RIP Othman Wok 1924 -2017

Lala81

Went through the archives abt this man for deeper understanding..

Really can feel his convictions n sincerity for the good of Singapore during its formative years..

As for the current batch, I no feel lei..

Or is it me only..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

Really can feel his convictions n sincerity for the good of Singapore during its formative years..

Or is it me only..

It's definitely not easy for a Malay MP in the 1960s to be part of the majority Chinese govt which was trying to stabilize racial disharmony and riots, not to mention a particularly weak moment in our history when we separated from Malaysia.

Heard from some Malay friends of mine that Othman was booed and branded a traitor amongst Malays when he walked around the predominantly Malay dominated Geylang area. He worked hard to get his message across that it would be better for all races to unite and not have this racial divide. Kudos to him for his efforts and he will certainly go down in our history as one of the many important forefathers that brought us through very difficult and turbulent times.

• Praise 12

We owe it to Othman and many other 1st generation leaders for the racial harmony we enjoyed in Singapore today. This has been something I am very proud of, and a must share with my friends and visitors from overseas. To some, it is almost beyond imagination to have people of different races seated together to have a meal, let alone to engage in conversation in a free and open manner. No this don't happened by chances, but through the hardwork of our 1st generation leaders, fighting against all odd to unify the nation and bring it citizens together!

I kept reminding my children that don't take racial harmony for granted, as simple things such as making fun of certain races may provoke them and cause unnecessary tension in long run, no joke. I sincerely hope everyone reading this can bear it in mind. We emerged as a strong nation partially because of the social security (racial harmony is one of the core) we enjoyed and so please treasure it.

RIP Mr. Othman Wok. Your valuable contributions to the national will be remembered.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 20

Or is it me only..

The current ones are "No Money No Talk !".

They joining politics as career ambitious professional for high earnings.

Our old guard leaders jointed politics to bear lot's of sacrifices and life risking for nation building.

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 6

Our old guard leaders jointed politics to bear lot's of sacrifices and life risking for nation building.

The 1st gen guards had nothing to begin with......either succeed or die as a nation. They had the fortitude and gumption to forge forward.......as leaders they had to!
  • Praise 2

The 1st gen guards had nothing to begin with......either succeed or die as a nation. They had the fortitude and gumption to forge forward.......as leaders they had to!

The major credits of nation building belongs to our very first team of selflessly brave old guard politician leaders whom dare to stand firm against umno and odds.

Our country success in buildings peaceful harmony society and economy progressive owed to the whole team of old guard leaders in theirs deep conviction and solidarity with our people's.

• Praise 2

The major credits of nation building belongs to our very first team of selflessly brave old guard politician leaders whom dare to stand firm against umno and odds.

Our country success in buildings peaceful harmony society and economy progressive owed to the whole team of old guard leaders in theirs deep conviction and solidarity with our people's.

yup....so true! They had nationalism and communism to contend with. And the odds were not in our favor but luck and our strategic location, leaders and populace that worked hard were all we had. If we had stayed with Umno....i think i would now be an old mat rempit.....eh...i did that when i was younger...
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Sad to agree. I grew up with some of the younger miws. Before mp-ship all very vocal will stand up for this and that. After elected.... haiz...not a whimper. I am disappoint

RIP sir

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 2

Sad to agree. I grew up with some of the younger miws. Before mp-ship all very vocal will stand up for this and that. After elected.... haiz...not a whimper. I am disappoint

RIP sir

Those who had grew up with the old guard leaders era will never see eye to eye with any of the current leaders.

Simply...patriotism is the element that is bonded in each other more than trusting.

Patriotic leader stands out in calling rather then monetary rewards.

RIP to our last old guard patriot leader who had greatly appreciated by Singaporeans born in the 1950's.

I am now weeping of his lost and finally the distinction of such great human being.

Yes, I truely loved all old guard leaders of Singapore.

Edited by 2BDriver
  • Praise 8

Think he's the last prominent old guard.

I read in today ST that of the 10 cabinet Ministers who signed the separation treaty, only 2 are still alive. Ong Pang Boon aged 88 (Education Minister) and Jek Yuen Thong aged 86 (Labour Minister)

• Praise 7

I read in today ST that of the 10 cabinet Ministers who signed the separation treaty, only 2 are still alive. Ong Pang Boon aged 88 (Education Minister) and Jek Yuen Thong aged 86 (Labour Minister)

the sg50 NDP celebration, the old guard that could attend was only othman wok and some other guy which I'm not familiar with.

• Praise 3

I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you can appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together – Marilyn Monroe

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15