods-about-police-action-will-be-taken

Spread falsehoods about police? Action will be taken

Those who deliberately spread falsehoods about the police and other public institutions will soon be taken to task, Minister for Home Affairs K. Shanmugam said yesterday.

"The time has come for us not to simply rebut, but to actively deal with it, so that the people who seek to profit from such conduct will actually feel the pain of it," he said. "We are looking at it and something will be done."

He was replying to Mr Lim Biow Chuan (Mountbatten), who asked if the police would consider taking action to protect their reputation when false and malicious allegations are made.

Mr Shanmugam, who is also Law Minister, cited a recent public perception survey where over nine in 10 people said the police demonstrated core values of courage, loyalty and integrity. This has led to an "enormous reservoir of trust".

Consequently, the police will investigate any allegation thoroughly and issue a public response rebutting the allegations if they are untrue, he said. He noted that sociopolitical website The Online Citizen "in particular glorifies in running the police down with a series of untrue stories", and cited a recent instance where it falsely alleged that police officers had accused a wheelchair user of motorcycle theft.

ST_20170404_VNSHANMUGAM_3051955.jpg

Law Minister K. Shanmugam.

Related Story

Fake news: Current laws 'offer limited remedies'

Related Story

Examples of falsehoods in Singapore and other countries

Mr Shanmugam noted that the police are not immune to making mistakes, saying public servants who commit crimes have faced the consequences. Genuine feedback could sometimes be made in error.

But what is objectionable are deliberate falsehoods, he stressed.

"If there is no wrongdoing or misconduct and you deliberately accuse to pull down the institution by manufacturing lies, and if public trust in police is eroded and they can no longer enforce rule of law effectively, all of us will be the worse for it," he said.

Rachel Au-Yong

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 04, 2017, with the headline 'Spread falsehoods about police? Action will be taken'. Print Edition | Subscribe

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

We are not a perfect country, but we are way better than the commie.

Many people criticse us simply because we are much succcessful than them

Are we very successful?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/spread-falsehoods-about-police-action-will-be-taken

Those who deliberately spread falsehoods about the police and other public institutions will soon be taken to task, Minister for Home Affairs K. Shanmugam said yesterday.

"The time has come for us not to simply rebut, but to actively deal with it, so that the people who seek to profit from such conduct will actually feel the pain of it," he said. "We are looking at it and something will be done."

He was replying to Mr Lim Biow Chuan (Mountbatten), who asked if the police would consider taking action to protect their reputation when false and malicious allegations are made.

Mr Shanmugam, who is also Law Minister, cited a recent public perception survey where over nine in 10 people said the police demonstrated core values of courage, loyalty and integrity. This has led to an "enormous reservoir of trust".

Consequently, the police will investigate any allegation thoroughly and issue a public response rebutting the allegations if they are untrue, he said. He noted that sociopolitical website The Online Citizen "in particular glorifies in running the police down with a series of untrue stories", and cited a recent instance where it falsely alleged that police officers had accused a wheelchair user of motorcycle theft.

Related Story

Related Story

Mr Shanmugam noted that the police are not immune to making mistakes, saying public servants who commit crimes have faced the consequences. Genuine feedback could sometimes be made in error.

"If there is no wrongdoing or misconduct and you deliberately accuse to pull down the institution by manufacturing lies, and if public trust in police is eroded and they can no longer enforce rule of law effectively, all of us will be the worse for it," he said.

Rachel Au-Yong

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 04, 2017, with the headline 'Spread falsehoods about police? Action will be taken'. Print Edition | Subscribe

Hmmm I think shanmugan will say to All SG Staff ... Repent ASS !
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

Related Story

Related Story

Rachel Au-Yong

If I say our police is incompetent, is that fake news or not?

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/police-officer-wrong-swabs-taken-rape-case

Can they rebut this report in TNP?

Leehock....you are back! Welcome back to this forum.....

knn.... dun stir liao la.